Weapon Permits

pescador

Apr 19, 2004
Other option

God bless Texas! Not so hard to get a permit here, and we're in agreement with 10 other states so that eachother's permits are good for their states also. And if you do shoot in self defense, the cops are on your side all the way!! (except maybe a few antigun cops out there)

Anyway. At least you can buy and carry a can of pepper spray in the DR.
and you can walk with it in the palm of your hand at finger tip ready without raising any eyebrows. Also beef up on your selfdefense fighting. Spray'em, kick out a few teeth so they give it a 2nd thought before robbing another guy, and quickly leave the scene!!!

revolver - auto...Its a matter of what fits you and you're most accurate and fastest with. Quality is better than quantity or styl. If you can get both quality and quantity in the same package, all the better.
And Sig is pure quality with added quantity, I"m sure that's why he prefers that than some piece of sheet that will jam or missfire. There's a reason a lot of police departments all over the world carry sigs. (referring to some statement way back early on in this thread about macho pistol hype. )

I've learned also that bandidos tend to hit the unwarry. So allertness alone is also a good deterent, They don't want to take on someone who sees them and is ready for them. A little note: I see also a lot of people who walk with "sticks", for a good reason i'm sure. Not your whimpy lil walking stick mind you.

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
Criss Colon said:
Police,and military are often in situations where you have sustained fire,against multiple adversaries!They are well trained in the use of firearms tactics in pressure situations,unlike the "Cowboys" who want to walk around Santo Domingo with their "Penis" stuck in their waistband!They practice regularly,and know how to maintain their weapons.If their weapon does jam,they won't panic,they will clear it!They usually are not alone,but have others to watch their back!
Is that enough?
Like I said,I am a "Cowboy" at heart,and must surpress the urge to walk around with a pistol in my belt!I try to tell myself I am too mature,but maybe it's because my belt is already on the last notch,and I can't even jam the clip from my cell phone in there!
My Dominican Family is from "Barrio Simon Bolivar",even the Tigres from Capotillo and Cristo Rey won't go there after dark.Forget about a taxi!Rather than a firearm,"Street Smarts" is a better idea here,just like everywhere else.
When I go to Sosua,where I don't know the "lay-Of-The-Land",I stick to the m :rolleyes: ain areas at night,or better still,ride around with Eddy and Escott,they scare everybody!When the "Tigres" see Eddy's jepetta roaring down those narrow streets at 2 am,they dive for cover!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
You mentioned some of the most notorious "barrios" known to man in SD;I'm very familiar with these places; I've been there and done that. La 6 norte has a few "colmadones" that I can almost guarantee you'll find both civilians and policias runnin' amock advertising their pieces, totaling against military rules and regulations. It is my opinion, that "cooler heads" always prevail, and I definately would rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
DRshooter said:
I think that if you are proficient with a pistol, it is a lot better than a revolver. Remember that you never know what situation you will see yourself in. If you carry, why not be prepared for the "worst case senario" If you are under pressure, 5-6 shots might not be enough. If you choose to engage in gunplay, running out of ammo is not good.
If you can't practice, then don't carry.
And don't be a macho prick... carry concealed all the time.. don't show off your iron... it's a recepie for disaster.
My 2 cents..
I agree with you; here's a story of a motoconcho (true story)
This guy is a motoconcho; one day, he bought a pistol that was made in Argentina, and rather than concealing it always advertised.

One day, he picks up a guy who hops on the bike, and after 15 minutes of riding around doing errands, grabbed a platano and put it to the guys back and told him "gimme your money and your pistol" the motoconcho had no choice but to oblige. He eventually got his bike, gun and his platano back, after paying a large sum of money....true story. Moral of the story...
idiotas need not apply for gun permits....

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
Nice to have an Equalizer though.

Argo said:
Why do you feel a "A small revolver is better than a semi-automatic pistol. "

Just curious as almost every Law Enforcement agency and Military worlwide have switced to pistol's, something they are not aware of?

A>

Well I have just renewed my licence at a cost of 7,500. pesos, maybe I am one of a handfull who actually has one.. Like a 38. special revolver myself. Never jams or missfires. If you need more than 6 shots then you are in the wrong area my friends..I use the oil from the fried Bananas. seems to work.Cheers. M.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
While driving toSan Juan de la Maguana, on the lone stretch of road leading into Azua, my car was blocked by two men in a pickup. I managed to stop about ten yards away. As the men just sat waiting for my move, I calmly acated as if reaching under my seat, and then it was my turn to wait and stare at the men, waiting for their move. They looked at each other, pulled back, and drove off. I congratulated myself for a good bluff.
It was then that I decided I needed a gun. I did some research, went to several places, including the 'pol?gono' on R?mulo Betancourt Avenue, and tried many weapons. I found out I was a lousy shot, absolutely no hand-eye coordination. So I finally decided on a Franchi SPAS-12 semi-auto 12 gage shotgun, short barrel, pistol grip, and folding stock, with a 30 cartridge bandana. A very impressive weapon indeed, very photogenic (it's been in many movies, including Terminator). For someone who can't shoot a cow at eight feet, and likes to bluff his way out of trouble, I highly recommend it.

Mirador

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Kaizen68 said:
.... grabbed a platano and put it to the guys back and told him "gimme your money and your pistol" the motoconcho had no choice but to oblige. He eventually got his bike, gun and his platano back,

When you outlaw platanos, only outlaws will have platanos.

