What's wrong with being a sanky?? Really.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
despite the warning signs and terror alerts about sankies on DR1 why do some people still get scammed ? are the sankies that good ??

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
despite the warning signs and terror alerts about sankies on DR1 why do some people still get scammed ? are the sankies that good ??

A lot of people find this site after they are hooked and it's hard to admit that they too might end up a victim.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Well I don't think that everyone who comes to the DR checks out DR1 first. Those that do, usually come in after they have been sankied.

But that brings up a point. That problem with the "victims" is, that most tend to be the type of tourist who's research consists of, what food is available at the AI buffet, what kind of room service they get with their package, excursions, and what the weather is like. People don't bother to do any research on the country they are going to, which might give them some sort of insight on SOME of the people they will meet.

Somebody going to the DR and getting "sankied" is comparable to somebody going to the wrong place in the US with expensive jewlery on and getting robbed. They can both use the excuse "I didn't know...", but it could have easily been prevented with a little research.

What I was saying with regards to "needing to become a victim" is along the lines of "once bitten, twice shy." Some people don't calculate possible outcomes, and only learn by trial and error, well, if that's the case, let them learn from their errors.

I first went to the DR in January on a 4 month work assignment. I did my research, and economic and social indicators told me to keep my guard. Before anyone gave me any warnings about sankies, I had told myself that a) in peoples eyes I was going to be Uruguayan, and not Canadian (I have dual citizenship, so it's ok. b) I was a volunteer and making little money (although I was making decent money). C) I left my nice watch at home, and only wore it on special occasions. and D) Unless I got to know someone well enough, I wouldn't tell them that I had used to work for canadian immigration. I had made a decision that if I were going to meet girls, that I was going to meet good girls, and not women interested in money or Visas - If I wanted to play that game it would have been way too easy.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that information is power. Having the right information will help you steer away from bad decisions. When you leave your country, things change, you should be prepared to adapt to the change. Unfortunately, most are prepared to drink their faces of and engage in "care-free" fun.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Getting scammed by a sanky is no stranger than getting sucked into Super Keno, an impossible game to win.
One cannot expect tourists to know all the dangers.
If you put out the full list, they wouldn't even come.
These are not people looking to become victims.
They are innocent and the sanky is guilty.
I suggest removing one testicle for the first offense, the other for a second offense.

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
all of this info is great! my first trip to the DR was in july for a stagette/bachelorette party with 5 girls. i did a bit of research before i left and knew a bit about sanky panky but had no idea how bad it could be until we arrived and some of the resort workers flocked towards us gals. at first we didnt think anything of it but as we went along with our trip it was abundantly clear that some of these guys saw us all as opportunities (for money, sex, both...i dont know for sure) but at the end of the day reading some of the stories on DR1 did open up my eyes and i did tell the other girls about it...none of us were "sankified" but when i was in the DR again last week, i could see nothing had changed. same old, same old.

if anything at all, girls (and guys) need to remember that whether you fall for a sanky or not, there is another bunch of potential victims on the next flight in so you just have to be smart about things. falling in love with someone in a week doesnt usually happen back home so dont expect it to when you're on vacation and you're perspective may be a big jaded.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
all of this info is great! my first trip to the DR was in july for a stagette/bachelorette party with 5 girls. i did a bit of research before i left and knew a bit about sanky panky but had no idea how bad it could be until we arrived and some of the resort workers flocked towards us gals. at first we didnt think anything of it but as we went along with our trip it was abundantly clear that some of these guys saw us all as opportunities (for money, sex, both...i dont know for sure) but at the end of the day reading some of the stories on DR1 did open up my eyes and i did tell the other girls about it...none of us were "sankified" but when i was in the DR again last week, i could see nothing had changed. same old, same old.

if anything at all, girls (and guys) need to remember that if you dont fall for it, there is another bunch of potential victims on the next flight in so you just have to be smart about things.
And that's what makes it all worthwhile.
If DR1 posters were to save just one person per year, it would be worth it.

dreams2sail

Nov 1, 2007
Is ALL knowledge good?

