When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
A very nice country, but not worth CAD $800/USD $567.84/DOP 31799 for a one way flight, in my opinion.
Depends on where you are going, what or whom you have waiting for you etc. I normally go this time of year to visit family, do my taxes, and fish for trout. My son has been river kayaking, another favorite pastime for me, and he tells me he has discovered several great mountain bike trails. None of those things are possible here, to the same degree as there (Vancouver Island) I also want to go meet my future daughter in law, a beautiful Portuguese Canadian. I am also missing seeing my other son and his Chinese wife, a lovely and charming girl.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
My May 11-14 trip on American Airlines PUJ-MIA was just cancelled. Not a big surprise. What was the surprise is that same flight on June 22 is $3500 dollars or 65K points one way. That tells me those flights will be flying, if you have the money. Those prices aren't going to help get tourists back.
COPA at $112 with a short layover in Panama on the same day. Try them.

JfromNY

May 3, 2020
Santiago
Badpiece, I too am waiting to return and get away from NYC. I think it's going to be a couple of months. Just this week I got shut out two times from traveling on Jet Blue because they couldn't fill the plane. I am now waiting on my third attempt to travel Savannah to JFK on Monday. What's going to happen when they open up Sto Do? Are they going to have more people at the gate wanting to go besides me? IDK.
I managed to leave DR from SDQ on the 28th of April. There are flights coming in from NYC and MIA into SDQ, just have to figure out what days it is. Best bet is to call the airline themselves. I have more luck with Delta than with JB.

Reactions: badpiece33

JfromNY

May 3, 2020
Santiago
And United is also running what some might consider a “bait and switch”.

United has been actively promoting their new “flexible booking policy thru March 31st”. It says something to the effect of “we know your concerned about possibly having to change/cancel your travel plans. We hear you and therefore you can change or cancel without penalty any tickets you purchase by March 31st. Even ‘non-refundable’ fares qualify for this”.

So United is hoping you’ll go ahead and buy tickets prior to March 31st for say Thanksgiving travel in November, or a Christmas trip is December. Or your regular month long trip to the DR in January, confident that if you have to cancel the trip because of virus concerns (or any other reason) you will get your money back.

And now this is where, IMO, the scam comes in. Because recently United also changed its refund policy. Now, if you cancel your trip, instead of refunding the money to your credit card, United will issue an Electronic Travel Certificate (ETC). The ETC is good for future travel on United for the next 12 months. Only if you don’t use the ETC during that 12 month period will United then issue a refund to your credit card.

Here’s a practical example.

United has currently cancelled all their DR flights for April. But they are showing a full DR flight schedule for May.
So today (March 28th) you buy a ticket for a 2 week ticket to the DR from say May 10th-May 24th,2020 for $500.

The on April 30th, United cancels “all DR flights for May”. They issue you an ETC “valid for travel on United until April 30th, 2021”. You don’t use the ETC during that period, so then on May 1st, 2021, United (finally) issues a $500 refund to your credit card.

So even though they know right now that they will most likely cancel their flights to the DR in May, they are still offering tickets for sale for May. That’s the “bait”.
But when they do cancel those flights, the earliest you can actually get your money refunded will be in 12 months. That’s the “switch”.

So in the example I gave above, United basically received a $500 interest free loan from you for over 13 months (March 2020 -May 2021). Bad for you, but it helps their short-term cash flow.
Jet Blue is doing the same exact way!!!

Reactions: Timotero
One month between the economy opening steps? Don't get offended, but are you nuts? Some of us actually derive income here and do not live off retirement check sent every 1st of the month. I prefer to take my chances with coronavirus and fully opened economy than with a lockdown. And after all, after reading Stanford, USC LA, New York, and Imperial College studies, plus seering reusuls of approach in Sweden, I am fully convinced the infection is much more widespread and much more milder in it's presentation, and there is really no need for lockdown as is.
Finally someone gets it, You can not hide at home forever

