When is self-defense called murder?

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
PeterInBrat, rafael, imfromda305 ...

Just so that we keep this related to "self-defense" issues -- just because I think race would be more productively discussed within the "Off Topic" area of this board (just my opinion) -- I would like to point out something ....

I was at the rally in Sanford, FL on Thursday night. It's not that far from me, and I used to live in the next town over from there. The key issues in the Trayvon Martin case seem to be (for the state, not for the federal):

1 - Was it self defense/stand your ground ... or murder/homicide
2 - Given the local police force's history of how they handle(d) similar cases, is there something going on that should be investigated.

I can tell you that, at that rally and in the nearby area, only county and sate police were evident. There is very little confidence in the locals at this point. And I have had "personal" issues with how things are handled there in Sanford. (I was not allowed to vote in the 2008 elections partly because of what's going on there ... but that is "whole nother" story.) I think that federal and state WILL need to get to the bottom of those issues.

Concerning Florida's self defense laws ... there has been a lot of misinformation and speculation going on. Anyone can Google the law and see what it is. It will probably fix in your mind what might have happened that night ... and who may be guilty ... even despite any potential racial issues.

I am no lawyer, but I do have a Florida CCW permit". I have taken the classes. I understand what I (legally) can and cannot do. I am a combat vet, and have no fear of guns (or using them if necessary).

But I also have a (legal) book by a very knowledgeable attorney in the area of Florida firearms law. He is someone who I would get to represent me, if needed. You might be interested in HIS opinions on this case -- as an expert, and as someone who deals with Florida firearms law (and self defense).

His "stay out of trouble" book::
FLORIDA FIREARMS Law, Use & Ownership Book | Orlando Criminal Defense Lawyer Jon H. Gutmacher

His blog/opinions:
CRIMINAL DEFENSE SERVICES BLOG by Orlando Criminal Defense Attorney JON H. GUTMACHER, Esq.

That's ALL I will say about this. Who knows, I just might get picked for jury duty in the near future .....

:cool:

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
The All Purpose Tool

Reading this thread I think if you have to beat the crap out of someone attacking you and you decide to string him up by his heels in case he regains consciousness, cover his mouth with duct tape so you won't have to listen to him if he wakes up.