I like the part of the story that in addition to the money and gun he retreived the vegetable as well. Which technically wasn't his to start with so he made a small profit.

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
Mirador said:
While driving toSan Juan de la Maguana, on the lone stretch of road leading into Azua, my car was blocked by two men in a pickup. I managed to stop about ten yards away. As the men just sat waiting for my move, I calmly acated as if reaching under my seat, and then it was my turn to wait and stare at the men, waiting for their move. They looked at each other, pulled back, and drove off. I congratulated myself for a good bluff.
It was then that I decided I needed a gun. I did some research, went to several places, including the 'pol?gono' on R?mulo Betancourt Avenue, and tried many weapons. I found out I was a lousy shot, absolutely no hand-eye coordination. So I finally decided on a Franchi SPAS-12 semi-auto 12 gage shotgun, short barrel, pistol grip, and folding stock, with a 30 cartridge bandana. A very impressive weapon indeed, very photogenic (it's been in many movies, including Terminator). For someone who can't shoot a cow at eight feet, and likes to bluff his way out of trouble, I highly recommend it.

Mirador
Ah yes...! spas 12 nice hardware...!
They're highly recomended because if pointed in the direction of the target, you don't have to keep your eyes open and still manage to get a pellet or two imbedded. :cool:

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
ricktoronto said:
When you outlaw platanos, only outlaws will have platanos.

I like the part of the story that in addition to the money and gun he retreived the vegetable as well. Which technically wasn't his to start with so he made a small profit.
lol I seriously doubt he was hungry after that fiasco. :smoke:

DRshooter

Apr 23, 2004
Kaizen68 said:
Ah yes...! spas 12 nice hardware...!
They're highly recomended because if pointed in the direction of the target, you don't have to keep your eyes open and still manage to get a pellet or two imbedded. :cool:
I like the M4 super 90 from benelli... the spas is nice too..

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
Robert said:
Unlike some, I actually live and work in Santo Domingo.
I don't live in a casuacha in Capotillo, I like to think of it as more of an apartment in Julieta.

Kaizen68, when your next in Santo Domingo I'll introduce you to some real tigueres.

Next....
I've seen tigres come and go;Capotillo, Simon Bolivar,Ca?itas, 24 d Abril, Gualey, bottomline is their all the same; they draw their strength from peolple's fears; I've also seen them abroad in my tour of duty; Colombia (participated in the drug interdiction there, Pablo Escobar land), Haiti (remember Raul Cedras?, I was there), Operation Just Cause (Manuel "cara de pi?a" Noriega), Korea (DMZ "training") , Germany (before unification, tracking down "moles" "narco traffickers"), Desert Shield, and then Desert Storm (yep, those years of hardwok at the NTC in Calif. paid off here!), Afghanistan you say? (made many Rusky friends while they battled my cohorts from the Muhajhadeen army, now these are real tigres!), well, I won't bore you with my life experience with tigres, I think if you want to meet tigres of high caliber, with no regards for human loss, c'om on down and face the music. :devious:

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
What about Knives, can I legally carry my buck in my pocket?
Also, I like to keep a large dog at home, will that be an effective deterrent in SD?
While I'm asking, what about crossbows, spearguns, tasers, other alternative weapons?
Any regulation concerning Body Armor?

Last edited:

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Kaizen68 said:
I've seen tigres come and go;Capotillo, Simon Bolivar,Ca?itas, 24 d Abril, Gualey, bottomline is their all the same; they draw their strength from peolple's fears; I've also seen them abroad in my tour of duty; Colombia (participated in the drug interdiction there, Pablo Escobar land), Haiti (remember Raul Cedras?, I was there), Operation Just Cause (Manuel "cara de pi?a" Noriega), Korea (DMZ "training") , Germany (before unification, tracking down "moles" "narco traffickers"), Desert Shield, and then Desert Storm (yep, those years of hardwok at the NTC in Calif. paid off here!), Afghanistan you say? (made many Rusky friends while they battled my cohorts from the Muhajhadeen army, now these are real tigres!), well, I won't bore you with my life experience with tigres, I think if you want to meet tigres of high caliber, with no regards for human loss, c'om on down and face the music. :devious:

Oh lord,:rolleyes:. If you've been to these place then why are you trying to make Santo Domingo seem so dangerous.

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
Leonel

Question:

Beyond what Leonel has done regarding cancelling all of the "permanent" licenses, does anyone know if he has any further restrictions planned?

Thanks!

Solituna

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
It's dangerous even in the Vatican

xamaicano said:
Oh lord,:rolleyes:. If you've been to these place then why are you trying to make Santo Domingo seem so dangerous.
Dominican Republic can be just as dangerous as any other part of the world; I'm not being pessimistic nor paranoid, but a good rule of thumb, is to be aware of your surroundings whereever you are abroad and at home. My girlfriend's brother got robbed (at gun point ) by two men, less than a block from his house (consindered one of the best and safest neighborhoods to live in!); profilers will tell you, the more these guys get away with it, the bolder they become, they become more agressive and daring, and may even come down to killing a person for a merely pair of shoes, a belt ( worth 'bout 300dop) and 2000dop. WATCH YOUR BACK.!

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
Legal Residency

How Does One Establish Legal Residnency In The Dominican Republic If You Live In The Usa?
Theres Gotta Be A Way, Shyt Were Dominican For Crying Out Loud.
And How Much Do I Have To Pay To Get It Done?
P1