WHAT ARE THE SIGNs OF A BAD LAWYER or CROOKED LAWYER

Status
Not open for further replies.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Many, many lawyers seem to have gotten their law degree in a cereal box.

Do as much as you can on your own, w/o a lawyer.
Lawyers.
Accountants.
Doctors.
Plastic Surgons.
Dentist.
Mechanics.
Electricians.
Plumbers.
Teachers.
Professors.
Hair Stylist.
Police Officers.
Military Brass
Shall I keep going?

Welcome to Wonderland.

• Love
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009

WHAT ARE THE SIGNs OF A BAD LAWYER or CROOKED LAWYER​

ouuu that's quite easy; Check his ID ! If it has "Dominican Republic" on it. .....

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Question to anyone that has deal with law firm or lawyer in the past … also if there are any lawyers here feel free to answer

There are some CIVIL COURT legal matters ( real estate , inheritance , Lawsuit , etc etc etc ) that I most likely need help with within the next few months in DR, however I am pretty sure I won’t be able to afford a HUGE law firm like gúzman Ariza which I understand it has a very good reputation and it is trustworthy… MY question is to y’all is are there any precautions that me as a CLIENT can take in order to NOT get screw by a Dominican lawyer ?

My Dominican friend told
Me NOT to sign anything meaning a contract between “client & attorney” and just hire the lawyer for the JOB you need him for and pay him his dues…that way he can NOT have any power over you as far quitting his services or leaving him OR him having a power attorney over you …,

Any other precautions one may take to assure you will NOT be a victim of a “shady lawyer” ?
You sure have a lot of questions and issues. Maybe you're in the wrong place, or perhaps scale back on the Royal Shaves in Dubai. Gallup doesn't even put out as many polls as you. Btw are you Dominican or gringo?

Reactions: MariaRubia

rey

Jan 2, 2007
You sure have a lot of questions and issues. Maybe you're in the wrong place, or perhaps scale back on the Royal Shaves in Dubai. Gallup doesn't even put out as many polls as you. Btw are you Dominican or gringo?
That was before I move here ;;;; I now feel
Like like I know 100 times more than back when I was in the states thinking about moving here

I am NOW a true DOMINICAN Born in the USA

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Lawyers.
Accountants.
Doctors.
Plastic Surgons.
Dentist.
Mechanics.
Electricians.
Plumbers.
Teachers.
Professors.
Hair Stylist.
Police Officers.
Military Brass
Shall I keep going?

Welcome to Wonderland.
Every now and then, someone comes along and says it point blank in a simple fashion where is no doubt to the accuracy. The wonderland thing gets a little corny though lol

Reactions: CristoRey

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Lawyers aren't all that expensive here, certainly way cheaper than the US or Europe. I would recommend using a really good one firm. Always ask for a fixed price, always negotiate. They can often make it cheaper by using a junior solicitor who is supervised by a partner. If it's real estate and your first residency, go with Guzman Ariza, they're decent price-wise and they will not allow anyone to do anything dodgy - and people won't mess with them as they are known to be completely straight. They have a good business, they can survive on charging what they charge, so there is no need for them to take back-handers.

For other matters, like if you're about to enter a scrap with someone or having trouble with the authorities, then ask for recommendations. Dr Guzman's suggestion that you check with your embassy is a good one. A lot of things move in Dominican Republic based on who you know and a decent, well respected, lawyer is worth his/her weight in gold here.

People have told me that the only way to survive here is to "smile sweetly and hold a big stick". Your lawyer should be that big stick.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Has anyone in the DR ever been helped by the embassy of their country of origin, as was recommended by Dr. Guzman?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Has anyone in the DR ever been helped by the embassy of their country of origin, as was recommended by Dr. Guzman?
When I had that altercation in La Mulata in 2004 Bill Kirkman the owner of Sea Horse Ranch was representing the US Embassy {not on my direction] and showed up. I had two very good lawyers snd they told him in no uncertain terms to get lost. They said the US Embassy is useless at best and could even hurt our case. As you know everything worked out fine for me without any US Embassy "help"...................

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Every now and then, someone comes along and says it point blank in a simple fashion where is no doubt to the accuracy. The wonderland thing gets a little corny though lol
Thanks... i think.

As a guest, I've always been the type to laugh and crack jokes when it comes the weird sh*t these folks do rather than complain, scold or belittle them. Life is short so I'm doing my best to enjoy it while it last.

Reactions: drstock

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

I've discussed a problem with my ambassador but in truth they didn't do a great deal to help. The Dominican ambassador in my home country has helped me once or twice though. Embassies definitely have a recommended list of law firms though it's usually on their website.

Makinbacon

Oct 30, 2019
Question to anyone that has deal with law firm or lawyer in the past … also if there are any lawyers here feel free to answer

There are some CIVIL COURT legal matters ( real estate , inheritance , Lawsuit , etc etc etc ) that I most likely need help with within the next few months in DR, however I am pretty sure I won’t be able to afford a HUGE law firm like gúzman Ariza which I understand it has a very good reputation and it is trustworthy… MY question is to y’all is are there any precautions that me as a CLIENT can take in order to NOT get screw by a Dominican lawyer ?

My Dominican friend told
Me NOT to sign anything meaning a contract between “client & attorney” and just hire the lawyer for the JOB you need him for and pay him his dues…that way he can NOT have any power over you as far quitting his services or leaving him OR him having a power attorney over you …,

Any other precautions one may take to assure you will NOT be a victim of a “shady lawyer” ?
They will say
My friend, we are friends etc
No eye contact
Slow to respond to questions
Answers are vagur and convoluted
Re negotiation of price

Status
Not open for further replies.