Whale Watching 2017

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Try to book with Kim Beddal in Samana. She is the tour guide and also a scientist who has studied the whales for years. Her boat is a good size and has a enclosed cabin or you can be on the top deck and the fresh air. I would recommend staying inside if you get the least bit seasick. It is stuffy and you will feel the rocking of the boat. Worth the trip.

Have heard not many whales this year.  True or False?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Have heard not many whales this year.  True or False?

I think it varies from week to week. Your best bet would be the Samana Bay. I went on the whale watching tour a few years ago and we saw four or five. Generally you see a mother with a calf or a couple of males showing off breaching. Many time they dive under for 10 minutes or more before re-surfacing . I would go and take my chances and not worry about quantity. It's a nice day for a boat ride around Samana Bay, stopping at Cayo Levantado. A little touristy there with the all inclusive hotel but beautiful beaches and water. You can get a drink and something to eat and relax in a lounge chair and if there weren't many whales you can people watch.