Why is Tourism Minister removing Las Terrenas beach bars??

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Sr. Poppy

People who know from whom the very beach got its name will eventually see what and whom is behind all this...

donP

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Minister of Tourism response:

Elsa de Le?n

Seems like Belmont was right :(

Granted you pay rent, but can you swear the landlord didn't erect an illegal structure on land he doesn't own? Not unheard of for a Dominican to rent or sell a property he didn't have legal right to.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
I had a once in a lifetime opportunity to explore this wonderful country through the eyes of a Dominican friend. He had been out of the country for awhile so we rented a car for a month and travelled all over the map. Since we had grown up in such distant environments I quickly discovered we often had to work hard at accommodating each other?s sense of value. As I reflected on the difference in value instead of simply judging it, I found it became a learning experience and a pleasure instead of a disagreement. I came to love this country and culture so much I stay here for longer and longer periods as a direct result.
As we toured the country I could tell there was a sense of embarrassment at certain tourist style places but so much pride with the vast majority of the country. Through his passion I began to see this country differently than I would have otherwise. One enlightening moment surfaced as we stopped for a Dominican style pee break (sense of value difference, albeit a small one) and he returned to the car in anger. ?It?s all walls? he said. ?They have no right to take away our right to pee on the beach.? I do not remember where we were but I think it was Cabarete. It felt like a long drive until we saw the beach again, but even short distances with an angry person seems to take forever. It was when we came over that mountain pass later, and I found Las Terrenas, that I realized where I needed to set up a more permanent spot to come to. I loved the idea of living at the end of a road like that and seeing the most incredible beaches in the world from way back on the approach. Paradise in paradise! Let us not block the view illegally or criticise the Dominican desire to keep the beaches open. I back that theory, it is after all ?theirs?. I like the idea that the beach belongs to all the Dominican people unlike some countries where it is overbuilt and there is no or limited public beach left.
I met Elsa de Leon on a few occasions. It was not sufficient time for me to know her true politics but she won me over with what I saw. She is a charitable and concerned person and was very generous with her time with me. She comes across as well educated, engaged in the community and very hospitable. She is a senior government politician and involved in so many large projects for Samana. I cannot see her picking out a few small businesses to destroy or wanting to put people out of work, just to complement her busy day. I am exceedingly apprehensive of many of the upcoming major changes but maybe this one in particular is a good direction. Life goes on. My dominican friend and I are still good friends and my sense of value has expanded not become more narrow minded as a result of our trip I will always remember fondly.

Ladygrady

Aug 2, 2011
No ongoing dialogue!

Unfortunately none of these were existing as is the case of the fisherman's village. Those in question have all been built up in the last year or two max.
Question is did Ms Leon really have an ongoing dialog with all these folks ?. It's sad as these small bars on the beach add a lot of charm to the area and it's what the tourists like. Meanwhile, a couple of kms down the beach you have Balcones which has a giant fixed structure inside the 60 meters and that seems to be okay. Money talks perhaps.[/QUOTEHaving been away from this today let me make some points clear. There was not is not any ongoiong dialogue. The first notice we received cannot speak for others was, Tuesday! Secondly, these bars for the most part have been here all the 7 years I have been here. None are new. Thirdlyn good point raised the rich (I E Balcones can buiild a huge structure and have any of you locals tried to sit on "their beach"! Not allowed but heh all our beaches are public right? Fouthly our tourists come here for the deloghts and pleasures our wide open beaches bring. The various beach bar owners do not prohibiy anybody from using their beach unlike Balcones. I believe we provide a huge cog in the wheel of this very special place which has developed with charm and beauty. Don't kill the hand that feed you guys!!

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
If you think Balcones is bad have you seen the plans for Atlantik Plaza, a stones throw from the beach shanties? Maybe that is what DonP is refering too. At least I hope his reference is that simple. Everything I wanted to leave behind when investing here is coming in one spot. I would vote for a Sirena though so good food supply is important to me but if it had to include a walmart ..... a quick no.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What next? Sosua beach?

Makes one wonder how long it will take before the businesses are removed from Sosua beach. It has been a rumor that would happen for years now.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
Windeguy, now for the hard question. Are they keepers and a golden goose or do they fall under the general direction of "keep the beaches beaches"..

Ladygrady

Aug 2, 2011
Elsa de Leon resigned?

