What Fish, for Fish n Chips?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I was watching some "proper fish and chips" Videos, and was very surprised to learn they actually BOIL the Potato (chips) first .. and were not just talking blanching them, but actually get them to an almost Soft stage.. then refrigerate them, to stiffen them up a bit . and then they go into the deep fryer, when the Fish are ready .... holy moly that's a lot of steps ... never knew that is how they get so crispy on the outside, and soft on the inside but it makes perfect sense ..

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
My original reply was blocked because there was not enough RD in it. SO here goes.
The RD is not much different than other countries when it comes to marketing fish. Here in RD we get what we are told we are getting, even if it is wrong. I have shopped in several large stores in RD and found the clerks at fish counters do not know what they are selling. Not much different than Countries outside the RD.
In Nova Scotia where my home is located in a Fishing Village; we shipped Salt Cod and Pollock to RD and Caribbean for hundreds of years. Now the RD gets its salt cod from China...it is very good fish.

As for Mero , I use it for fish n' chips here in the RD.

Outside the RD in places like England a lot of Dogfish are sold as Harbor Hallibut and Channel Salmon. I have not seen that product here in the RD.
Salmon sold here in RD is basically from Chile and is farmed.
I live half of my time in RD and the rest worldwide ; fish is my first choice if the server can tell me what it is with confidence.
Frozen Boston Blue Fish was at Tropical in POP back years ago ; but not since they closed.
Boston Blue fish are Pollock under a different name.

Many times when ordering fish here in RD especially if getting two fillets; they would be different species.
I mix cayenne pepper into most dishes including the fish n' chips here in RD.. instead of paprika .... but then again I like spices.
Russell

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Sardines that I eat are not from RD.
They like cooler waters.
Basically small herrings.
But here in RD they fry canned sardines ''Paco'' or ''Brunswick'' brands.
We Mari-timers living in RD eat them right out of the can.

We catch sardines in the Bay of Fundy and Gulf of Maine and process for sale in places like the RD.

I have seen fresh/frozen fish called sardines here in RD but do not actually recognize them as the northern species of sardines.

A good 'Mom and Pop' Fish n' Chip restaurant would do well here in RD in the corect location... if they use cayenne pepper in the mix..LOL

Russell

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
I found the Groper.... BUT !

Back Home..... we fry Chips to eat at Home.

In the early Spring (when the potatoes are last years, older, and drier) we can single fry them.

But....
As the Summer progresses the “newer Potatoes” arrive. We quick fry them, take them out to cool (continue to cook) for 30 to 60 minutes, the re-Fry them.

About Groper.... I was at the Playero today.... they have frozen Groper..... W.O.W. The price.. !!
three thin fillets.... 765 Pesos.
This is not thick enough for Fish-n-Chips, and is NOT food for the Poor!

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
What fish, does a person order, on the Beach, now ? ?

Another (related) question....

for years... we would go to the Beach and the Wife would order Parrot Fish.

Now... Parrot Fish is a.... no no .

So.... the question...

What fish, does a person order, on the Beach, now ? ?

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Depnds on the beach in question. I have seen hogfish, vermillion snapper, porgy, red snaper, small grouper, all of which are excellent choices IMO