What is a living wage?

Aug 6, 2006
"Living Wage" seems to mean several things here. (1) what some people pay their servants, compared with the going rate, and (2) what people must pay to survive in some healthy fashion. As I understand it, rent varies a lot between different parts of the country more than any other expense. What would be a minimal dwelling (a tin roof with access to water and electricity, both sporadic, bucket flush toilet) might cost RD $1500 in a poorer part of the country like Azua or Barahona could cost two or three times as much in Sto Domingo or the South coast and probably less in some small village away from the power grid. Food costs clearly vary if someone grows his own vegetables or raises his own chickens or livestock.

I think any rational person can agree with CC that there is a huge difference between enough and almost enough. Poverty is virtuous perhaps for nuns and monks whose medical needs are taken care of and who have no children to raise. Children make one's cost of living unpredictable.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
"Living Wage" seems to mean several things here. (1) what some people pay their servants, compared with the going rate, and (2) what people must pay to survive in some healthy fashion. As I understand it, rent varies a lot between different parts of the country more than any other expense. What would be a minimal dwelling (a tin roof with access to water and electricity, both sporadic, bucket flush toilet) might cost RD $1500 in a poorer part of the country like Azua or Barahona could cost two or three times as much in Sto Domingo or the South coast and probably less in some small village away from the power grid. Food costs clearly vary if someone grows his own vegetables or raises his own chickens or livestock.

I think any rational person can agree with CC that there is a huge difference between enough and almost enough. Poverty is virtuous perhaps for nuns and monks whose medical needs are taken care of and who have no children to raise. Children make one's cost of living unpredictable.

Good point about prices in different areas. When I learned our caretaker was renting a house almost immediately behind our property for 1000 pesos a month, I pictured them living in a lean-to without water or electricity. I was surprised to see the house, wasn't bad at all, I've seen much worse. I didn't go inside, but I know they have decent appliances because we gave him all ours when we re-did our kitchen. Even the cabinets.

I'm sure I'm not alone in that we give more than money to those who work for us in DR. Those of us from 1st world countries can't imagine trying to live on $500 or $1000 a month, but many, many people do, and not just in DR.

Aug 6, 2006
Your generosity is a major part of his family's income. Appliances are generally bought on some sort of payment plan, and can cost double the original price, and generally only used ones are affordable. I travel around a bit and talk a lot with poor people, especially in the Barahona area. Where rent is reasonable, it is often because the landlord is a relative.

In the US, the Rent-To-Own stores provide new furniture and appliances, and they can cost many times what one could purchase them for with cash. One advantage that most Dominicans have is that in the DR one need not worry about freezing to death as in most of the US.

sonrisa

Dec 23, 2008
What do school teachers make? I have a friend whose mother is a public school teacher in Bonao with 20 years experience and I thought I heard she made about 20,000 per month or about the same as a colonel in the army. Is that about right? How about a new teacher? I'm putting together a survey on approximate DR salaries/earnings and will post my findings/inputs from others in the near future. So any input on any other work salaries from waiters to bus drivers to doctors would be appreciated.

sonrisa

Dec 23, 2008
Cost of Living comparison provided by Cost of Living says the after tax average wage in Santo Domingo is $649 U.S. dollars are about 27,000 RD$. Compared to some of the figures presented, this sounds high unless this is a per household figure or is made out-of-balance higher salaries paid to a few, thus the average or "mean". I'm thinking the "median" with an equal number of cases above and below the median may be more helpful. Such figures may be hard to come by, thus the approximate amount each area of work is paid can be interpreted for what it is.

billma90

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
just wondering

Cost of Living comparison provided by Cost of Living says the after tax average wage in Santo Domingo is $649 U.S. dollars are about 27,000 RD$. Compared to some of the figures presented, this sounds high unless this is a per household figure or is made out-of-balance higher salaries paid to a few, thus the average or "mean". I'm thinking the "median" with an equal number of cases above and below the median may be more helpful. Such figures may be hard to come by, thus the approximate amount each area of work is paid can be interpreted for what it is.

