Who is going to rent all these apartments in Las Terrenas?

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Also, This is the first time I've heard negative comments about HOMS.
My second time. The first one was this video that was posted on this forum of this lady who had given birth in HOMS... I did not however believe a word she said due to the way the interview was conducted...

We've been to HOMS with various people for 14 years, we've have 6 people who have had surgery there (including our son 3 y/o at the time and my wife), one with their skull half open, and I have zero negative feedback...

Reactions: JD Jones

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
So to be very very clear...you are comparing apples to oranges,public vs. private....

The topic was about HOMS and how foreigners/tourists see it... I would not compare public hospitals in the DR to any hospitals back in EU, and this was also no the point of the post.. I also stated that I would agree on how public hospitals are, but not with HOMS... I thought this was clear from my post...

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
The topic was about who is going to rent all the apartments in Las Terrenas, not HOMS.

A few of us have wandered astray.
My apologies, I only replied to someone else's post. So the topic of only my reply/quote was HOMS, obviously not the thread...

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Punta Cana area is the same buildings going up on every corner... No way the infrastructure can handle this./this is why you see an accident every 5 minutes when you're driving plus the lack of Education

the selling point is oh you're 5 minutes from the beach and they show this calm beautiful beach but in reality you're 5 minutes from a public beach with all the Riff Raff loud music and kids running around in the Underpants swimming I would strongly recommend if you do Buy in the Punta Cana area you buy one with private beach access
Yes agreed on all points.

Reactions: chico bill

TravelOverSky

Dec 30, 2023
Domican Republic
This is a good question, I know a lot of expats in Las Terrenas and there are people who come here and buy several apartments for rent at once. Unfortunately, Las Terrenas has changed a lot, and these changes don't really suit me.

Reactions: aarhus

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
This is a good question, I know a lot of expats in Las Terrenas and there are people who come here and buy several apartments for rent at once. Unfortunately, Las Terrenas has changed a lot, and these changes don't really suit me.
In my opinion Las Terrenas should try and atract some more permanent residents but the infrastructure is lacking. Especially health care.

TravelOverSky

Dec 30, 2023
Domican Republic
Yes, in general health care is very expensive in DR, as for me, it is better to take insurance from Poland than to buy in local comapny. As I good remeber, they opened new hospital (clinic?) in Las Terrenas. My friend was used it and told me that they are putting all unesessary medical research only to pay more $$. I personally never tested.

What irritates me more is the condition of the roads after construction in Las Terrenas and the fact that every 'hole in the ground' is sold for construction purposes. I don't know why construction companies are not obliged to repair damaged roads - not to mention cleaning them.

Reactions: chico bill

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
The situation in Las Terrenas today can be explained with 1 word: AirBnB.
This is just a deep madness about owning AirBnB units, and I would say it comes from Santo Domingo, most of it.
Folks buying land and building apartments are from Santo Domingo, folks buying the units from them are from Santo Domingo.
Guesstimation is that it is about 70% Santo Domingo folks, and the rest of them Gringos.
Capitaleños are like sheeps, they all do the same thing, they all come on the same day, they all follow the same trends.
In Las Terrenas, AirBnB is a mighty powerful religious cult, moving a lot of money.

Reactions: CristoRey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Squat, I have seen what Airbnb has done in the Cabarete/Sosua area and there are some parallels. From being one of the original few listings to be one of dozens, perhaps hundreds now. We have all seen the stories of the "Casa Linda Guys Gone Wild" nightmare for other owners next door.

If all the new places are Airbnbs in LT, they will probably go without renters for most of the year and end up eventually being resold.

The Cabarete/Sosua area is able to attract more expats and snowbirds than Las Terrenas seems to be able to do. I can see why that is after just one visit to LT. So there is likely a larger percentage of new homes and condos not being used year round for Airbnb rentals than in Las Terrenas.

Governments are taking notice of Airbnb (Try to book one in the city of Nueva Yolk) and only time will tell if the DR government does anything substantial beyond talking about taxing them to rein in the gentrification they can cause.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Or retirees who want a less expensive place than Florida. I am going with that.

The building of such condos is not just in La Terrenas.
the building of hi rise apts. in Santiago is unabated...and before they are finished they are all sold.. even in La Zurza where I live it seems a new one is started every day.. and there is a law against them .......

Reactions: CristoRey

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Squat, I have seen what Airbnb has done in the Cabarete/Sosua area and there are some parallels. From being one of the original few listings to be one of dozens, perhaps hundreds now. We have all seen the stories of the "Casa Linda Guys Gone Wild" nightmare for other owners next door.

If all the new places are Airbnbs in LT, they will probably go without renters for most of the year and end up eventually being resold.

The Cabarete/Sosua area is able to attract more expats and snowbirds than Las Terrenas seems to be able to do. I can see why that is after just one visit to LT. So there is likely a larger percentage of new homes and condos not being used year round for Airbnb rentals than in Las Terrenas.

Governments are taking notice of Airbnb (Try to book one in the city of Nueva Yolk) and only time will tell if the DR government does anything substantial beyond talking about taxing them to rein in the gentrification they can cause.
If those units sit empty, it's just fine for me, but I noticed during covid that owners will do anything to rent. We had the Santo Domingo teteo/reggaeton crowd invading Las Terrenas then. Somehow I believe it's going on the wrong path, but what can we do, it's a done deal, that ship has already sailed now.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Yes, in general health care is very expensive in DR, as for me, it is better to take insurance from Poland than to buy in local comapny. As I good remeber, they opened new hospital (clinic?) in Las Terrenas. My friend was used it and told me that they are putting all unesessary medical research only to pay more $$. I personally never tested.

What irritates me more is the condition of the roads after construction in Las Terrenas and the fact that every 'hole in the ground' is sold for construction purposes. I don't know why construction companies are not obliged to repair damaged roads - not to mention cleaning them.
Hell if the water companies never repair their trenches why should private developers?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Remember the song "Big Yellow Taxi"?

It seems the DR wants to eliminate the very thing that attracted tourism in the first place.

Overcrowding with crumbling or insufficient infrastructure is a recipe for great ugliness - like cat juggling.

I want to visit the tree museum.

Reactions: Buzz65 and PCMike

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Remember the song "Big Yellow Taxi"?

It seems the DR wants to eliminate the very thing that attracted tourism in the first place.

Overcrowding with crumbling or insufficient infrastructure is a recipe for great ugliness - like cat juggling.

I want to visit the tree museum.

The DR is doing extremely well in attracting tourism. Punta Cana and now Pedernales and of course all those cruise ports.
Is Punta Cana crumbling already?

The north coast and a few hundred to a couple thousand condos for some Airbnbs or Expats are not even on the government's radar despite the lack of infrastructure to
support what is currently being built where I am.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I visited my favourite place on the south coast, Bayahibe, a few days ago. The building of apartment blocks that is going on there is incredible. The once small town that I liked so much will soon be a thing of the past, so it's happening all over the country.