water purification?

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
I have been here for more than 2 years and use the damn tap water to wash my hands, rinse my face, clean the utensils dishes, boil vegs.. you know it is getting into my GI tract ..It is amazing i havent been sick yet or no anal itching.

TP666

Sep 6, 2005
5 gallon jugs are also toxic with the plastic used. Better but the water becomes toxic. Better to drink wine in glass bottles

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Waitaminute... I'm relocating in about a month and am bringing my cat. Will he have to drink bottled water or risk him getting the runs?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
My cat and dogs drink tap water and they seem to be fine ( mad as hatters but physicaly fine).....
They do prefer drinking from the pool though..... says it all I suppose!!!

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I may err on the side of caution and give him bottled water. Even with stone floors, cleaning up kitty mess es no bueno!

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
I have been here for more than 2 years and use the damn tap water to wash my hands, rinse my face, clean the utensils dishes, boil vegs.. you know it is getting into my GI tract ..It is amazing i havent been sick yet or no anal itching.

true - the longer you are here - the more tolerant to the water you become. By the way - in the water lab test report we posted earlier : when they say "Classification: No apt for the human use, according to the norms of quality of the water. " this includes bathing. Especially for small children and women. We had the water tested as a 1 or 2 year old was having all kinds of skin issues.
Waitaminute... I'm relocating in about a month and am bringing my cat. Will he have to drink bottled water or risk him getting the runs?

Cats don't drink much - so spend the extra peso. And our cat drinks from the pool, as well.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
cats and dogs in our house drink tap water. cats are dominican viralatas, high immunity. dogs are giant, they drink the water, step into the bowl, spill it and so on. i change they water twice a day and their bowl hold approximately 3 buckets worth of water. no way i give them bottled stuff.

May 29, 2006
Cats and dogs have a lower pH in their stomachs and shorter GI Tracts. Both factors reduce the chance of getting sick from bad water. Dogs regularly eat the feces of other animals without consequences.

May 29, 2006
Alright, so i am new to this site, don't live in the DR but my fiancee does and i am thinking of moving there. I am looking into starting a business that uses a lot of water.

Is Dominican city water in Santo Domingo safe to drink after it has been boiled? What are some of you expats with businesses like restaurants doing for serving water to customers? My fiancee says she doesn't drink the stuff and i know has always gotten the purified water in the 5 gallon jugs for home.

I will have to do more research on water purification to see if there is something i could do at the water source (carbon filter i suppose would help but that's not purifying but will pull out chlorine taste) - I would just like to know what others are doing to get around this problem, if anything!

Thank You

The OP may want to check out similar industries in the DR and find out what they do..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Cats and dogs have a lower pH in their stomachs and shorter GI Tracts. Both factors reduce the chance of getting sick from bad water. Dogs regularly eat the feces of other animals without consequences.

i will also add that we regularly deworm the whole lot.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
a company is Cab/Sosua has an ultra-violet light system.
My friend uses it for her inflow - whole house inflow- drinks from any tap she wants.

She sent her agua to the US for testing and it passed w/ flying colors.

about $2000US for the system

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Much Adue About Nothing"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your GI tract will get used to the new "Bugs" here in a matter of months.
You WILL be ingesting bacteria, and virus here, weather you have a "System" or not.
You get 100 times more "Bugs" every time your fingers enter your mouth, than from drinking the water.
Save your money, drink Brugal!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
I use tap water to flush my toilet, eash dishes, clothes and me. I would not ingest water from the tap ever. Boiled or not.