What driving looks like in the Dominican Republic?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
You are a really bad motorcyclist as far as awareness goes, I give you 100% for prediction or is that guesswork but I'd not be comfy twosup/pillion.

Ok maybe I'm being a pussy.
But yours/thier dogs are beautiful.

Last edited:

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Well maybe Mr. Cocoboy will see why I will not drive in the DR and prefer a driver at times, instead of criticizing me.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Absolutely insane! Thanks for reminding me why I never, ever, drive there.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
I don't understand all the hub-bub; this is the way you drive a motorcycle and this motorcycle is perfect for this kind of job.
It probably looks "scary" to people that don't drive a motorcycle but there was not 1 moment where it became dangerous!

Great video Pichardo!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I don't understand all the hub-bub; this is the way you drive a motorcycle and this motorcycle is perfect for this kind of job.
It probably looks "scary" to people that don't drive a motorcycle but there was not 1 moment where it became dangerous!

Great video Pichardo!

Although I agree with you in part. There are moments where he uses the force rather than intelligence. The colmado bikes at the junction while he is picking up speed, twice while worming through traffic he cut directly rather than from behind making it more difficult for a guy in conversation in the 4x4 to see and react to him passing along. I saw a few bad examples of motorcycle riding there, I'd not be happy pillion on some decisions, but yes in general we tend to have to make the odd unsure move in traffic to get anywhere, but it isn't rule book riding, by any stretch of the imagination. People who would drive like that ALL the time in the city would inevitably take a few knocks from time to time, maybe worse. As far as the car traffic was, it was very reserved and chilled, I have no idea why the 'crazy' traffic reaction had effect on those two.
(no, I'm not a novice biker, been riding for over 30 years)

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Although I agree with you in part. There are moments where he uses the force rather than intelligence. The colmado bikes at the junction while he is picking up speed, twice while worming through traffic he cut directly rather than from behind making it more difficult for a guy in conversation in the 4x4 to see and react to him passing along. I saw a few bad examples of motorcycle riding there, I'd not be happy pillion on some decisions, but yes in general we tend to have to make the odd unsure move in traffic to get anywhere, but it isn't rule book riding, by any stretch of the imagination. People who would drive like that ALL the time in the city would inevitably take a few knocks from time to time, maybe worse. As far as the car traffic was, it was very reserved and chilled, I have no idea why the 'crazy' traffic reaction had effect on those two.
(no, I'm not a novice biker, been riding for over 30 years)

My reply was indeed mend for the 2 "crazy-reaction".
I agree that there were some situations that are questionable and could be handled different.
Traffic was quite slow and not packed.
If it was me I would have put on gloves; all the time!

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Yeh yeh yeh! Got same bierdy going on:chinese:, I wouldn't worry, by capital standards that was a relevantly perfect ride.:classic:

170148000111222083414.jpg

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
I feel like I need to give my feedback because I just drove across the country between Puerto Plata/Cabarete/Santo Domingo via Moca y La Vega and found drivers to be quite civilized and especially aware of their surroundings. I got lost and got caught up in traffic as well (for 1-2hrs because of the Femenicidos events) so I've had my fair share of driving there.

They seemed to respect their lanes as well as right-of-ways. I also really liked the momentum concept. Horns help to make sure one is aware of someone else's presence.

Quite possibly the likelihood of getting in a fender bender is increased but for expat drivers, our home country may be just as fatal!

The Most Dangerous Countries to Drive In - Safe Travel
Ten Dangerous Countries For Drivers - Forbes.com
List of countries by traffic-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have to say driving here looks a lot worse when you are a passenger. i had guests close their eyes, shriek, hold onto the car door :) when you are not used to dominican traffic it looks bad and you feel you will never be able to drive here.

in PL i never had a driving license and i never drove a car. no, i did actually, once, my parents bought me some lessons as a gift. but my experience was limited, to put it mildly. i learnt to drive in DR and at first i was so scared i had stomach cramps a day before when i knew i was going to drive. in time things got better. now i drive all the time, as far as santiago and inside santiago too (looking forward to a trip to SD one day, when we have plenty of time because i am not as fast as miesposo). and i can tell for a fact it ain't that bad. you keep your eyes open, look in the mirrors and try to see everything at the same time and you are fine.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
frank, my friend, you are nuts :) the fastest i go there is 110km/hr at which point the audio effect in my car is like being inside a mobile screws and bolts factory :)

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
Here's a short video I took, nothing crazy happens, just enjoying the great traffic on a Sunday afternoon in my beloved Santiago.

[video=youtube;IYZK0NbbzUc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYZK0NbbzUc[/video]