Who's our resident egg expert?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/white-vs-brown-eggs#section3
There is no nutritional difference between brown and white eggs. However, a hen's diet and environment can affect an egg's nutrition.

There's also no difference in yolk or taste. As for shell color: Genes determine shell color, Dr. Bui said. White-feathered chickens with white earlobes lay white eggs; red or brown ones with red earlobes lay brown eggs; and the Ameraucana breed, also known as the Eastern egg chicken, lays eggs with blue shells.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Raise my own chickens for eggs.  they are free range but have a coup with nesting boxes.  Compared to bought eggs,- our yolks are orange and stand up higher.  The whites are thick and surround the egg when in the pan.  The store eggs are paler and the whites thinner seeming to run all over the pan. I estimate I am paying  a price for my own eggs tho--------but for me--priceless!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Can you get Guinea Hens on the island anywhere? I love those eggs.

They're all over the south coast, I assume everywhere in DR. Not sure where you're located.

They sell the hens and the eggs at many big mercados. If the egg seller doesn't have them, ask, they can probably get them for you. The actual hens have to be either cooked in a pressure cooker or on the stove for hours. Can you say 'tough as an old hen?' :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Can you get Guinea Hens on the island anywhere? I love those eggs.

I have seen the fruit man sell them between Sosua and Cabarete.
They have a "gallina" special for lunch sometimes at one of the local restaurants down the hill from CMC and it is good.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I have seen the fruit man sell them between Sosua and Cabarete.
They have a "gallina" special for lunch sometimes at one of the local restaurants down the hill from CMC and it is good.

It took me a while to figure out the difference between gallina and pollo on the menu. I was finally told that gallina was the old retired chickens that had laid eggs until they ran out and then at the age of 2 years were butchered, and pollo is the ones that were raised to butcher at the age of 3 months or less.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My wife also told me because if I liked regular chicken, that I would not like guinea because of the stronger flavor. I ended up really liking gunea and they do serve that once in a while at the same Dominican spot.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Yes, Guinea seems like a richer taste, but I've read it could be because of more yolk, less white in the egg. But yeah, good.

I think I'd like to maybe get a few hens. My niece has them, and Guineas are an odd bunch.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Yes, Guinea seems like a richer taste, but I've read it could be because of more yolk, less white in the egg. But yeah, good.

I think I'd like to maybe get a few hens. My niece has them, and Guineas are an odd bunch.

They supposedly make great guard animals too.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
We used to keep guinea fowl but they won't shut up. They talk all day long and in the end it gets on your nerves!

Matilda

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
They drive you loco! Our neighbours and they are not that close had a bunch of them. I called them máquinas Whole day making noise, worse than roosters.