When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Those tourists who were stranded here - mid holiday - got airlifted out
not really free - they had return tickets for different dates.... so they had paid
exactly, their tickets of the canceled return flights been their "payments"for the ferry flights.
the different involved parties(airline of the canceled flighyt, airline running the ferry flight and the Gov. organizing the ferry flights) arranged that money already paid for a flight which got canceled and to pay the irline running the ferry flight.
so the traveler does not have to pay for a additional ticket.
expats living abroad, well, of course we have no right to a free flight.
everybody who wanna travel has to pay for the airfare/metro/ship passage.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Do you have a news article on quarantining at home in the DR?
not at hand.
I read this several times in the articles about returning Dominicans from abroad.
you need to google the articles where there arrival been described.
it was also mentioned on TV in the news when DR Citizens stranded abroad arrived back here.
but i can not name any specific article, thisis weeks old, memory overflow.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Can we get back to the thread! AA says my AA flight on June 4 is a go but today the govn't says July 1 to open airports, phase 4??? Thoughts or accurate info, thanks!!

singletravel
as i went out of bed just 1hr ago, i did not read any newspaper, yet, with any changes today.
BUT,
when i went to bed at 5AM,
there was no mentioning of airport openings on July 5th.

IF all phases run flawless/perfectly fine with no throwback,
Then the start of Phase 4 would be sheduled to start on July 5th, the Elections Day.
and Borders are planned to reopen for tourists with Phase 4.
so ther earliest arriving tourist flight could be on July 5th.
if any of the prior Phases get's a throw back/extention, then that extended week or 2 would have to be added to the July 5th date.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Leaving the DR 3 weeks ago for the US was not difficult but had to make a couple changes to flight days/time. Getting BACK to the DR is the problem. Flights for passengers are being cancelled regularly when the DR govt changes it’s dates for reopening. Citizens have been allowed back in but I personally have friends who are permanent residents that were rejected for entry after arriving to the DR and had to return to their home country of Canada. I have yet to see anyone here say they have personal knowledge of or have been allowed into the DR as legal residents and not as tourists. Based on this, it seems no one other than citizens will be allowed entry until July 5
until now the DR Government did Never change any reopening date for the borders.
they Never announced any reopening date, it was just the rumor mill spreading around some dates a few times.
the first date mentioning of the DR Government about a Border Reopening date, been Yesterday,
when the Details about the 4 phase deescalation plan been published,
as that include's the Dates for the "planned" days when each Phase is Planned to start.
border openings are part of Phase 4, which could start as early as July 5th.
it is the Planned Date for border reopenings, it is also announced clearly that the dates for staring of each phase can be postponed to later dates, in case a prior phase does not result with the awaited success.
so the only ever announced border reopening date by the DR Government is the yesterdaypublished July 5th,
under the addy that it could get resheduled to a later date under certain given circumstances.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I guess they decide at the gate, regardless of what a foreigner considers his rights to be. The only guarantee is a cédula
the apropriate document would not be the cedula.
for border crossing the apropriate document is the Residencia.
teh cedula is just the national ID, used within the DR.
for border crossings the Residencia is the document to have at hand.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
the apropriate document would not be the cedula.
for border crossing the apropriate document is the Residencia.
teh cedula is just the national ID, used within the DR.
for border crossings the Residencia is the document to have at hand.
Yes I think that is correct. You would need the cedula card and the Recidencia document which is a seperate card. I think then you are good.

Reactions: windeguy

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Yes I think that is correct. You would need the cedula card and the Recidencia document which is a seperate card. I think then you are good.
i use both all the time.
DR Intern(not crossing borders) the Cedula is the ID everybody is obliged to carry/present.
like the us is using the drivers licenses as ID, Germany their Personalausweis etc.
for border crossings, of course in addition to an up to date valid Passport, the needed document for a Resident is the Residencia Card.
hence i always have my Residencia stored in my passport, so it would not get forgotten when i hop on a flight for a quicky to PR or such.
while the cedula is always in the wallet, together with the usual other documentations we always have to carry around,
like the drivers licenses for the country we are in, car insurance card, credit/debit cards, med insurance card ...

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
i use both all the time.
DR Intern(not crossing borders) the Cedula is the ID everybody is obliged to carry/present.
like the us is using the drivers licenses as ID, Germany their Personalausweis etc.
for border crossings, of course in addition to an up to date valid Passport, the needed document for a Resident is the Residencia Card.
hence i always have my Residencia stored in my passport, so it would not get forgotten when i hop on a flight for a quicky to PR or such.
while the cedula is always in the wallet, together with the usual other documentations we always have to carry around,
like the drivers licenses for the country we are in, car insurance card, credit/debit cards, med insurance card ...
I do the same. Passport and Recidencia Card safely kept just for travel and I always have cedula on me as ID card for banking, doctor visits etc. And I have my Dominican drivers license with me to and my local DR medical insurance card. All things someone spending time long term / “living” in the DR should have.

• Love
Reactions: MikeFisher

MarJD

Aug 29, 2012
Estoy en un lugar similar Soy dueño de una casa, auto y propiedad aya. Simplemente no tengo residencia aya. Sería bueno volver a casa lo antes posible.
Yo tambien igual, pero tengo double ciudadania. Ya quiero volver a mi casa y disfrutar de mi playita. Estoy lista y espero que pronto podamos volver. Yo esperare y no hare reservas, nadie sabe dia a dia como las cosas cambiaran.

bennymack

Apr 12, 2006
It's hard to get current information about ferry flights. I'm trying to get back to the USA from the DR the second week of June.

Jet Blue is flying but can't get me to my final destination.

The embassy says United has ferry flights and I'm about to call them.

American Airlines has the best route (out of POP) but I'm afraid they would cancel. Has anyone traveled back to the USA on AA? Do they offer ferry flights?

Thanks!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I think you're talking about repatriation flights and I haven't heard of any. A ferry flight by definition is one without any passengers.

bennymack

Apr 12, 2006
I think you're talking about repatriation flights and I haven't heard of any. A ferry flight by definition is one without any passengers.
While I have heard them called Ferry flights (they come empty and return with citizens), the correct term is probably repatriation flights. I've heard that people have been able to return to the USA in the last few weeks. I'm trying to learn how as I need to get back there in about two weeks.

Reactions: aarhus

drisforme

May 28, 2016
While I have heard them called Ferry flights (they come empty and return with citizens), the correct term is probably repatriation flights. I've heard that people have been able to return to the USA in the last few weeks. I'm trying to learn how as I need to get back there in about two weeks.
You called Jetblue as I did last week and booked a flight.I did my reservation and 24 hours later I was in the US. Nothing has changed for a US resident to get back to the US...Just less flight....that's it.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I have to admit i missed this one, fond it just now.
so, aside of the 4 phases,
some things will stay closed til August 24th,
like PLAYAS, Cines etc etc.
my first understanding was, that with phase 4 All would be back open.

Reactions: cavok

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
All flights are looking good until they cancel them the day before. Then you'll be rescheduled on a better looking flight. Your money in their pockets looks much better also.

Correct the airlines don't fly in unless the border is open and right now its not. So something has to change before flights to DR can resume.

Status
Not open for further replies.