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Repatriation to Canada.
Who would pay CAD $800/USD $567.84/DOP 31799 for a one way flight to Canada of all places?
Oh, the cost of repatriation. What a boondoggle.
Before the pandemic, all Canadian airlines charged more for a one way from POP to Canada than a one way from Canada to POP. May have something to do with POP landing servicing fees, or seat loadings. The ticket prices are almost double on some airlines. All the repatriation flights booked by the Canadian government from different countries had inflated prices. $2000 for a one way from Morocco. I thought by now the majority of the Canadian tourists and expats were back in Canada, and those remaining in the DR want to stay there during the pandemic. The May 07th Westjet flight includes the cost of your luggage but no seat distancing because it is a repatriation flight. If that is the case, I would be inclined to stay in the DR instead of risking infection on the flight and at the airports. Those that want to get back will pay the inflated price regardless of where they are. The government is offering Interest free loans to people that want to come back but can’t come up with the immediate cash. There is some motivation to return to Canada now. Our numbers are dropping significantly in most provinces and all provinces are starting to relax the restrictions. Hospitals are not overloaded and elective surgeries and procedures are starting again. Golf courses, parks, etc. are opening. Family visits are allowed. The big reason to return now is winter is over.

Reactions: Caonabo

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Tickets bought in the DR are subject to taxes.

I often buy w/ a trip starting here.... but I book the return leg separately to avoid the tax on both legs

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Tickets bought in the DR are subject to taxes.

I often buy w/ a trip starting here.... but I book the return leg separately to avoid the tax on both legs
NL government just decreed no come from aways (tourists) allowed in NL till the pandemic situation changes. All this stems from a group of tourists from Canada and the US who drove here to see the fricken icebergs a few weeks ago and didn’t abide by the rules. If you would like a few Icebergs in the DR, WW, I’d be more than happy to tow a few down. Lol!

Jan 9, 2004
The June opening time frame remains to be seen given the latest coronavirus figures in the DR............and when they do finally open, it will be a whole new world for airlines and travelers.

Currently you have many world airlines staring at bankruptcy.......and some have already disappeared. European airlines on the bubble (Lufthansa etc.) are so desperate for cash they have asked regulators to suspend cash refunds to ticket holders......in favor of vouchers/credits.......it is that precarious for them.

If you thought flying in general was onerous before the crisis..........get ready for things to get worse. Social distancing in ticket/check in/boarding lines will push lines for what seems like miles and will take what seems like an eternity to even board.

Airlines will now require masks for anyone under two (why anyone would fly with a toddler and no mask is perhaps for another discussion), social distance seating being discussed is either no middle seat or aisle seats left vacant. And that is just the beginning as pilots/crew are being briefed on these and many more coming restrictions to travel.

Emirates air is currently running a rapid blood test for EVERY passenger before they are allowed to board...............others are doing temperature scans and asking questions as to where you have been (think NYC for the moment). Some countries have instituted temperature and other protocols upon entering.

Anyone who believes that when the DR finally opens for travelers, flying is going to quickly go back to status quo in either the number of flights or the number of passengers............is in for a very rude awakening.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

nickdr

May 30, 2014
We made it home to Pennsylvania on May 2nd. Here are the details:

Our first 3 flights from POP and SDQ (United, Delta, AA) were canceled.

Booked a 4th flight with JetBlue: Punta Canta - JFK on May 2nd; tickets about $320 each. Took a taxi from Puerto Plata all the way to Punta Cana (local driver, 13,000 pesos) the day before. Stayed at a nice hotel with AC/pool for $45. Got private taxi to the airport in the morning for $25 (expensive I know). The airport was almost completely empty. Our flight was almost completely empty (maybe 20 passengers. My Wife and I had the back third of the plane to ourselves). When we got to JFK airport that was empty. They didn't make us fill out any normal customs etc forms. They did not health screen us. Just asked us how long we have been out of the country and let us go on our way. Never seen anything like an empty JFK airport.

Got an uber from JFK to EWR airport ($135). Got another uber from EWR to our place near Harrisburg ($216). We did 2 different Ubers because that was cheaper (rates are high when coming from NYC area). Home sweet home.

Highly recommend JetBlue if you get a chance. Plus free food and internet on the plane. Hope this info helps someone else.

Jan 9, 2004
The June opening time frame remains to be seen given the latest coronavirus figures in the DR............and when they do finally open, it will be a whole new world for airlines and travelers.

