When it rains, it pours.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Thanks for the update Rocky, great to see the progress and developments of the last 6 months. Things are looking good and you guys really captured some excellent pics.

It is truly wonderful news and I am so happy to hear that her spirits are high....long may that last and I hope they will spend many happy and peaceful years living there.

missingstthomas

Feb 1, 2008
I have a TON of good girls' clothing - varying from size 8, 10-12. Can this family use them? I will be in the DR next month. Thanks!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I have a TON of good girls' clothing - varying from size 8, 10-12. Can this family use them? I will be in the DR next month. Thanks!

You could send Rocky a PM. The girls are 10 and 12 respectively but I am sure there are many needy people to which Rocky would be happy to distribute the items to. (oops, sorry I took the liberty of offering on your behalf Rocky ;) )

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Doodads

We need a couple of doodads, if anyone closeby has them lying around.
One of the top problems with Marie's house and many others, is that they always have dark rooves and it gets hot as heck in there.
I've already done one house in the front of that "complex" of houses, with white roof sealer and I can't tell you how many degrees it dropped, but it went from insufferable to comfy.
I've been trying to convince them to put in 2 or 3 stacks/chimneys/air ports, or whatever you call them.
Some type of tube through the roof, with a cap to stop the rain from coming in.
Why they haven't done it in that house, I don't know.
Anyhow, back to Marie's house, I'll pick up the white roof paint, and if anyone has any of the following that they don't need, I'll go pick it up, unless they want to go out there with me.
I'm looking for old fans, low consumption light bulbs, any old doors, windows, screens or materials that can be used for the making of said items.
Also, if anyone ever sees those "chimneys" anywhere. would you please advise me?
I'm sure that if I give them to them, they will get them installed.
BTW: Y'all may be interested to know that a lot of Dominicans have contributed various things as well as a lot of labour.
There's a whole bunch of good folks out that way.

To finish, any doodads whatsoever that anyone has to give away, regardless what they are, if they might be useful to them, please advise.
Muchas gracias.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
We need a couple of doodads, if anyone closeby has them lying around.
One of the top problems with Marie's house and many others, is that they always have dark rooves and it gets hot as heck in there.
I've already done one house in the front of that "complex" of houses, with white roof sealer and I can't tell you how many degrees it dropped, but it went from insufferable to comfy.
I've been trying to convince them to put in 2 or 3 stacks/chimneys/air ports, or whatever you call them.
Some type of tube through the roof, with a cap to stop the rain from coming in.
Why they haven't done it in that house, I don't know.
Anyhow, back to Marie's house, I'll pick up the white roof paint, and if anyone has any of the following that they don't need, I'll go pick it up, unless they want to go out there with me.
I'm looking for old fans, low consumption light bulbs, any old doors, windows, screens or materials that can be used for the making of said items.
Also, if anyone ever sees those "chimneys" anywhere. would you please advise me?
I'm sure that if I give them to them, they will get them installed.
BTW: Y'all may be interested to know that a lot of Dominicans have contributed various things as well as a lot of labour.
There's a whole bunch of good folks out that way.

To finish, any doodads whatsoever that anyone has to give away, regardless what they are, if they might be useful to them, please advise.
Muchas gracias.

Hope some positive responses come your way soon Rocky! If any of that fit in my luggage, I would get right on it.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hope some positive responses come your way soon Rocky! If any of that fit in my luggage, I would get right on it.
Lord knows that you already brought her loads of great stuff. ( http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/68526-dr-loca.html )
At the time you brought those things, they had precious little and you really got them back on track.
To this day, I can't believe how much stuff you dragged along with you on your flight, then the bus all the way from Punta Cana.
It's one of those things that will be printed in my brain for the rest of my life.
If you do bring some more stuff next time, you have to promise to take the time to come out with me and meet them.

dreamsource

Jul 29, 2007
glad to help!

Rocky,
We'll be in town tomorrow, we have 2-3 of the lightbulbs you mentioned sitting in a drawer unused and would happily give them. If we only had a bit more room we'd bring a fan, but perhaps can help with the purchase of one?

dreamsource

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rocky,
We'll be in town tomorrow, we have 2-3 of the lightbulbs you mentioned sitting in a drawer unused and would happily give them. If we only had a bit more room we'd bring a fan, but perhaps can help with the purchase of one?

dreamsource
That's fantastic.
Not only will they save money on electricity, but those bulbs generate less heat and will help to keep the house cooler.
I'll PM you my cellphone number.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
You said one of her children is more a baby than a child, I have a lot of baby clothes, most of them unworn and unisex. The rest are for a baby girl , all the clothes range from 0-9 months. I dont live nearby but i would be happy to send them via Metropac if it would help.

Thanks

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You said one of her children is more a baby than a child, I have a lot of baby clothes, most of them unworn and unisex. The rest are for a baby girl , all the clothes range from 0-9 months. I dont live nearby but i would be happy to send them via Metropac if it would help.

Thanks
If I said that, I was mistaken.
She has 2 girls, 14 and 10, and one boy of 7 years old.
Thanks for the offer and there's always need for baby clothing in that poor neighbourhood, but there may also be a great need in the area that you live in.
If not, I'd be more than glad and thankful to receive the baby things and get them to a needy family.
Muchas gracias.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Big smiles and loads of thanks

Marie and family send their love and thanks to those who recently helped them out to get all the materials needed to cool down the new house, ie: White roof paint sealer, fans, efficiency light bulbs.
I asked her if she could feel a major difference, and she mentioned that the power went out as they all went to bed (2 nights ago) and that it was still more than cool enough, even without the fan, to sleep like babies.
I can just imagine what a difference this will make in their lives.
I never hear her complain, but it must have been hell (pardon the pun) to sleep in that enclosed boiler room.

Thank you all.
You guys are da best.....