Where to lose yourself in Santo Domingo

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
stay in la ZONA COLONIAL then, especially if for one: you are not driving, and two: the guaguas all leave to many destinations from there.
if you were staying on the island longer i would say take the big buses: CARIBE TOURS or METRO TOURS to Santiago or Puerto Plata and learn your way around.
Like bronxboy does and plans on the spot or on the run, i am sure you can find reasonable accomodations while exploring.
flights from NYC around labor day weekend are about $450 with Jetblue. i wish i could find cheaper but thats not possible unless flying midweek september and october, ive found a few JetBlue for $365....
FYI if you take the local guaguas to Boca Chica be prepared to leave early and come back early to beat rush hour traffic....its a BEEOTCH!

shawn27

May 24, 2010
Yep, look at the picture of the colmado I was speaking about. The hotel is right across.

That Colmado is right across the street from el duque lol. I'm going to look at rates for that hotel now... although I'm sure the hustlers target that hotel as well, it's right next to el duque so.. I'm hardly at the hotel anyways so doesn't matter all that much.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
stay in la ZONA COLONIAL then, especially if for one: you are not driving, and two: the guaguas all leave to many destinations from there.
if you were staying on the island longer i would say take the big buses: CARIBE TOURS or METRO TOURS to Santiago or Puerto Plata and learn your way around.
Like bronxboy does and plans on the spot or on the run, i am sure you can find reasonable accomodations while exploring.
flights from NYC around labor day weekend are about $450 with Jetblue. i wish i could find cheaper but thats not possible unless flying midweek september and october, ive found a few JetBlue for $365....
FYI if you take the local guaguas to Boca Chica be prepared to leave early and come back early to beat rush hour traffic....its a BEEOTCH!

Do they allow guests in the rooms there though? La Zona Colonial is the narrow street that has the pool hall, clubs and several other venues right?

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Lol

Spoken like a true Dominican. Hey, wait, you are not. You wife has taught you well indeed.

La Casona Dorada is one that Berzin speaks about all the time.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/santo-domingo/75767-la-casona-dorada-hotel.html

wifey has taught me well indeed, however, i know more about the island now than even she! LOL :cheeky:
wifey likes to stay in her campos and rarely leaves to go anywhere, i have been the explorer every year i go on vacation and have gone to almost every extremity on the island. i still havent done, believe it or not, Samana, Barahona and Monte Cristo [Haitian frontier]. I hope to get all that out of the way eventually! :)

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
which is why i love this forum a lot because many posters have helped pave the way for me to know this island and so much it has to offer
SO THANK YOU TO ALL THE POSTERS on DR1, the good the bad and the ugly, it has given me valuable info.
shawn27, do like i do and print out some info off here and carry it with you, it comes quite in handy!

Reactions: Africaida

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Also, check out the Danae and the Venezia. The Danae is small but quaint and off the beat track and it's inexpensive [or it was the last time I was there]. The Venezia is also reasonably priced. Not the $45US you'll get at the Duque, but, reasonable.

Last edited:

shawn27

May 24, 2010
which is why i love this forum a lot because many posters have helped pave the way for me to know this island and so much it has to offer
SO THANK YOU TO ALL THE POSTERS on DR1, the good the bad and the ugly, it has given me valuable info.
shawn27, do like i do and print out some info off here and carry it with you, it comes quite in handy!

Thanks Jalen. I want to be in your position in about 10 years.. with a dominican wife! I found Gazcue very safe- dont think I'd walk to el malecon though even though I know how to get places now. Have you eaten at that restaurant that on the corner of where duque is located?

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Have you eaten at that restaurant that on the corner of where duque is located?

It's the Villar Hermanos. It's very nice and frequented by locals. They have recently completed the addition between the Villar and the Duque which is also nice. In the original restaurant on the corner, there are interior dinning rooms which I really enjoy.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
It's the Villar Hermanos. It's very nice and frequented by locals. They have recently completed the addition between the Villar and the Duque which is also nice. In the original restaurant on the corner, there are interior dinning rooms which I really enjoy.

