What the hell are we here?

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Here are my reasons why my family and I are moving to DR....

1. Its cheaper to own a home. Try building a home in USA, your looking at at least $200K+. You can build a mansion for that price in DR, including the land. Apart from that, once you own the home, you have to pay taxes on it; my taxes in LI are $6K per year.

2. I love the fact that I don't have to rush my summers. Here in NY we have about 4 months of pleasant summer weather; and during that time is when you have to do most of your activities. The other 8 months you are pretty much hibernating.

3. Its cheaper to vacation. Last time I went to a resort I wound up paying $55US per person per day @Barcelo Resort. I loved it!

4. Night life is much easier and cheaper. When Im down there, I have so many options to hang out at night and drink with friends. Can go to: Puerta del Sol, Ayi Bar, El Fogon, El Coqui, plus tons more. Since I only drink beer (Brahma), my bill is usually between $1000-$2000 pesos for my, wife, and 2 friends. Thats about $30US-$60US; you'll spend that much just to get in the place here in the US.

5. Everything is relatively close; family, work, malls, friends. Most things here in NY are pretty far; I work 30 minutes away, my family is 1 hour away.

6. Parking sucks! Everytime I go to the City I have to worry about finding parking or not getting a ticket by the ticket ferry.

7. Less stress. You are more likely to suffer from seasonal depression in the northern part of the world.

8. Need to do some work to your house? Like cement work or any other work? Get ready to fork out your wallet here. I had to take a tree down in my yard here in NY, was charged $700 to knock the tree down, and that didn't include clean up. A friend did the same in DR, got a local to do it for $1500RD, picked it up and towed it away. And that goes for everything else: gardening, painting, electrical, plumbing, etc.

9. Need a home helper? Get ready to pay $80US for a single family house cleaning here. Much cheaper in DR; they will cook, clean and take care of kids.

10. Health insurance. I pay $350US per month just for me! And thats with my employer paying the other half! If I wanted to cover a family of 4, it would cost me $700US per month.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012

1. Its cheaper to own a home. Try building a home in USA, your looking at at least $200K+. You can build a mansion for that price in DR, including the land. Apart from that, once you own the home, you have to pay taxes on it; my taxes in LI are $6K per year.

2. I love the fact that I don't have to rush my summers. Here in NY we have about 4 months of pleasant summer weather; and during that time is when you have to do most of your activities. The other 8 months you are pretty much hibernating.

3. Its cheaper to vacation. Last time I went to a resort I wound up paying $55US per person per day @Barcelo Resort. I loved it!

4. Night life is much easier and cheaper. When Im down there, I have so many options to hang out at night and drink with friends. Can go to: Puerta del Sol, Ayi Bar, El Fogon, El Coqui, plus tons more. Since I only drink beer (Brahma), my bill is usually between $1000-$2000 pesos for my, wife, and 2 friends. Thats about $30US-$60US; you'll spend that much just to get in the place here in the US.

5. Everything is relatively close; family, work, malls, friends. Most things here in NY are pretty far; I work 30 minutes away, my family is 1 hour away.

6. Parking sucks! Everytime I go to the City I have to worry about finding parking or not getting a ticket by the ticket ferry.

7. Less stress. You are more likely to suffer from seasonal depression in the northern part of the world.

8. Need to do some work to your house? Like cement work or any other work? Get ready to fork out your wallet here. I had to take a tree down in my yard here in NY, was charged $700 to knock the tree down, and that didn't include clean up. A friend did the same in DR, got a local to do it for $1500RD, picked it up and towed it away. And that goes for everything else: gardening, painting, electrical, plumbing, etc.

9. Need a home helper? Get ready to pay $80US for a single family house cleaning here. Much cheaper in DR; they will cook, clean and take care of kids.

10. Health insurance. I pay $350US per month just for me! And thats with my employer paying the other half! If I wanted to cover a family of 4, it would cost me $700US per month.

A fellow brahma drinker.. AWESOME. Btw, regarding #10, I don't have health insurance or anything but was that price quoted in the DR? That's insane, in one year of paying that I could pay for any sort of operation in the DR I could imagine lol.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You only get what you pay for!
I worked in arguably the best hospital in the DR.
I would be much happier,and much safer, paying $350 US a month for heath insurance, than $35 a month in the DR.
Check what you get covered here, compared to the US.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
A fellow brahma drinker.. AWESOME. Btw, regarding #10, I don't have health insurance or anything but was that price quoted in the DR? That's insane, in one year of paying that I could pay for any sort of operation in the DR I could imagine lol.

