Why doesn't the DR adopts the USD as its currency?

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Currencies rise and fall against the dollar all the time. Makes no sense for a sovereign nation
to adopt the USD for this single reason.

Ha! you have on your own provided a very valid reason why a sovereign nation should/could change its currency to USD..............Did you mean it?

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
The answer is quite simple Jason. The DR would then loose control of the ability to inflate their currency at will. Inflation is the means used by governments to bring down the value of loans and to steal from it's people in the future. Of course loans in foreign currency's would not be affected but all Peso loans are reduced in value as inflation goes up. If they used dollars they would give up this very important power they now control.

ding ding ding...we have a winner. Thank you Sir, great reply; are you an economist?

This is just one of the many reasons in the pot.

Bluceo,

Could you address the bolded/underlined portion, thanks

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Look at the RD currency. The prints of the 3 Sisters , past Presidents etc.
This is part of National Pride.
Taking the USD as a RD currency makes no sense.
What has George Washington got to do with RD History ?
RD would be labeled as a ''Crone State'' under USA control. Only to be treated like Puerto Rico when Disaster hits.
Canada was mentioned here.
Never!
Pride and Independence, that means more than the US Greenback ;
Russell

Pride doesn't work on an empty stomach Russell.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Me too actually.

My country in Europe lost it's national currency when Euro was introduced. This was very many years ago, and by now, it's been discussed multiple times if the country should go back to the national currency.

The prices went mostly up (even if a bit, but still), and quite a few people (for example elderly) did not have a great time first using two currencies simultaneously, then giving up the currency they had used for decades.

Are you from Kosovo?

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
Not recommending they do so...
As far as national pride is concerned though, they don't have problems naming some of their biggest streets after U.S. and other foreign persons.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Ha! you have on your own provided a very valid reason why a sovereign nation should/could change its currency to USD..............Did you mean it?

There would no longer be a need to print their own money and I may be wrong
but the thought of giving up their Central Bank controls may not appeal to some
Dominicans either.

Feb 7, 2007
The answer is quite simple Jason. The DR would then loose control of the ability to inflate their currency at will. Inflation is the means used by governments to bring down the value of loans and to steal from it's people in the future. Of course loans in foreign currency's would not be affected but all Peso loans are reduced in value as inflation goes up. If they used dollars they would give up this very important power they now control.

Wrong. Ability to control currency is mainly used as a measure to affect export competitiveness and not to steal from people. That may be a secondary, not denying possibly welcome, effect.

Feb 7, 2007
Look at the RD currency. The prints of the 3 Sisters , past Presidents etc.
This is part of National Pride.
Taking the USD as a RD currency makes no sense.
What has George Washington got to do with RD History ?
RD would be labeled as a ''Crone State'' under USA control. Only to be treated like Puerto Rico when Disaster hits.
Canada was mentioned here.
Never!
Pride and Independence, that means more than the US Greenback ;
Russell

You can peg a currency as well to US Dollard, as Ecuador does and as Argentina did. Argentina did not do so well, and as a result, when it all came down in 2001, it went through some very bad years economically followed by a decade of very and political situation coming close to what became of Venezuela during Hugo Chavez. Dollarizing or Euroizing the economy only makes sense if there is uncontrolled inflation.

Feb 7, 2007
Ok to keep it as short as you have on your own question, because it'll benefit the country. Now back at you Mr Bob, why not and what would the economics implications be?

No, it would most likely not benefit the country. Did you study at least Macroeconomy 101 in college?

Feb 7, 2007
JasonD you should first study something about Macroeconomy, currency exchange, economic policy, stuff like that... You know, something, so you don't sound so silly (so as not to say stupid and economically uneducated) because what you have produced in this thread and arguments you made (which were not really arguments, it was what you thought were arguments, but they were just products of your wild imagination), well all of that would make even a first year college student of some economic or business related degree roll his eyes and say.. Weeeellll ... Or in Spanish... BUEEEENOOO

Feb 7, 2007
JasonD you must be one of those 'muricans who thing the whole world revolves around the USA and USD is the greatest thing invented since the sliced bread. I got a surprise for you, but you my want to sit down before continuing reading .... it ain't so.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
JasonD you must be one of those 'muricans who thing the whole world revolves around the USA and USD is the greatest thing invented since the sliced bread. I got a surprise for you, but you my want to sit down before continuing reading .... it ain't so.

You sound very angry, angry folks do not think straight and I have no desire to entertain your uncontrollable emotions. I wish you the best however :cheeky:

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
No I'm not, I'm from Western Europe, but thanks for asking... Not sure what does this have to do with the topic on this thread though...

The OP is in regards to countries changing their currencies, you mentioned being from a country which lost their currency to the Euro; Kosovo is a country that lost its currency to the Euro, hence my reply.

Feb 7, 2007
You sound very angry, angry folks do not think straight and I have no desire to entertain your uncontrollable emotions. I wish you the best however :cheeky:

Well and I don't have time to entertain an economically clueless person... Go grab macroeconomic policy books at your local library, then we can continue the conversation. You may come back a changed man though.

There were compelling reasons and circumstances why El Salvador, Ecuador, Kosovo etc. adopted other currency. None of those reasons are present in the DR.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Jason,
This entire thread is a hypothesis and at the most imaginary ;
As a consequence you are getting ''opinions'', all of which are quite valid... since that is the (hopefully) the intent.

If I was a Dominican I would likely think this is yet another invasion of USA to further control our country.
I live in El Campo and I do not see people starving .... but I do see them marching on Independence Day with Pride and purpose.
But, I did see a program on USA TV about the homeless people in the States who are on food stamps; Welfare and soup kitchens are necessary for sustenance of the more than a million homeless in that country.
What is amazing is that they are using the ''USA Currency''.

My opinion is that given time the Dominican Economy , which by the way is growing faster than the Canadian or US Economy ,
will more that sustain the value of the DRPeso. ANd all will be well. Only my humble opinion.
Russell

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Jason,
This entire thread is a hypothesis and at the most imaginary ;
As a consequence you are getting ''opinions'', all of which are quite valid... since that is the (hopefully) the intent.

If I was a Dominican I would likely think this is yet another invasion of USA to further control our country.
I live in El Campo and I do not see people starving .... but I do see them marching on Independence Day with Pride and purpose.
But, I did see a program on USA TV about the homeless people in the States who are on food stamps; Welfare and soup kitchens are necessary for sustenance of the more than a million homeless in that country.
What is amazing is that they are using the ''USA Currency''.

My opinion is that given time the Dominican Economy , which by the way is growing faster than the Canadian or US Economy ,
will more that sustain the value of the DRPeso. ANd all will be well. Only my humble opinion.
Russell

Rusell,

Bud I've learned to respect you thus is tough to even have a different opinion other than the one you have. With that being said, and as you described, opinions are just that. You still one of my favorites posters here BTW.

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
There are many Canadians that vacation and winter in DR because it is more affordable than any other warm destination. If they changed the currency, that would change. Huge loss in real estate and retail.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
The OP is in regards to countries changing their currencies, you mentioned being from a country which lost their currency to the Euro; Kosovo is a country that lost its currency to the Euro, hence my reply.

There are quite a few European countries that lost their currency to Euro, but yet again, I fail to see how my origins have anything to do with this thread... Yes, I mentioned being from there, but you continued with an irrelevant question...