Western Union In Sosua?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
But you got paid in pesos, right? How big of a hit did you take on the exchange rate?

I send reguarly swiss francs to the dr, recieved in pesos, like monthly.*
The way I do it is get a friend or relative to go to office and send cash ( for lots of diffrent reasons, i prefer cash ). Same day delivery to my door in dr. The exchange rate is waaay better than if i changed swiss francs here in the dr. End of september I was in switzerland. I phone my wife and ask local exchange rate ( caribe express, popular.....). It was 43. Something. Via express was 46. ( after 2 o'clock central european time, it always gains a xouple of decimals then ).*
But sometimes I need the swiss francs in the dr. What I have done a couple of times is send myself, for pick up at popular, ban reservas, etc, swiss francs through via express. I get an adress and a code and can pick up the currency I paid with in switzerland, in my case swiss francs. I travel to the dr and a couple of days later I go and pick it up.

If the delivery is in pesos, u can pick them up an hour after the transaction back in europe. If in foreign currency they need a couple of days.

donaldd

Oct 16, 2016
a follow up to the October 2016 post. After cancelling the transaction I had the the money resent. On October 17 the money was here again. This time ,however, I wanted to prove that the business practices at WU in Sosua were fraudulent. Consequently I drove to Puerto Plata to do the transaction. Ipresented all the documentation and they offered me pesos or dollars. The exchange rate was exactly as posted on their website. I opted to take dollars. NO problem , No scam, No little pieces of paper with what they would pay me. This is proof positive that Sosua WU is a SCAM and stealing your money.

donaldd

Oct 16, 2016
follow up to Western Union Scam. Cancelled the transaction. Had the money resent. Drove to Puerto Plata. Was asked if I wanted the money in Pesos or Dollars. Exchange rate was exactly as posted on WU website. Opted to take Dollars. No problem. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH WESTERN UNION IN SOSUA< THEY ARE STEALING YOUR MONEY

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
malko; You had us on a wild goose chase with that Ria instead of Via, what is the exact website for Via because I see various sites relating to that .... !?

cavok; Thanks for checking the Banreservas.... (too good to be true and all that).

For info, I have received MoneyGram order, paid in cash in their US local branch and received here at BHD/Leon and got the USD cash without any issues, cost was $8 for $1000 sent.

Also about MoneyGram an attempt was made first to do it via bank transfer and online, they wanted extra information and after a long question and answer session on the phone (it was just for $200 then), we gave up doing it online and cancelled the order in favour of paying cash at their local branch (which was easier, just needed US driving license). It seems nowadays they have to investigate vigorously the online transactions, the origin and destination.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
malko; You had us on a wild goose chase with that Ria instead of Via, what is the exact website for Via because I see various sites relating to that .... !?

cavok; Thanks for checking the Banreservas.... (too good to be true and all that).

For info, I have received MoneyGram order, paid in cash in their US local branch and received here at BHD/Leon and got the USD cash without any issues, cost was $8 for $1000 sent.

Also about MoneyGram an attempt was made first to do it via bank transfer and online, they wanted extra information and after a long question and answer session on the phone (it was just for $200 then), we gave up doing it online and cancelled the order in favour of paying cash at their local branch (which was easier, just needed US driving license). It seems nowadays they have to investigate vigorously the online transactions, the origin and destination.

Sorry, but I do use both.

Same principle, only Via is new in Geneva, so much less queuing up at the agency there. Yes, I do it the old fashion way, in person and in cash ( or send someone *do it for me ).

Also I set up my accounts yeaars ago for myself and for the people I ask to send me money.
I had to give ID, sign forms ( money is legal, from salary, blablabla....), phone numbers ( there and here in the dr ), *dr adress.....
Once that its done you bet a card with a number on it. All you have to do then, is present card, give money and voil?.
I have to keep it easy and simple, so as not to put out the people who send me my money.

Oh and in both agencies you can also do bank to bank transfers, which I never do. You pay with a credit card there and it credits your bank account here.

The website is www.viaexpress.ch *( but I have never visited it ).

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Read the fine print.

No Fees

No fees on transfers over $5,000.*

*Please note that the recipient bank or intermediary bank may assess fees on the transaction
That's the charge as controlled by DR banks not FOREX

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Yes true but that's not often Hopefully

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If it sounds too good to be true - you've obviously overlooked something.

Agreed. *We used moneygram for years, had to drive to Atlantic City, brother had to go pick it up in SD, one time his middle name was omitted and they wouldn't give it to him, etc. *

Now we use xoom. Costs a tiny bit more because of the lousy exchange, but no driving and feeding meter, and it's in brother's bank account in about an hour. *He pays a lot of our bills online so easy for him and he doesn't have to fight SD traffic either. * Time is money too. *