No, thats in US. Can you believe that? And i still have a $50 copay for regular checkup.

Dec 26, 2011

Dominican labor is cheap. Haitian labor is cheaper, some would even say they're exploited. Contractors and housekeeping services in the US have to charge what they do because they have vehicles with insurance and live in homes with their families and buy groceries and gas where you do.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
A few more....

11. Beautiful beaches. At least compared to NY, DR has 100X nicer beaches. Of course, if beaches aren't your thing you can always go to a 'rio'.

12. Very friendly people; at least in Santiago ;). Try riding a train @5pm in NYC, you can count the amount of hisses, dirty looks you will get.

13. Just about everyone I know here use some type of drug. I teach and most, if not all of my students use drugs. Not only that, many of the instructors also use drugs; I know of 1 teacher that goes to the parking lot during lunch brake to smoke some weed. Then she sprays some perfume and rinses.

14. Too much traffic! Of course, relative to any other place in DR BUT the capital, NY traffic is brutal!

15. I love the fact that I have a avacado tree in my yard.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Post 104 could cause me nightmares on two accounts tonight. One is the memories of living in NY (not even the city, but the state) and drinking Brahma Beer. I am not sure which is worse.

I came here for the Presidente.

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Just to clarify Lisaguass, almost everyone you know doing drugs, that is a positive for you when it comes to the things you like about the DR ?

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
Post 104 could cause me nightmares on two accounts tonight. One is the memories of living in NY (not even the city, but the state) and drinking Brahma Beer. I am not sure which is worse.

I came here for the Presidente.

I am a bit of a an IPA beer snob here in the states. Arguing over Brahma vs. Presidente is like debating between the flavor of desani vs aquafina...all I know is that I crossed over from being considered a tourista to role of amigo in the barrio the day I started enjoying braham over presidente. As long as it is super fria and sparks good conversation, it is all good.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Just to clarify Lisaguass, almost everyone you know doing drugs, that is a positive for you when it comes to the things you like about the DR ?

I mean everyone in NY. Im still here in NY, looking to move to Dr this year.

osirus

Aug 4, 2012
I agree. NY will end up being a city only for the rich. 1 of my Dominican friends enjoyed NY at 1st, but now he's going back to Santo Domingo next year. He said too many taxes, fees, and rent is too high. I'm considered middle class, but even I feel like the cost of living is taking 3/4of my income. After taxes I have even less left over.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I agree. NY will end up being a city only for the rich. 1 of my Dominican friends enjoyed NY at 1st, but now he's going back to Santo Domingo next year. He said too many taxes, fees, and rent is too high. I'm considered middle class, but even I feel like the cost of living is taking 3/4of my income. After taxes I have even less left over.

Tell me about it. When its time to renew your vehicle registration, that will be $150US! Went to get a tune-up, was quoted at $900US for new ignition, spark-plugs, cables, gasoline pump, air filter and labor.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Tell me about it. When its time to renew your vehicle registration, that will be $150US! Went to get a tune-up, was quoted at $900US for new ignition, spark-plugs, cables, gasoline pump, air filter and labor.
OH yeah wait until you have to order parts for a car in the DR LOL....

I have to agree with CCCCCC I like the women, los gallos, Presidente etc etc. I have to move there full time while I can still enjoy all of the three.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010

a tune up includes a new fuel pump????? The new pump might be a big part of that bill if the car is one of the models that has the pump inside the gas tank. (been there, done that). They are supposed to be pretty bullet proof, so you might consider getting a "second opinion" on the new pump part of that repair.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am amazed that someone would not realize that NY City is an expensive place to live. At least they finally came to that conclusion and decided to move somewhere potentially less expensive.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Many foods are half the price of the major US cities.

DR also has many international air routes at reasonable cost.

yapask1

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I will dispute you. Anyone that thinks flying from the DR is cheap does not fly much.

Many foods are half the price of the major US cities.

If you are talking about mangoes and avocados I will agree, but not on most foods.

DR also has many international air routes at reasonable cost.

I know how expensive it is to fly from the DR. Much more expensive than it is from the US. So that is wrong.

yapask1