Currently you have many world airlines staring at bankruptcy.......and some have already disappeared. European airlines on the bubble (Lufthansa etc.) are so desperate for cash they have asked regulators to suspend cash refunds to ticket holders......in favor of vouchers/credits.......it is that precarious for them.

If you thought flying in general was onerous before the crisis..........get ready for things to get worse. Social distancing in ticket/check in/boarding lines will push lines for what seems like miles and will take what seems like an eternity to even board.

Airlines will now require masks for anyone under two (why anyone would fly with a toddler and no mask is perhaps for another discussion), social distance seating being discussed is either no middle seat or aisle seats left vacant. And that is just the beginning as pilots/crew are being briefed on these and many more coming restrictions to travel.

Emirates air is currently running a rapid blood test for EVERY passenger before they are allowed to board...............others are doing temperature scans and asking questions as to where you have been (think NYC for the moment). Some countries have instituted temperature and other protocols upon entering.

Anyone who believes that when the DR finally opens for travelers, flying is going to quickly go back to status quo in either the number of flights or the number of passengers............is in for a very rude awakening.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Correction to the fourth paragraph..........should read "Airlines will now require masks for anyone over two".........

Can we please extend the edit time......back to the old time frame.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I managed to leave DR from SDQ on the 28th of April. There are flights coming in from NYC and MIA into SDQ, just have to figure out what days it is. Best bet is to call the airline themselves. I have more luck with Delta than with JB.

Based on the best information found here on DR1, those flights "coming in from NYC and MIA into SDQ" must be flights with Dominicans only returning home. And those flights will either leave empty or with US citizens returning to the U.S. As was the April 28 flight a "repatriation" flight.

See post #472 above, which I also post below. "There are currently no commercial flights allowed into or out of the DR." (This is the best information to date found here on DR1 about this subject.)

"There are currently no commercial flights allowed into or out of the DR. Airlines are showing flights, then canceling, in anticipation of the opening of the borders by the government.

The only flights operating into the DR and out, are repatriation flights..........and they are, at this moment, only through SDQ.

If you are desperate to get out, please call your embassy. The US had a repatriation flight yesterday out of SDQ/JFK.

Booking flights on airline websites based on the schedules they are currently showing...........is a fools errand. With the extension of presidential powers regarding the State of Emergency, the air, land and sea borders will likely remain closed (except for one way repatriation flights) until at least mid-May.

Please call your embassy.........."

Do you have different factual information about flights arriving from the U.S. other than "repatriation" flights?

Reactions: JfromNY

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
Based on the best information found here on DR1, those flights "coming in from NYC and MIA into SDQ" must be flights with Dominicans only returning home. And those flights will either leave empty or with US citizens returning to the U.S. As was the April 28 flight a "repatriation" flight.

See post #472 above, which I also post below. "There are currently no commercial flights allowed into or out of the DR." (This is the best information to date found here on DR1 about this subject.)

"There are currently no commercial flights allowed into or out of the DR. Airlines are showing flights, then canceling, in anticipation of the opening of the borders by the government.

The only flights operating into the DR and out, are repatriation flights..........and they are, at this moment, only through SDQ.

If you are desperate to get out, please call your embassy. The US had a repatriation flight yesterday out of SDQ/JFK.

Booking flights on airline websites based on the schedules they are currently showing...........is a fools errand. With the extension of presidential powers regarding the State of Emergency, the air, land and sea borders will likely remain closed (except for one way repatriation flights) until at least mid-May.

Please call your embassy.........."

Do you have different factual information about flights arriving from the U.S. other than "repatriation" flights?

Dominicans and residents and I think if you are married to a Dominican. They can fly into the DR correct ?

Reactions: JfromNY

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I just helped my friend book his flight on the charter that the Canadian embassy put together POP-YYZ for this Thursday. They send you a promo code and the flight appears on the Westjet website,easy breezy from there. $800.CAD

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
For all the people bitching about the price,it is a charter flight coming in empty so that is why the price is a bit steep,be happy you are getting out...

Reactions: slowmo
Status
Not open for further replies.