Whats App connexion to sim card

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
Question: I downloaded the Whatsapp application on my phone associated to my #2 SIM card. Now that SIM card has to be taken out of my phone because that old phone number is no longer active/available (it's been inactive for the last 2 years). If I put in a NEW SIM card #2, with a NEW phone number, does that mean that all my Whatsapp history of messages will disappear? In other words, is Whatsapp data kept in the SIM cardd #2? if yes, that means when I remove that SIM card, all my past Whatsapp messages will be lost.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
As long as you have "Chat Backup" turned on, all your messages will be stored on your phone, and you won't lose them.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Question: I downloaded the Whatsapp application on my phone associated to my #2 SIM card. Now that SIM card has to be taken out of my phone because that old phone number is no longer active/available (it's been inactive for the last 2 years). If I put in a NEW SIM card #2, with a NEW phone number, does that mean that all my Whatsapp history of messages will disappear? In other words, is Whatsapp data kept in the SIM cardd #2? if yes, that means when I remove that SIM card, all my past Whatsapp messages will be lost.
If you go in Whatapps , (3 vertical dots top right) settings, then account and change number. I do not know what's lost or keep.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Also if you look under setting and Chats, you have a few options to back up your chats. I do not think any WhatsApp's history is keep on the sim card, only WhatsApp's association with you phone number.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

Be very careful here. You should never run WhatsApp on a number that you don't have access to. If your phone is stolen the only way to install WhatsApp from a backup requires you to receive a security code by SMS and if the old number is not available you will not be able to do this. I had exactly the same scenario. WhatsApp installed on an old number. Lost phone. I had a backup but was not able to install it. Tried for weeks with WhatsApp support people but without the SIM it is impossible.

I suggest you talk to support people at WhatsApp. They are far better to help you than a forum dedicated to Dominican Republic expats

Reactions: fuchs4d and Uzin

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
Be very careful here. You should never run WhatsApp on a number that you don't have access to. If your phone is stolen the only way to install WhatsApp from a backup requires you to receive a security code by SMS and if the old number is not available you will not be able to do this. I had exactly the same scenario. WhatsApp installed on an old number. Lost phone. I had a backup but was not able to install it. Tried for weeks with WhatsApp support people but without the SIM it is impossible.

I suggest you talk to support people at WhatsApp. They are far better to help you than a forum dedicated to Dominican Republic expats
I'm curious...if you had purchased a new SIM with the same number, would you then have been able to retrieve the backup? I would think so. Also, for those who don't use Two-Factor Authorization for their Whatsapp, take a look at it under the Settings. A little added security doesn't hurt.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
You can take your SIM out and WhatsApp will still work, the problem as described above is when you need to change phone, or reset phone, reinstall WhatsApp, or restore backup etc. , in all cases an SMS code is sent to the registered WhatsApp number, if that can not be received then say goodbye to that WhatsApp account, and all messages lost ..., been there done that ...!

Best is to transfer WhatsApp number to another number that can receive SMS going forward..., follow change number option, this procedure only need to send SMS to the new number...

As someone asked, if SIM lost and another SIM with same number is obtained from provider, then that new SIM can receive SMS, so all will be okay...

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
If you still have your contract with the SIM provider then you are fine. The issue is that a lot of people have their Whatsapp on an old number and the contract for that number finished. In that case, you will struggle to get the SIM provider to give you a SIM with that number.

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
You can simply restore your backup (if you swithed it on) and authenticate the new number. (delete Whatsapp from your phone first, reintall and proceed with your new number, history will be available, your contacts will be notified you use a new number.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
You can simply restore your backup (if you swithed it on) and authenticate the new number. (delete Whatsapp from your phone first, reintall and proceed with your new number, history will be available, your contacts will be notified you use a new number.

This is only possible if beforehand the WhatsApp account is transfered to the new number, using "change number", feature and backed up ... . Otherwise not possible...!

Reactions: MariaRubia

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
This is only possible if beforehand the WhatsApp account is transfered to the new number, using "change number", feature and backed up ... . Otherwise not possible...!
Thank you everyone for your input. I have backed up by chat history, then I will do the 'change number' feature, as recommended. Thanks.

Reactions: cavok

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I have a DR prepaid sim card CLARO downloaded Whatsapp about three years ago but haven't used in long time since I am out of coverage and can't receive messages, I still keep the sim card active doing online recargas.
Question does Whatsapp keeps my account active even the if I don't use it for years?

JJ

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
I have a DR prepaid sim card CLARO downloaded Whatsapp about three years ago but haven't used in long time since I am out of coverage and can't receive messages, I still keep the sim card active doing online recargas.
Question does Whatsapp keeps my account active even the if I don't use it for years?

JJ
If you can connect to the internet with "WiFi" anywhere any country your Whatsapp will work. Whatsapp only uses your sim card number to activate the first time. ( can not be out of coverage if you can connect to the internet). Now I do not know if Whatapp will close your account if not used for long time.

Connect your cell to internet WIFI and try to call one of your Whatsapp contacts. Let us know if it works.

Reactions: bachata

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Reactions: bachata

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
If you can connect to the internet with "WiFi" anywhere any country your Whatsapp will work. Whatsapp only uses your sim card number to activate the first time. ( can not be out of coverage if you can connect to the internet). Now I do not know if Whatapp will close your account if not used for long time.

Connect your cell to internet WIFI and try to call one of your Whatsapp contacts. Let us know if it works.
The problem is that I switched to my US number long time ago, in order to activate the DR number I will need to provide a code sent over the cellphone provider network.

JJ