Rocky - I agree with Anne C., removing a testicle for each offense sounds painful but made me smile too!
Interestingly enough I've got mixed feelings about this sanky scam. (I admit, sometimes I over analyze things :paranoid:) You see, I went to DR in October AFTER doing lots of research about the country, people, etc. through other sites and books available. At that time I did not find dr1.com or any other information about sankies. :surprised As the previous poster indicated (Sascha), the resort workers (and other NON-resort workers) flocked towards my girlfriends and me (all single, all first timers to DR). We took it with a grain of salt since none of us had just "fallen off the turnip truck" ;) . Those of us that wanted a little "fun" participated to the extent we were comfortable with and those of us not interested didn't "play" :cheeky: . We talked every day about what each of us observed and/or experienced, sharing our suspicions on the games being played with us :glasses: . We were even able to watch other friends of these men as they "worked" a cover for the sanky in question. My point is...none of us thought we were going to fall in love....none of us were so ignorant that we didn't know what was going on....those that wanted to spent money or "played" while there...BUT NONE of us would be willing to send money or other things to these guys from our home country. Now, just speculating here, but if we were to return to DR (and we probably will) I'm not saying some of us wouldn't participate to the same extent again. :eek: Is it wrong? Probably. But who's wrong? I don't know. I suppose both parties are to a certain extent. Certainly the sankies are wrong for trying to scam....all the time pretending to be so sincere. But maybe we were wrong too, by enabling the sanky habit.
(BTW - the man I became FRIENDS with was very upfront with me - as I was with him - about what our friendship entailed and what it didn't. We both knew we weren't falling in love when I took him out to dinner on two occasions. I enjoyed his company and was able to learn a lot more about DR culture, etc. by asking questions, etc. I have to think he enjoyed my company too - granted I WAS paying for his dinner, but we laughed, had fun, shared stories of growing up - some sad, etc. and after ONLY dinner he accepted another invitation to repeat the same experience again. My memories are good ones, but now that I've read so much here I find myself re-evaluating everything we shared - right or wrong - who's to say?)
Now that I've opened up myself to much judgment and controversy, I will end this lengthy reply :tired: by saying my time in the DR was life altering for me, in many ways, and I hope to return soon to learn/experience more. :)

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
If your guy was upfront and honest - he was a different type of sanky. The guy I met as I said before actually pretended he was genuinely interested in me as a human being, wanted me to have a good time and took me to a Carnaval in La Vega saying he was going there to see his sister. And then the scam started - he said someone stole his wallet and ID so he has no money left. I felt guilty and responsible because he was there because of me. As I understand he thought it all through. :ermm: I just feel sorry for his family and friends - they have to deal with his lies every day. I am glad I found out!

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Eager Customers

....whether you fall for a sanky or not, there is another bunch of potential victims on the next flight in...
Although I have often referred to them as victims myself I now tend to see them as customers who are eager 'to fall in love' and pay....

Janin

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If your guy was upfront and honest - he was a different type of sanky. The guy I met as I said before actually pretended he was genuinely interested in me as a human being, wanted me to have a good time and took me to a Carnaval in La Vega saying he was going there to see his sister. And then the scam started - he said someone stole his wallet and ID so he has no money left. I felt guilty and responsible because he was there because of me. As I understand he thought it all through. :ermm: I just feel sorry for his family and friends - they have to deal with his lies every day. I am glad I found out!
That is the perfect example of why a sanky is a POS pond scum.
Anyone who reads your post and still has to ask what is wrong with being a sanky, must have some ethical and moral problems of his own. IMHO.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Full List

....If you put out the full list, they wouldn't even come.
....They are innocent and the sanky is guilty.
It's a fact that certain hotels with certain animation staff are very popular among certain holiday makers. So, some (not all) do come for the 'full list' and not in spite of it.
Innocent sankie novias?
How funny!

Janin

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Originally Posted by Rocky
....If you put out the full list, they wouldn't even come.
....They are innocent and the sanky is guilty.

It's a fact that certain hotels with certain animation staff are very popular among certain holiday makers. So, some (not all) do come for the 'full list' and not in spite of it.
Innocent sankie novias?
How funny!

Janin
I'm sorry, but you seem to have taken my words out of context.
The full list is in reference to the full list of dangers in the DR.
It's not a sanky list.
It's things like pickpockets, scammers, thieving crack whores, etc.

Getting scammed by a sanky is no stranger than getting sucked into Super Keno, an impossible game to win.
One cannot expect tourists to know all the dangers.
If you put out the full list, they wouldn't even come.

These are not people looking to become victims.
They are innocent and the sanky is guilty.
I suggest removing one testicle for the first offense, the other for a second offense.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
It is not just us, touristy girls. A lot of these guys are doctors, lawyers, engineers and governmental officials. They own businesses and actually behave the same way on the job. Any foreign investor who wants to spend money in the DR - be aware of such scammers. They have enough resources to put on a show to collect money from foreigners without paying them back ever (it just "disappears" like that wallet I was talking about). All I can say - it is scary how far human indecency can go and a lot of people here think it is kind of like fun. :ermm:

N

naturelover

i must say i felt like i was the most important person in the world one day on the beach and he was only trying to sell me a coconut ...so i can imagine how a young girl would fall for their charms

Feb 15, 2005
Not for nothing but PLEASSSE. Don't victimize these girls when they go to DR. Many of them would go to Daytona or Cancun and drink, get their "freak on" till their eyes pop out during Spring Break. Many are not so innocent. Also, how many women go on vacation by themselves or with girlfriends with the idea of getting a "little loose" where noone knows them. Please, they both play off of eachother. It's like the drug addict and the drug pusher, none could exist without the other and they both manipulate the situation to their own interest.

Has anyone heard of "Girls Gone Wild"

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Maybe, I have never been to Cancun or an all inclusive resort by myself. I don't know what people do. All I know is that you get harassed by everyone in a foreign country if you are a woman, American and on your own. People offer you their goods and services (a tour, jewelry, ride, food, anything) just to start a conversation and then you end up paying several times the price, sometimes you might end up in a friendship or relationship and they even want to come to your house. :paranoid: