Why do dominicans like Johnny Walker so much?

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
Per capita I think it is higher than USA. You go to houses where they drink and you always see Johnny Walker on shelf. Or maybe Its my imagination.

Dec 26, 2011
And the Marketing.

Dominicans like what they're told they should like. They're highly suggestible. Originality and the willingness to try something outside of what's popular(or what they're told is popular) is not characteristic to them, generally speaking.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Dominicans like what they're told they should like. They're highly suggestible. Originality and the willingness to try something outside of what's popular(or what they're told is popular) is not characteristic to them, generally speaking.

as i posted before, pollogringo, a Dominican bandleader in NY told me that all the Dominican bands use a KORG M1 keyboard, because it makes the" 'right" sound. now that is creative instinct for you, right there.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
Must be the marketing,it hardly is marketed that I know of in usa. The only person I know who likes it his name is Johnny Walker. I guess I will have to try it

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
following up on that, pollogringo, i observed an interesting phenomenon yesterday. every year, on Christmas eve, half the pigs in the DR meet their porcine maker, only to end up on some sort of makeshift barbecue, or spit. funny thing is, all the guys who sell this holiday delicacy congregate in the same spot. twenty guys, all lined up beside each other, fighting for the same customer. nobody thinks of setting up shop on the opposite side of town. they all set up where they do, because the first guy had success there. so, the guys on the malecon side of town have to make a crosstown trip to the Javilla side, where all the sellers congregate. talk about original thinking.

Dec 26, 2011
Must be the marketing,it hardly is marketed that I know of in usa. The only person I know who likes it his name is Johnny Walker. I guess I will have to try it

You're not missing anything. Dewar's is sweeter, while Johnnie Walker's peatier.

If you have the money, skip them both and get yourself a nice single malt.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
following up on that, pollogringo, i observed an interesting phenomenon yesterday. every year, on Christmas eve, half the pigs in the DR meet their porcine maker, only to end up on some sort of makeshift barbecue, or spit. funny thing is, all the guys who sell this holiday delicacy congregate in the same spot. twenty guys, all lined up beside each other, fighting for the same customer. nobody thinks of setting up shop on the opposite side of town. they all set up where they do, because the first guy had success there. so, the guys on the malecon side of town have to make a crosstown trip to the Javilla side, where all the sellers congregate. talk about original thinking.

Monkey sees, monkey does? ;)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

mgbmike, you need to get out more often. many reviewers rank Johnny Walker Black as the best blended Scotch on the planet, and it sure as heck has a huge following in the USA.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have johnny walker because that's that miesposo gets as gifts. personally i'd have ballentine's. we have a history together :) not that i'd tell the difference in a blind taste. it's a mental thing :)

but speaking about whiskey... do you know that latest bond movie, skyfall, featured dominicanish connection? edrington group, the owners of brugal and few whiskeys: famous grouse, cutty sark, highland park and the macellan, had their special 50 year old macellan star along daniel craig and javier bardem.

you know, 50 years of bond, 50 years of macellan. this whiskey comes on sale occasionally at auctions, earlier this year it was sold in scottish bonhams at a modest price of 17.500 british pounds. i say "modest", because internet shop whiskey exchange has it at 30.000 pounds per bottle ;)

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Why do Dominicans drink JW Black?

It's a class thing. Dominicans drink JW Black instead of JW Red because of "Image" and they think it makes them seem to have class. It gives them a feeling of superior taste. I've seen this through the years in many different incarnations with many different alcohols and labels...my own Dominican family is very vulnerable and susceptible to this. few people can tell the difference between JW Black and JW Red, Green, and Gold. The fact of the matter is that Dominicans, African Americans, and nearly all minority groups every where (Pakistanis in Norway do the same thing) automatically gravitate to the whatever is expensive because they think it shows that they have class. it's marketing at its best.

I saw the same thing when i worked in nightclubs in the US. African Americans would order Hennessy Cognac and mix it with "Juice" because ordering Hennessy made them feel classy and knowledgeable, and it gives them an image they are striving for. I did the same thing 30 years ago when i went out. instead of ordering a Budweiser or drinking a draft beer at a nice restaurant, i would order a Heineken--despite disliking the taste of alcohol. I don't drink.

People, from all walks of life want to feel superior, knowledgeable and classy. Everyone wants to rise above their lot in life. No one wants to feel under classed, a minority, a redneck. Everyone wants to give the appearance of class, educated, all knowing.

You see this throughout North America and South America...people perfectly happy drinking draft beer or a vodka tonic...and then suddenly they go out to a nice restaurant and they feel compelled to drink Ketel one, Grey Goose, JW Black, Sky, JW Blue, etc. What kills me most is when people order these things with cranberry juice, coke, diet Pepsi, Orange juice, etc...as if 6cl of alcohol mixed with 12 ounces of a sugar drink is going to be distinguishable?

Crazier then this, however, is when people tell me they can tell the difference between a vodka, whiskey, gin, or rum when its mixed with 12 ounces of sugar and carbonation. People kill me in their ability to deceive themselves.

I don't drink. I never have. It seems to come as a huge surprise to people who meet me for the first time or do not know me well. However, this statement is not entirely true, i will have a half beer or a couple sips of wine once a month...if it's a special occasion. But usually i go months without tasting alcohol for no other reason that i just forget to taste something with alcohol in it.

To me, the JW Black, Red, Green, Gold, and Blue labels are just status symbols--a marketing ploy; a way to make money off stupid people too vulnerable and susceptible to "Image."

Dominicans drink JW Black because they like the image they think it gives them; they think it gives them class and an air of superiority in the same way that many African Americans drink Hennessey cognac with coke or juice.

I've been standing behind a bar now for over 30 years and i've gotten numb to people's stupidity. When kids come up to the bar and order JW Black or Hennessey or Ketel One, Grey Goose, Sky, etc. and then mix it with carbonation and sugar, i just smile and take their money.

People crack me up--but not a much as much as these things that i hear regularly:

1. I can't drink "well" vodka because it gives me a headache...too many impurities in the vodka.

2. I cannot drink such and such alcohol because it makes me aggressive.

3. I can tell the difference between "top shelf" and "Well" (cheap) alcohol even when it mixed with juice or coke.

Yeah, right. Thanks for your money!

FRank

Last edited:

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
I think your right frank, members of my family in Puerto Plata and Santiago have the JW black in liquor cabinets on prominent display. I have asked them but they say they like it. I am a bourbon fan and drink cheap stuff. They certainly have done a good job of marketing it here. I guess I am too redneck, Not many people I know drink it in Texas.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
we have johnny walker because that's that miesposo gets as gifts. personally i'd have ballentine's. we have a history together :) not that i'd tell the difference in a blind taste. it's a mental thing :)

but speaking about whiskey... do you know that latest bond movie, skyfall, featured dominicanish connection? edrington group, the owners of brugal and few whiskeys: famous grouse, cutty sark, highland park and the macellan, had their special 50 year old macellan star along daniel craig and javier bardem.

you know, 50 years of bond, 50 years of macellan. this whiskey comes on sale occasionally at auctions, earlier this year it was sold in scottish bonhams at a modest price of 17.500 british pounds. i say "modest", because internet shop whiskey exchange has it at 30.000 pounds per bottle ;)

12 men and women representing Macallan were here two weeks ago at our bar in Cabarete. They were visiting from Scotland and were here on the island meeting with, what i have to assume, is Brugal. They were being taken around by a guy that lives in Sea Horse Ranch (I met him briefly but forget his name--he lives in Sea Horse Ranch with his wife).

Anyway, the Macallan group were here for something important, i'm sure. It wasn't a vacation excursion that they were on.

Frank

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
frank12, i have mixed agreement with your well reasoned posting. there are Dominicans who drink whiskey because they think it gives them status. however, the ones who drink something like Johnny Black drink it because it is the brand du jour, and they believe that by drinking it, it makes them a part of the glitterati. those are the chopo types, who cannot name another brand of whiskey. the Dominicans with real class and style drink other brands, like Grand Old Parr, to distance themselves from the riff raff.

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
I pretty much agree with you Frank. I am a cheap beer drinker myself and have my preferences in terms of brand but I doubt if I could distinguish between most of the cheap beer brands.

I am a coffee lover, too, and I swear I can taste the difference between coffees.

Why do Dominicans drink JW Black?

It's a class thing. Dominicans drink JW Black instead of JW Red because of "Image" and they think it makes them seem to have class. It gives them a feeling of superior taste. I've seen this through the years in many different incarnations with many different alcohols and labels...my own Dominican family is very vulnerable and susceptible to this. few people can tell the difference between JW Black and JW Red, Green, and Gold. The fact of the matter is that Dominicans, African Americans, and nearly all minority groups every where (Pakistanis in Norway do the same thing) automatically gravitate to the whatever is expensive because they think it shows that they have class. it's marketing at its best.

I saw the same thing when i worked in nightclubs in the US. African Americans would order Hennessy Cognac and mix it with "Juice" because ordering Hennessy made them feel classy and knowledgeable, and it gives them an image they are striving for. I did the same thing 30 years ago when i went out. instead of ordering a Budweiser or drinking a draft beer at a nice restaurant, i would order a Heineken--despite disliking the taste of alcohol. I don't drink.

People, from all walks of life want to feel superior, knowledgeable and classy. Everyone wants to rise above their lot in life. No one wants to feel under classed, a minority, a redneck. Everyone wants to give the appearance of class, educated, all knowing.

You see this throughout North America and South America...people perfectly happy drinking draft beer or a vodka tonic...and then suddenly they go out to a nice restaurant and they feel compelled to drink Ketel one, Grey Goose, JW Black, Sky, JW Blue, etc. What kills me most is when people order these things with cranberry juice, coke, diet Pepsi, Orange juice, etc...as if 6cl of alcohol mixed with 12 ounces of a sugar drink is going to be distinguishable?

Crazier then this, however, is when people tell me they can tell the difference between a vodka, whiskey, gin, or rum when its mixed with 12 ounces of sugar and carbonation. People kill me in their ability to deceive themselves.

I don't drink. I never have. It seems to come as a huge surprise to people who meet me for the first time or do not know me well. However, this statement is not entirely true, i will have a half beer or a couple sips of wine once a month...if it's a special occasion. But usually i go months without tasting alcohol for no other reason that i just forget to taste something with alcohol in it.

To me, the JW Black, Red, Green, Gold, and Blue labels are just status symbols--a marketing ploy; a way to make money off stupid people too vulnerable and susceptible to "Image."

Dominicans drink JW Black because they like the image they think it gives them; they think it gives them class and an air of superiority in the same way that many African Americans drink Hennessey cognac with coke or juice.

I've been standing behind a bar now for over 30 years and i've gotten numb to people's stupidity. When kids come up to the bar and order JW Black or Hennessey or Ketel One, Grey Goose, Sky, etc. and then mix it with carbonation and sugar, i just smile and take their money.

People crack me up--but not a much as much as these things that i hear regularly:

1. I can't drink "well" vodka because it gives me a headache...too many impurities in the vodka.

2. I cannot drink such and such alcohol because it makes me aggressive.

3. I can tell the difference between "top shelf" and "Well" (cheap) alcohol even when it mixed with juice or coke.

Yeah, right. Thanks for your money!

FRank

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I think your right frank, members of my family in Puerto Plata and Santiago have the JW black in liquor cabinets on prominent display. I have asked them but they say they like it. I am a bourbon fan and drink cheap stuff. They certainly have done a good job of marketing it here. I guess I am too redneck, Not many people I know drink it in Texas.

why should they buy Johnnie Black, when every guy who does not drink Jack Daniels has a still in the backyard?