Wanting to Buy a Condo in Punta Cana Area

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Why on earth buy in PC? Look around first. Rent for a time and see the country. You will certainly change your mind and will buy elsewhere.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
My sum is the same as yours:

Deposit 42,000 with bank compounded:

2.5%

7,000 dollars.

42+7 = 49 !!!!!!!

I discount the rent I receive by 50%!

Your financial analysis ???????

If I live in the property - not rent it and otherwise I would have paid 3oo a month the figure is far more favorable than I quote.

It's not a good idea to raise money on DR property. On UK property you would pay 4% only.

It's much cheaper to buy than to rent if your timescale is more than 5 years 90% of the time.

In 1985 I was offered a great plot of 2,500 dollars in DR - I missed that one.

10% cap rate is nonsense - Europe mortgages are 2 -4%.

pi2

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
pc is very favorable at this time.

I guess this thread is dominated by people who invested in GM shares 6 years ago!'

S.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
About the Europe mortgages of 2 to 4 %, you have to add to be fair that those are the variable ones which means that they are subject to change every year and up then in this case because lower then 2 to 4 %? Don't think so.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Yes, but the case is still intact. When Worldwide inflation is high rates will increase. Still, all things being equal DR prices will rise with inflation.

I for one don't want to pay nearly $4,000 a year to rent a property that a couple of years ago was worth 50K.
I can also be asked to move out at short notice.

Yes there may in hindsight be better invstments. If 2 yars ago I invested all in coffee futures - or 5 years ago gold ?

pi2

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Us too are not the kind that want to rent the whole of our lives, its a waste of money, all the improvements you make to the house is wasted money because once you move, they are not yours anymore, always have to deal with a landlord is not our most wanted thing also, we like to be boss in our own house.

And we want to buy or build because we are Belgians and there is a saying that Belgians are born with a brick in their stomach :)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Yes, but the case is still intact. When Worldwide inflation is high rates will increase. Still, all things being equal DR prices will rise with inflation.
Accomplishes nothing UNLESS it rises at a rate substantially higher than inflation.

pi2 said:
I for one don't want to pay nearly $4,000 a year to rent a property that a couple of years ago was worth 50K.
I can also be asked to move out at short notice.
Read up on Dominican landlord laws. One can NOT require a tenant to move out on a short notice. Many genius first worlder real estate investors have found out the hard way.

pi2 said:
Yes there may in hindsight be better invstments. If 2 yars ago I invested all in coffee futures - or 5 years ago gold ?
Your investment in PC has risen at 8% a year IF you can sell it at those prices. In the same time inflation in the DR has run about 7% per year.

Tell me again about the ROI?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
My rent has been stable for 3 years. In real terms, my rent has decreased almost 20% in the same period.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Let me be clear: own all the property in the DR...or even Detroit...you want.

Just don't say it's a better financial deal, because in today's world it is often not.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Accomplishes nothing UNLESS it rises at a rate substantially higher than inflation.

Read up on Dominican landlord laws. One can NOT require a tenant to move out on a short notice. Many genius first worlder real estate investors have found out the hard way.

Your investment in PC has risen at 8% a year IF you can sell it at those prices. In the same time inflation in the DR has run about 7% per year.

Tell me again about the ROI?

No in dollars inflation has not take place.

5 years ago a grande beer on the beach was 10o pesos now the same : peso rate 30 to now 38.

Inflation rate - 4%.

Fish fillet was 150 lb - now 120 lb.

Pizza 220 pesos now same price.

etc. etc.

pi2

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
No: there is a saying 'buy on the dips' - many foreign investors are buying property in the US at the moment.

There is a new bill being presented to make it more attractive.

Many people who bought in London UK last year on the dip are looking at 30% profit in 1 year.

Interest the banks are paying relative to inflation is now negative. DR economy is growing stronger - gold mines opening up - nickel prices up - agricultural produce price up e.g. coffee 50% up! - bananas etc. up - energy investment such as wind farms and HEP are now paying off.

S.

Actually nickel prices are down because supply outnumbers demand. Housing prices don't always work the same way. I bought a house in Jarabacoa but my situation is different than most. My wife has a business and she wanted a place close to it, and we wanted to have room to put up a teacher or two from out of country or visiting family and still have privacy. My wife also has an extreme aversion to renting or borrowing money. Mission accomplished. I understand both points of view and agree that both can be right or wrong depending on many variables. Renting first makes sense to me. If you are staying long term buying makes sense, but all this depends on income, sense of belonging....many other factors. Do what's best for you, but don't whine if it doesn't work out.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
No in dollars inflation has not take place.

5 years ago a grande beer on the beach was 10o pesos now the same : peso rate 30 to now 38.

Inflation rate - 4%.

Fish fillet was 150 lb - now 120 lb.

Pizza 220 pesos now same price.

etc. etc.

pi2
Like I said, finance and economics is not your thing.

You seem to confuse "exchange rate" with "inflation rate" like you confuse "cap rate" and "mortgage interest rate." Not the same, and they don't necessarily trend in the same ratios.

My figures came directly from the Central Bank; THEY report a substantial inflation rate in the DR.

If you weren't a relative newcomer you'd understand the inflation that has really wracked the DR.

Enjoy your great investments. Buy more.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
You find out what a property is worth when you sell it. Lets see you sell it, then talk. These people who say rent really know what they are talking about. Many learn the hard way. Good luck to you, either way.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The value of ANYTHING is what you can get when you need to sell it.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I've just taken possession of my new condo in P.C. (el Cortecito). The place is BEAUTIFUL and the dream of a lifetime. It cost more than I originally intended to spend, (by my choice), but in my mind, as of this moment, worth every penny and the small patches of irritation.

AS an investment? I guess only time will tell, but I would not recommend it as a short term investment, OR if you think you might need to suddenly sell due to insecure financial situation ... over the long run I feel it will likely be a good one. BUT... this is a place for ME, in a place that I really enjoy, and I don't view it as a money maker. I am NOT naive enough to think it will in any way be a sure bet though, and I would not approach such a purchase unless I was able to pay for it without relying on income from rental which I have no intention of doing right now, (although I'm pretty confident if I were to rent it, there would be at least a little offset of operating costs.)

BTW... this afternoon I just finished going through the photos, and will post them online soon.

The Capt'n... (and the ADMIRAL is sitting here too. LOL)

island lovers

Feb 24, 2007
For some reason I was advised to rent when I moved here 6 years ago. Bad advice. I'm so glad I bought!
In a couple of years the complete purchase price will be repaid from rent saved.
People were saying such things - can you afford to loose half your money etc. etc.
Yes now in the DR condos start at $30k. But the cheapest is not always the best. It used to be 15K.

For sure cement, labor, wood etc. will rise in price.

Good luck with the purchase!

Punta Cana is becoming the international hub of the Caribbean!

My previous post was deleted - perhaps for mentioning other sites - sorry - I'm a newbie!

pi2

I don't know ..call me old school... but if I can't own it , I don't want it .....and as far as price, would like to stay around $1ook but will go up to just under $150k ( for the Property tax situation)

Thanks for your input, Mark