What's your opinion on this presentation of the city of Santiago:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I've seen many many motoconchos at night with lights off.........
And I live in Santiago.........
I take taxi's everywhere and the drivers are always upset with them......
The Colmado at the end of my street has 3 motos for delivery until 10:00 pm and they don't even have lights..........They depend on the street lights.....
If necessary I will take photos of them and post..........

B in Santiago

A motoconcho is a motorcycle taxi. The delivery motorbike guys are called kamikazees for good reason.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Looks and sounds like Barney Frank's son. Peeking under bridges to find a squatter, hoping to get lucky.

The street shots he complains of look and sound a lot like neighborhoods in LA, CHI and NY, but his heart goes pitty-pat from the double tap of the carrito horns (looking for fares), because he hears what he expects to hear from NY (road rage).
Sees what he expects to see.

I'd like to show him Medan, Caracas, Cairo, Bandung, Bombay, Naples, Sao Paolo . . . .

NY Liberals. Sooooo smug, sneering, snide — yet sooooo empathetic and caring for their brown brothers . . .

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
A motoconcho is a motorcycle taxi. The delivery motorbike guys are called kamikazees for good reason.

I know the difference..................
Just posted an example of driving without lights..........AT NIGHT.....
GO FIGHT WITH SOMEONE WHO CARES .......OK.....
NOW, make sure you have the LAST WORD........I won't respond......
THIS IS MUCH MORE IMPORTANT TO YOU THAN ME.............

B in Santiago

May 12, 2005
ONE OF THE MOST IGNORANT AND PLAINLY STUPID PORTRAILS OF ANY PLACE THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN!

This guy has got to be very gay, very "sensitive" and incredibly stupid. Did he make it to Centro Leon or the Arts house at 36 en las Tablas.? Did he take in any of the parks or the Mercado Modelo (Chaos itself but interesting?) Did he make it to the Arena del Cibao or the ball park? or go to HOMS or to the Catedral...

I am sorry, I love my laptop and in order not to vomit on it I had to turn that jerk off.

I can't think of a good term for him but "wuss" ...."pussy" ....."mommy's litlle boy"

I guess he did not meet the "right" people....(his kind of people)....Gee, if he had asked me, I could have introduced him to a few.

HB

Ha, you read my mind HB. I was thinking the same thing. What a friggin' Mary.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I've seen many many motoconchos at night with lights off.........
And I live in Santiago.........
I take taxi's everywhere and the drivers are always upset with them......
If necessary I will take photos of them and post..........

B in Santiago

Picture of Motoconcho at night with no lights

3484w84.jpg

D in Santiago dodging the Moto's with no lights............. lol

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Pichardo,

If he weren't so ignorant, I'd almost be insulted by this guy's stupid remarks and conclusions. He thought THAT was loud? Ask him to walk around the same neighborhood whenever Aguilas defeats the Tigers! I concede that there are areas of Santiago that have problems with trash, but to criticize the entire city for it is simply ignorant. It is also very hard to imagine that he couldn't find ANYTHING to see or do. Those of us who live and work here know that the staff at the Hodelpa know better; if he didn't ask, then who's fault is that? And don't get me started on his "white boy" comment. This guy's opinions need to go straight into the Clown Bin.

Aguilucho Soy!

Preston

The Dominican Republic is always loud, just the degrees of loudness vary. Actually Sunday morning around 6 am in Jarabacoa is rather peaceful to go for a walk. I find Santiago rather quiet compared to Santo Domingo.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Don: I am in the Professor's Salon here at PUCMM and when I saw that photo I burst out laughing so had my colleagues thought I was having a heart attack!! That was great~!

Let me tell you about motoconchos and lights.

Most of those lights work of the dynamos on the bikes and when they burn out they feel that " why bother?" I am not sure but I would not doubt that someone has started saying that it saves gasoline!!!

Folks remember that this is a country with 65-70% functional illiteracy!!! Yes! Why do you think in a country of 10 milllion there are less than half a million newspapers printed everyday?? News here is by workd of mouth, radio or TV...