What would the entertainment staff make per month at the AI resorts. Lead singers and the dancers?
I have been to Puerto Plata at the Iberostar many times and always wondered but not comfortable to ask.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"billma", don't bother asking!
People who work in "AIs" always "Low Ball" what they are paid.
That is to make the "PC" visitor crowd want to help them out!
Some/Many, hotel employees are able to generate more income by scamming, and/or, providing "Other Services" to guests.
Every time we stayed at the "Embassy Suits" in Juan Dolio, the waitress would bring us a cup of coffee, AND, a nice "BJ" for my friend!
And we ALL Know about the "Sanky's", and "Sankyettes"!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"PS", I seldom agree with "Bob", but one thing he ain't is "Stupid"!!!!
You too might not agree with him, but you are the ones who look "Stupid" with your unfounded insults.
"Smart" now has a few days to ponder his use of insults.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
What do school teachers make? I have a friend whose mother is a public school teacher in Bonao with 20 years experience and I thought I heard she made about 20,000 per month or about the same as a colonel in the army. Is that about right? How about a new teacher? I'm putting together a survey on approximate DR salaries/earnings and will post my findings/inputs from others in the near future. So any input on any other work salaries from waiters to bus drivers to doctors would be appreciated.

it depends. a public teacher is a teacher paid not by school but by the ministry of education. they can actually hack up quite a good money, despite often being dumb and not even remotely qualified for the job. each turn (morning classes, afternoon classes) is something like 16k so a teacher who does both will have 32k plus.
there is also another type of a teacher, "private", employed by the school. btw, i am talking about public schools only, they have both "public" and private" teachers. this teacher gets pennies, really. half of what public teachers make. or less.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
"billma", don't bother asking!
People who work in "AIs" always "Low Ball" what they are paid.
That is to make the "PC" visitor crowd want to help them out!
Some/Many, hotel employees are able to generate more income by scamming, and/or, providing "Other Services" to guests.
Every time we stayed at the "Embassy Suits" in Juan Dolio, the waitress would bring us a cup of coffee, AND, a nice "BJ" for my friend!
And we ALL Know about the "Sanky's", and "Sankyettes"!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"PS", I seldom agree with "Bob", but one thing he ain't is "Stupid"!!!!
You too might not agree with him, but you are the ones who look "Stupid" with your unfounded insults.
"Smart" now has a few days to ponder his use of insults.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

So sorry CC. I didn't realize we were suppose to be nice to each other.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
perhaps you can enlighten me on how anything i've said presents a myopic world view.

Hmm,

Allow me to respond with some vintage BSism:

"Give me three examples, all cited and cross-referenced, as to how anything you've said doesn't present a myopic worldview."

If you don't respond within 30 seconds, I'll declare "victory" and talk about all the Dominican generals in my family who also moonlight as Animacion dancers, in order to earn a decent wage.

P.S. Welcome back, Bob. :glasses:

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
@everyone who thinks "gringos" cant live with less than a 1000$ a month. I DO. And very ( well quite ) well, thank you very much.
True in campo, but still go to town once a month for " goodies " and a bite to eat.
All in all if I had a 1000$ monthly income, I would be very comftable in the dr, sadly I dont.

Of course essentials were already taken care of before hand ( house, car, batteries/inverser, weapons ).

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
My sister paid her maid 4000 pesos a month for 2 days a week/ 8 hours a day.(that was the going rate in her area)

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Malko,

So, your cost of living doesn't include the most expensive things (i.e. housing, transportation, etc.)

What would you spend if your budget had to account for those items?

In the "Cost of Living" thread, it's been estimated that the general range for living under semi first-world, reasonably middle-class conditions - while taking into account rent and transportation costs - runs about $1500 to 2500 for a single person. That amount increases rapidly when you include a partner and school-age children requiring a proper education (which usually means an expensive "international" school.)

The range depends on where you are living, your diet, and how you spend your money on the usual entertainments. It does NOT account for spending related to drinking, gambling, sanky/chica addictions, etc.

I know a few people who lived in various parts of DR. Some were full-time residents, others snowbirds, generally living in the touristy areas (i.e, Cabarete, Cabrera, Las Terrenas, and the Bavaro/PC area). They aren't spendthrifts, but insist on eating good food, living in safe and comfortable surroundings, like the occasional outing and are social, and spend as much on the internet and electronic gizmos as the next person.