Yes it is very nice. I can't wait to get back there- my life is so hectic in the US, I feel so relaxed when I'm in DR. Oh gotta check out adrian tropical too lol.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Keep exploring

Thanks Jalen. I want to be in your position in about 10 years.. with a dominican wife! I found Gazcue very safe- dont think I'd walk to el malecon though even though I know how to get places now. Have you eaten at that restaurant that on the corner of where duque is located?

i almost feel like the MOST INTERESTING MAN on the planet....
STAY THIRSTY MY FRIEND :cheeky:
shawn27, there is lots to see out on the island. people from all walks of life and interests and vices, its a lot to take in for a newcomer. i am still a newbie, ive been coming to and from the island now for 7 years and love it each trip i make. i have gotten a deeper sense of appreciation for life by exploring the countryside and its people. my wife comes from a very humble family in a campo southwest of the capital, about an hour away so its not TOO far a drive when i want to go to the city. but country life is really what i think it's all about on the island, my opinion, not everyone's here but so be it. the more and more you get out and see life the more you can appreciate getting answers to all your queries about the island.
i have a good suggestion, you want to see a good barrio rich with culture and a bustle of people? take the METRO [train system] north to the last stop MAMA TINGO and walk around the small town of VILLA MELLA. do a search here for a video that the dr1 crew put up of the metro and a trip to VILLA MELLA, you can see the transition of buildings and lifestyle from the city to what some consider 'poorer' northern section of la capitla. VILLA MELLA is well known for its fried pork [CHICHARRONES] which i have sampled [at your own risk if you wish to take the chance] as well as a rich musical history in the tradition of the palos [heavy african influence], i always have a great time exploring this side of town. there is a gallero [cock fighting ring] in town as well so keep your eyes open....man i was there i'd show you around, i drive or walk everywhere there! LOL :cheeky:

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Adrian Tropical is great put pricey. but you cant beat the view from the location on the Malecon, what a great place to go have dinner with friends. or your lady ;)

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Adrian Tropical is great put pricey. but you cant beat the view from the location on the Malecon, what a great place to go have dinner with friends. or your lady ;)

They've also got the best frozen juice drinks (non-alc) in town IMO.

greydread-albums-greypix-picture206-adtrop.jpg

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
i agree with greydread, their frozen juice drinks are OFF THE CHIZAIN! LOL
i had a batido de chinola on my last trip, with a bit of leche condensada....man that was ridiculous! :)
STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!

shawn27

May 24, 2010

Not that pricey. They have main entrees for like $10.00. I think I spent like $20 on dinner.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
i agree with greydread, their frozen juice drinks are OFF THE CHIZAIN! LOL
i had a batido de chinola on my last trip, with a bit of leche condensada....man that was ridiculous! :)
STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!

I love their smoothies! They have frechizas which are my favorite jugo. Delicious!

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
i think Adrian is pricier than some other places i like to frequently visit to eat. i believe if you go along the malecon east bound towards the puente flotante, past the pizarelli and helados bon there are some parrilladas that have some really great food.
i think its called: D'Luis [someone back me up here]
in any case, great food there and reasonably priced.
of course i'm not going to suggest being cheap so go splurge my friend.
and remember to STAY THIRSTY!

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Lol

You have me choking on my Dos XX.

OFF THE CHIZAIN, what a comedian.

jhartley, you have competition. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

are you laying off the vodka now my friend? :cheeky:
a good forum buddy of mine here BIGBIRD also recommends a great parrilla close to the malecon called PARILLADA NUEVA JERSEY, they got all kinds of meat here man! and clean and well cooked! even serve RABBIT! i love it!
i could use a Dos XX my friend....do share! :bunny:

shawn27

May 24, 2010
i think Adrian is pricier than some other places i like to frequently visit to eat. i believe if you go along the malecon east bound towards the puente flotante, past the pizarelli and helados bon there are some parrilladas that have some really great food.
i think its called: D'Luis [someone back me up here]
in any case, great food there and reasonably priced.
of course i'm not going to suggest being cheap so go splurge my friend.
and remember to STAY THIRSTY!

You pay a little bit more at adrian for the scenery though. I think they have a parrot in the cage? Plus it's literally right on the water. It was actually kinda funny when I was there in June, this lady got splashed by a huge wave that came in (well it's funny now.)