When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Excellent points. Be prepared to see the peso hit 100. I remember being ridiculed for calling a 50 peso mark when the peso was at 12. The naysayers called me an alarmist, a Chicken Little extremist. The path to 100 has been set and will accelerate thanks to coronavirus.

Opening up the country to tourism will solely depend on economic collapse factors. Public health be damned. Either way, the desire of a minority few to protect the local population will be outstripped by the financiers, the profiteers and pirates who have come to the DR solely for gain.

This has been the function and purpose of the DR since its inception over 500 years ago.Strip the land, remove its resources and extract any productive value to benefit foreign interests. Trujillo was the last Nationalist that gave a damn about the country.
Really I thought Balaguer was a nationalist that gave a damn about the country. This virus should be telling the powers that be that the DR needs to diversify their economy and with America wanting to take business out of China there is an opportunity for the DR to grab a piece of that. Agriculture could easily double as well.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
A few observations for what it is worth. I live in Sosua and had to return to C.T. as my 89 year old father is sick. I booked five flights over the last two weeks from POP,STI and finally SDQ. All of the flights out of POP and STI on both Jetblue and Delta were canceled the day before flight. At that point I took a $200. taxi to SDQ and was able to fly to JFK then BOS via Delta.All three airports were totally empty,eerily so. My flight SDQ-JFK had about 20 people on it and my flight JFK - BOS had 9 people on it. Once in BOS I had tried to get an Uber to CT and waited an hour and gave up,then was able to get a Lyft,the driver told me that normally there are 400-500 Uber and Lyft drivers at BOS waiting,that night he said there were 3.I expect more reduction of flights due to a reduction of passengers but that is just my opinion. Just because some of the airlines are showing flights in May and they allow you to book a flight with them does NOT mean that you will be getting on said flight.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
From the latest Foreign Affairs bulletin received from the Embassy in Santo Domingo Apr. 14 2020 (see bolded section below):

For distribution to all Canadians you know in your regions; Pour distribuer à tous les Canadiens que vous connaissez dans votre region:

Dear Canadians,

You are receiving this email because you have registered with the Government of Canada's Registration of Canadians Abroad (ROCA).

Please be advised that Delta Airways and JetBlue Airways are still flying out of the Dominican Republic into the United States of America. Flights have been confirmed for this week.

Delta has cancelled their flights scheduled for April 15th (Wednesday), and April 17th (Friday). Delta's daily flight on April 13th, 14th, and 16th will operate as scheduled.

JetBlue will continue the following schedule this week:

•Daily SDQ-JFK flight (SDQ = Las Americas Airport in Santo Domingo) •SDQ-San Juan (Puerto Rico) flights three times a week (Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday) •Puerto Plata-JFK, Punta Cana-JFK, and Punta Cana-San Juan flights on Saturdays (one each)

Some Canadian and US Airlines are operating flights from the US to Canada, but you may need to book separately. As a Canadian citizen, you are allowed to transit through the USA as long as you leave within 24 hours, do not transfer airports, and have not recently travelled to any countries currently on the US Government Coronavirus travel ban.

Note that you will have to self-isolate for 14 days once you arrive in Canada
---

Gringo-
if that memo came for the US Embassy - I might trust it

US entry is/will be determined by the Immigration Officer at the time.
He has no superior.
His interpretation and application of the law as he sees it stands.
To appeal/challenge means going before a US Federal Judge

And remember, The Dominican authorities will ask to see a passport on departure.
You would need to exlpain the transit to them and have them accept it.... and sign you off.

My friend (a non-US) is flying out today (SDQ_LHR).
He has dispensation b/c he is married to an American
and is carrying a copy of his marriage certificate.

He is still worried and has the #2 person from the RD US Embassy on standby for a call if he has trouble boarding.

The US will decide who passes the border - the Cdn Govt has no say in the matter
no matter what reassurance they offer.

Personally, I wouldn't try it....

althebeast

Mar 26, 2020
La Romana
My friend is coming to Santo Domingo this monday from Estados Unidos and the route he'll use is "Miami, Detroit, Minnesota, New York and finally SD" I rather not go and in total of 22 hours he'll be in SD

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: MarJD and Africaida
I wouldnt plan on coming here,until September,if your flying out of JFK.
What makes you say that? There are many flights scheduled from the USA to Rep Dom starting in the first week of May, This is all hinged on if the DR lifts their travel ban. If DR lifts the ban there will be many flights daily starting the 1st week of May

Reactions: beekaynz and aarhus

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
What makes you say that? There are many flights scheduled from the USA to Rep Dom starting in the first week of May, This is all hinged on if the DR lifts their travel ban. If DR lifts the ban there will be many flights daily starting the 1st week of May

Given the situation in the tri-state area, we will be the last one to be able to go anywhere unfortunately. No country is trying to have an influx of NYer at the moment.

Reactions: alexw

Bundel2014

Feb 11, 2017
If all things line up yes,but in May? NO

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Update on my friend--- SDQ - LHR

He is in the air..... should be OK w/ Immigration in NYC
He's running back to Europe for a birth... his 1 st child(ren)... twins

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011

Looks like last night United cancelled all their flights to the DR for the month of May.

If DR lifts the emergency quarantine on April 30th, I Guarantee you, airlines from the USA will be flying to and from DR, why ? Because these flights have actual real demand and the airlines can actually make money on these flights, most other domestic routes have nobody on them at this time. Dominicans want to get down there to see family and their businesses, all depends on the Dominican Govt, The airlines will immediately fly there.

Reactions: MarJD

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
If DR lifts the emergency quarantine on April 30th, I Guarantee you, airlines from the USA will be flying to and from DR, why ? Because these flights have actual real demand and the airlines can actually make money on these flights, most other domestic routes have nobody on them at this time. Dominicans want to get down there to see family and their businesses, all depends on the Dominican Govt, The airlines will immediately fly there.

Yes it should be first profitable flights NY - DR

Jan 9, 2004

As of 4/15/20 Jetblue is now allowing those with tickets booked through June 30, 2020 to waive change or cancellation penalties. They keep extending this period to re-book without penalty, leading one to believe many flights will ultimately get cancelled.

If routes are opened up to the DR, particularly from NYC, they will not be profitable. With the new cleaning rules and the added expense coming with it, and the social distancing that will now be required (if they are even allowed to fly), every middle seat will need to be vacant........meaning a full flight will actually be 66% of capacity...........and airlines cannot fly profitably with 66% capacity,

And since New York and particularly NYC is at the epicenter of coronavirus deaths in the US, Medina may not open up flights coming in from the US in early May (especially NY)..........except for Dominicans who have been stuck in the US and who are trying to return home.

We may shortly get the answer after/if Medina's emergency powers are extended.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I would expect Jet Blue will continue their daily service between Santo Domingo and NY. Their Airbus planes are efficient and there is plenty of airfreight to cover costs. Also many travelers who are citizens of one country and legal residents of the other (and dual citizens). There is no restriction for them. With the rest of the terminal in SDQ empty, I suspect Jet Blue is having no problems making ends meet on that route.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The opening of the border to allow entry for noncitizens/residents is a long way off. The fastest way to negate any mitigation gains is to allow disease carriers to reseed the population.

Maybe, if all goes really well, there might be some limited tourism permitted next winter. Possibly with tourists confined to their resort property. I can't foresee the time when tourists will be permitted to come and move about the country at will. At least the logical me can't see that time, then I remember where I am...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
At first I thought flights would resume in May but I think they won't come now till July and if they allow the NY flights to resume it's just like letting the Trojan Horse back in through the gates, because of how poorly that state managed the disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.