They don't live in palaces, drive expensive jeepetas, have an army of servants, or any ambitions for any of that. Most are either retirees or financially independent enough to be able to work remotely while earning decent (but not great) first-world income.

All but one had partners, and none ever mentioned a number south of $2000. More than a few were solidly north of $3000.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hmm,

Allow me to respond with some vintage BSism:

"Give me three examples, all cited and cross-referenced, as to how anything you've said doesn't present a myopic worldview."

If you don't respond within 30 seconds, I'll declare "victory" and talk about all the Dominican generals in my family who also moonlight as Animacion dancers, in order to earn a decent wage.

P.S. Welcome back, Bob. :glasses:

LOL. You must have me confused with someone else. No Dominican military or police in my wife's family. I pay attention to past and current events. I was subjected to daily intelligence briefings on the world's trouble spots, as view by the Canadian Intelligence Service. Not trusting Military intelligence( often considered an oxymoron) I did my own research on many of the subjects brought up. I could be more current than I am on many things but the importance of many subjects don't hold my interest like they did before I had my surprise (to me) quadruple bypass. It cost us varying amounts per month to live here and I honestly don't pay strict attention to it. We pay no rent, and our electrical bill for the house is small- less than 700 pesos a month, but we also pay for the school, an apartment building, and my mother-in-laws house. Same for water. The school cost 2500 pesos per month for water and around the same for electrical, and 2400 for internet and phone. Gas for the Santa Fe is usually about 3000 per month, but we had to make two trips to Santo Domingo and one to Santiago already this month.
I know many , many working class Dominicans and their wages are anywhere from about 5000 per month to around 60,000. Kids usually live at home until they get married or get tired of having to go to a cabana for sex with their partner.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
@drob, yeah been through the thread. I have a partner ( worse even a wife - just kidding ), no kids, 2 dogs and a cat.
Built the house, bought the car and motorbike and all furniture and stuff before we ( i) even came here, but I imagened lots of folk would do the same. Couldnt price it cos my wife built a mansion, and likes big jeepetas, nice furniture and stuff. ( wedding dot one might call it ).

I eat good food ( and from time to time good ole junk food ), enjoy nice wine and spirits ( moderatly ), tour the island from time to time, we both smoke ( major expense )..... all in all enjoy a nice lifestyle, not in need of no nothing... and we do live on more or less 1000$ a month.
I just find things much less expensive than what I regulary hear on dr1.

Example 2 days ago. Leave house with 5000 pesos, imbert-luperon-laisabella-villalaisabella-home. Less than 1000 pesos diesel fuel.
Beach first day luperon playa ( la coulevria or something ) out on a fishing boat, small thing 200 pesos,4 fried fish with platanoes and fries, a coke a water. 500 pesos. Cabana at night 600 pesos. Cigarettes plus loads of coffees 300 pesos. Second day, colons first town 100 pesos visit home made sandwich, max 100 pesos plus water brought with us,. Dominoes and a couple of beers 260 pesos. Down to river doulce d3 mais ( haitian sweet thing ) 40 pesos for 4. Back home. 2 day " holiday" for less 3500 pesos, just under 100 chf. Unbeatable.

So if I can live on that, a full bred dominican should be able to stick in transportation and housing and still lkve very very comfy.
But I am talking about my campo, I can imaging elsewhere being more expensive.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
@drob, yeah been through the thread. I have a partner ( worse even a wife - just kidding ), no kids, 2 dogs and a cat.
Built the house, bought the car and motorbike and all furniture and stuff before we ( i) even came here, but I imagened lots of folk would do the same. Couldnt price it cos my wife built a mansion, and likes big jeepetas, nice furniture and stuff. ( wedding dot one might call it ).

I eat good food ( and from time to time good ole junk food ), enjoy nice wine and spirits ( moderatly ), tour the island from time to time, we both smoke ( major expense )..... all in all enjoy a nice lifestyle, not in need of no nothing... and we do live on more or less 1000$ a month.
I just find things much less expensive than what I regulary hear on dr1.

So if I can live on that, a full bred dominican should be able to stick in transportation and housing and still lkve very very comfy.
But I am talking about my campo, I can imaging elsewhere being more expensive.

Thanks for the information, Malko.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
The key to surviving the DR is to be Mortgage free ASAP!!!!!!! After that is a lil honda 3k generator!!!!