Why are Braces so desirable

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenshireen

May 21, 2022
usa
My GF of 35 wants braces in the worst way. To me her teeth look perfect. She claims she has an overbite. If she does I never noticed it.
She had braces when she was younger.

Is this a status symbol in the DR because to me she has a great set of choppers

Reactions: Fulano2

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
They are extremely desirable if someone else is dumb enough to pay for them.
No, not teeth. The brace is an orthotic brace. In your case, you'll be happy to know that your Medicare part B covers your orthotic braces and other durable medical equipment like a scooter or tractable bed when you present a valid certificate of medical necessity. Delivered right to your door!

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
Yes, it is a status symbol or 'fashion' and I think its crazy when you don't need to wear them, I had them as a teen and they were not at all comfortable. A couple of our nieces, with good teeth, have them. I wonder what colour their teeth will be when, if ever, they get them removed. Seems like they've been wearing them for years now.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Calm down, I just asked a question. Doesn't mean I did anything

Like scotia said, it's a status symbol.
There are hundreds of people out there who stick them on people's teeth who have no idea what they're doing, let alone being a real dentist. They normally charge a few hundred pesos to do it.
If she just gave you the amount of money she needs for them, it's probably not a real dentist.
I'd tell her you're perfectly happy with her teeth the way they are, and she'll forget about it after a while.

Reactions: drstock

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
My GF of 35 wants braces in the worst way. To me her teeth look perfect. She claims she has an overbite. If she does I never noticed it.
She had braces when she was younger.

Is this a status symbol in the DR because to me she has a great set of choppers
It's a status symbol in certain places. I had no idea until i moved to La romana. A girl at my gym had gotten braces, and you know in casual conversation you ask how long she'll have them for. About a year later they were off and her teeth were....still bad.

Ironically i went to get my tire fixed some days later and he also had a sign offering braces for 800 pesos.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
It's a stepping stone IMO to further medical issues like this that have been known to be asked by the Dominican women. Blown up lips, tummy tuck, breast augmentation, brow lift, an assortment of wigs (one of each week of the month), botox. You get the picture I'm sure.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
It's a stepping stone IMO to further medical issues like this that have been known to be asked by the Dominican women. Blown up lips, tummy tuck, breast augmentation, brow lift, an assortment of wigs (one of each week of the month), botox. You get the picture I'm sure.
ETA: If you have the money just do what she wants. It might be hard to replace her after two years(?) of investing in her. What difference will it make for you???

Reactions: Jumbo and Manuel01

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
They are not a status symbol as much as they are the "in look". Don't be fooled! Most of these are not real braces and are not put in by dentists. They are fake. The girls know it and put them in for the look. Can't remember, but they don't cost much.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
They are not a status symbol as much as they are the "in look". Don't be fooled! Most of these are not real braces and are not put in by dentists. They are fake. The girls know it and put them in for the look. Can't remember, but they don't cost much.
Exactly. I took a girl with me to the dentist while I had some work done and while we were there I had the dentist examine her teeth,she had "braces". The dentist explained to me that they were fake glued on "braces" and were actually damaging her teeth,the girl elected to keep them on despite what the dentist said,ridiculous.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Well that would be a stretch. I've never heard of fake fashion braces, maybe non-prescription colored contacts, but braces?

Reactions: Manuel01

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Exactly. I took a girl with me to the dentist while I had some work done and while we were there I had the dentist examine her teeth,she had "braces". The dentist explained to me that they were fake glued on "braces" and were actually damaging her teeth,the girl elected to keep them on despite what the dentist said,ridiculous.
They called you metal mouth when I was a kid if you had braces. A girl in my 6th grade class had them and she was always drooling and you could smell her bad breath from across the lunchroom table.

• Haha
Reactions: RDKNIGHT
Status
Not open for further replies.