I heard last night that all was back to normal, Elsa de Leon has stood down and the businesses are back to business as usual. A meeting in Santo Domingo at a high level resolved the issue pretty quickly. After all the huge investment by the government they did not at all want to see our beaches without services. Our tourists, foreigners and Dominicans both, want the beaches to be free and open as they are but with some level of service as the 21st century is what we live in. I can think of nowhere in this country where the balance is as good as it is here. In Las Terrenas the only bit of beach you are not free to sit on and use is in front of Balcones de Atlantico.
Everywhere else is and should remain open to all (in my opinion).

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I heard last night that all was back to normal, Elsa de Leon has stood down and the businesses are back to business as usual. A meeting in Santo Domingo at a high level resolved the issue pretty quickly. After all the huge investment by the government they did not at all want to see our beaches without services. Our tourists, foreigners and Dominicans both, want the beaches to be free and open as they are but with some level of service as the 21st century is what we live in. I can think of nowhere in this country where the balance is as good as it is here. In Las Terrenas the only bit of beach you are not free to sit on and use is in front of Balcones de Atlantico.
Everywhere else is and should remain open to all (in my opinion).

Quick question....

As I said before, I don't mind the service on the beach.
But, if I understand correctly, the issue was that the businesses in question did not have the necessary permits to be operating on the beach. Was it the case ?

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
I'm glad to hear this decision. I hope that the businesses on the beach will have an opportunity to obtain any necessary permits so that this does not occur again.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
Sounds like it was a happy resolution for everyone. That is also a sign of movement towards civilized negotiations. Someone told me that Punta Cana has many beaches that are restricted by hotels. Hopefully this is not a trend. There is a restricted beach on the island off of Samana due to an AI. I seem to think that Balcone brought in a lot of their own sand. Not that it makes a difference but if that is true then it was not a beach that would have been otherwise used anyway. There is going to be a lot more pain coming down the road to making Samana a destination. I am pleased for LadyGrady. It is nice to have a balance but the wealth that might be arriving will bring more difficult change. Lets hope everyone can be accommodated in the future.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Balcones cleaned up the beach and basically turned a small beach and large cocnut grove into a small cocnut grove and a large beach.

Recuerda,,, the Balcones people are 'seriously' connected in SDQ.... no favor too large for them to ask or be granted.

justdoit

May 3, 2011
Lee,
Very true indeed.. the Beach Club across from the airport moves like a snail... nice units though, I have seen the model apartments and the quality of materials and design is outstanding... but the entire complex looks the same for a year now (I saw it in July last time, I'm not sure of the progress to date)... While Balcones is going and going and going like the energizer bunny...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sounds like Balcones will have the only finished project in LT when they're done.

I think they have a wider price range in this second project than the first one.

The quality in the first project was extremely good.... expensive but good.
All European fittings in the kitchens and baths..... top quality.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Lee, I hope you aren't right and i don't think you are right.

The Balcones is totally Dominican and a very legitimate business.... I doubt they are full of ILLEGAL WORKERS.

The beach access smells like a preferential deal... they have influence in high places, I suspect... but the whole beach ambience revolves around the local community and those beaches.
Balcones knows that... their other project has no restaurant option.... all public food/dining places.

The second project is much bigger - more of a community style - and offers a beach club of sorts..... in addition to the numerous other 'shack' options.

As a practical matter - if the Balcones people wanted those food shacks shut down....... my bet would be that they would shut down - PRONTO.

They will make better friends than enemies...... and I suspect they want to be friends.

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
All the beachbars are still there. The only thing they removed where the sumbrellas, which where put with concrete as a base, in the land. Which is not allowed. And for that you need to ask permission. Balcones has this permission by the way.

So in fact every bar is open, at least half an hour ago. Only thing that changed is: they replaced the fixed umbrellas by removable ones. Also the fixed chairs are removed.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
we are talking about a short stretch of services here that supply food and beer to the beach goers and supposedly supported by full service operations on the main side of the road. Why is it no one can tell the truth anymore? If you go back through this thread there are references to destroying hard working people' businesses, depriving people of cold beer, depriving children of ice cream, corrupted government, protests, ruination of the tourist industry during high season, horrible influential business neighbours, and lots more. If the latest summary is correct the tourism industry wanted to keep some cement off the beach that reflects a law in place for many many years. The businesses are crying and crying, the beer drinkers are crying and crying and no one is willing to do according to government guidelines? Is it chaos or is it a few illegal structures? Simple question but lets bring out the drama.

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
As told, its absolutely no problem to buy a beer on the beach, sit inside the shade or in the sun. Its not a chaos but many people think that here you can do anything you want... And like every country here is also law.