So motoconchos without lights in order to save gasoline is perfectly reasonable!!

Did I ever tell you that my poet friends feel that this whole country is surreal>??? That is just one example of it!

Blessings,

HB still grinning from that photo.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Wow, if those streets were the worst thing he's ever seen, then I'd have to say he doesn't get out much... Side note..his voice sometimes reminded me of the guy from the honey badger video, I was waiting for him to say ""ewww that's just naaasty"

LOL he does sound like that guy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4r7wHMg5Yjg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I think everyone should give the poor guy, or the It a break..I can understand why he was so upset. The poor thing probably couldn't find any Dominican flamers to give him what he wanted. He has to walk around the streets of Santiago and see all those tanned muscular Dominican guys who wont even look at his homely self,:eek:gre: not even for Dollars.

elusive_jefe

May 18, 2012
Lol....man this is hilarious. Someone get that princess a tiara. I'll admit the economic situation in Santiago is bad but i've seen worse. What a pajaro!

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
People are naturally offended when you point out the flaws of their home or neighborhood.
After a while one tends not to notice every day things until you take a leave of absence and return.
This guy is overly sensitive and preppy but there is some truth to a few things he pointed out. I’ve read plenty of complaints on this forum about the noise, the garbage and the fact that people talk so loud.
I can't count the many times I've been told how much fun someone has had in the DR, how well they were treated and how friendly the people were only to be followed by “but it was really poor and dirty” etc., etc
Don’t get me wrong I don’t want to change the overall charm, the arquitechture, the carefree lifestyle, the beaches or the lovely welcoming and smiling faces. However we do need to take better care of this country for its own residents sake.

My aunt says “Only Dominicans can talk badly about DR. Anyone else WILL get put in their place”.

BTW - Good job with sanitation and street clean up in Moca. Looking pretty good.

Last edited:

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
Santiago is the most prosperous province in DR, the one with the least percentage of poverty for Dominican standards, so I couldn't imagine what he would say if he goes to other parts of DR.

cuadro11.jpg

May 29, 2006
This is what happens when you think that you'll find a Starbucks in the DR just by walking around...

"One step above Haiti" Really???

Last edited:

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Guess ol Joe doesn't visit the inner cities of the US much. If he ever comes to my corner of the DR we could introduce him to "Flame on ", as he is affectionately called for his short shorts, matching pink tank tops and scarfs and his vivacious way of strutting. He prances daily in parke central, with minimal negative feedback from the locals. Regarding his white boy comment, I do understand his perception. Upon arrival in the DR, white Americans think they have landed in a black country. They do not see shades. So he perceives himself to be surrounded by black people yet feels no racial tension- a strange feeling to him. Thus his comment. K

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Do you agree or not with the opinions expressed by this expert on the City of Santiago and his experience?

[video=youtube;H1R6HmrtCA0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1R6HmrtCA0[/video]

This guy reminds me of:
1) Some NGO volunteers who, after arriving to the DR, are outraged that they don't have a water heater and permanent electricity.
2) An old Dominican lady who went to NY the first time and came back saying that it sucks, that there's nothing to see there and that she is never going back.

Even though I wouldn't recomend someone to come to Santiago as their ONLY spot on a tourist vacation, there are still plenty of nice things to see and it is obvious that he didn't do much research about his destination. He says he has traveled a lot, but yet he has very narrow and limited views.

Notice what he says about his previous trip to Santo Domingo; For him, what defines Santo Domingo is the beach, whereas it is actually the historic landmaks that make it a special place to visit. It doesn't seem that he did much research back then either.
I get where he is coming from. I have been to places where I didn't see where the greatness was but I do understand that I could have done a better planning.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
You have to admit that the DR is close to the bottom of third world countrys.Iv been to poorer areas of the world but I dont think Iv ever met more ignorant locals then here. I recently had a conversation with a group of motos that said they drive at night with there lights off to save gas.I could go on and give many more examples but why? We all know we live in a nation of fools

This is another reason why foreign girls get sankied, they see motoconchos as eligible and dateable Dominican men. LOL