Why so many Dominicans with ridiculous names?

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
I've seen many people with ridiculous, and just plain stupid names. Usually coming in the form of Anglicisms. You may find some old people with names like " Calletano", " Viriato", " Isidro". Those names may sound weird or just " old era names", and you don't see many people naming their babies nowadays with them. Nevertheless, these are Hispanic names, and they correspond to a Hispanic nationality like Dominicans. But the names that are coming nowadays are just shocking ! Here are some examples, these are not real people, but it is an example of the types you can encounter.

Johnson Rodriguez

Jupiter Nu?ez

Johanna Vega

etc,. I don't understand, having a whole list of normal, descent, Spanish names like Jose Francisco Pe?a Gomez, Hipolito Mejia, Roberto Angel Salcedo, etc, etc. Why choose these stupid Anglicisms and sometimes " astronomisms"? . In the old days it used to be chosen from the calendar, the saint of the day of birth. Now people get their names from Hollywood stars or something.
Sometimes you can see the Anglos in the U.S wanting to laugh at a stupid, ridiculous name like " Johnson Rodriguez". Common now !

Jun 5, 2004
Campo

Campo and traditons are the main cause how come Dominican people have such of wierd names. If your grandfather's name is Jose you have to be Carlos Jose. Here are a few intresting names:

Cucha
Lila
Quina
Bullullo
Chubira
etc etc

You want a wierd name just ask a Dominican person!

Yari

Aug 18, 2005
every name in the history of names was made up by somebody...I am sure that Jane, peter, Jonathan, Mackenzie, and Madison all sounded weird or stupid to someone at some point. the only thing I think is "weird or stupid" is when people name their kids after things such as liquor like Alize :nervous:

yari

asopao said:
I've seen many people with ridiculous, and just plain stupid names. Usually coming in the form of Anglicisms. You may find some old people with names like " Calletano", " Viriato", " Isidro". Those names may sound weird or just " old era names", and you don't see many people naming their babies nowadays with them. Nevertheless, these are Hispanic names, and they correspond to a Hispanic nationality like Dominicans. But the names that are coming nowadays are just shocking ! Here are some examples, these are not real people, but it is an example of the types you can encounter.

Johnson Rodriguez

Jupiter Nu?ez

Johanna Vega

etc,. I don't understand, having a whole list of normal, descent, Spanish names like Jose Francisco Pe?a Gomez, Hipolito Mejia, Roberto Angel Salcedo, etc, etc. Why choose these stupid Anglicisms and sometimes " astronomisms"? . In the old days it used to be chosen from the calendar, the saint of the day of birth. Now people get their names from Hollywood stars or something.
Sometimes you can see the Anglos in the U.S wanting to laugh at a stupid, ridiculous name like " Johnson Rodriguez". Common now !

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
Well let's see....

on the Dominican side of my family we have (oldest to youngest) Jose, Carmen, Julio, Johnny, Nany, Michael, Kristy, Sean, Jordy, Nadia, Keira, Mischa...... With time comes change my friend. Some people are trditionalists and some are trailblazers. Besides, I'm pretty sure you didn't name yourself, you get what your given and thats it be proud.

project9

May 29, 2004
I don't think those names you mentioned are ridiculous or stupid at all ... but maybe it's because your post is so stupid and ridiculous that it overshadows completely the names you listed.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Do you have any Idea how many Dominicans are named "ELVIS"

Give me a break......

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
project9 said:
I don't think those names you mentioned are ridiculous or stupid at all ... but maybe it's because your post is so stupid and ridiculous that it overshadows completely the names you listed.

Negative. What that shows you is a lack of culture. When Italians first started immigrating to the US at the end of 19th century, Many faced severe discrimination from the Anglosaxon/Germanic establishment. So many Italians chose to give their American-born children Angliciced names so they can " blend in" better and face less discrimination. Many others followed same suit. But in Latin American countries like DR, what is the reason of giving for giving a child a ridiculous arse name like " Kennedy Lopez"?

Children should be given names that represent our culture. Dominicans speak Spanish, so it looks " normal" that the children get " normal Spanish names". Where is the pride of being Dominican? of being Latin American then? DR is not U.S, Cananda, Britain for ridiculous arse names like " Johnny, Anthony', just have it as " Juan, Antonio". We didn't have " John Paul Duarte", we had " Juan Pablo Duarte !".

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I agree that labelling others as having "stupid" names is rude and ignorant. Just because a name doesnt sound to you like it "jives", doesnt mean it isnt music to anothers ears!
Tolerance people...stop judging!!! ;)

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
irishdomician said:
on the Dominican side of my family we have (oldest to youngest) Jose, Carmen, Julio, Johnny, Nany, Michael, Kristy, Sean, Jordy, Nadia, Keira, Mischa...... With time comes change my friend. Some people are trditionalists and some are trailblazers. Besides, I'm pretty sure you didn't name yourself, you get what your given and thats it be proud.

Jose, Julio and Nadia are proper names for Dominicans. I'm sorry but the others are just plain ridiculous. Your family ( I think) have Spanish/African lineage, not English/African lineage, so why all these Anglicisms? I don't care about the " times". It can be the year 3000, if Dominicans still speak Spanish and eat platanos, we should maintain our Spanish names. You don't say you are " indio" when you're clearly a Mulatto and you don't say you're "Michael" when there is a perfectly Spanish language equivalent to it that is " Miguel"!

I didn't name myself, ofcourse, but I was given a ridiculous arse name,and I did change it to a normal Spanish name when I became of age. Do you know that in Peru they have a law that prevent parents from giving their children stupid arse names?
I saw that in the news one time. They've found that on the phone books names like :

Marciana De la Cruz
Hitler Mego

There was one scientist that named one of his daughters " RH-O negativo". This is true !

Do you think that a child deserves to grow up with the humilliations from stupid arse names like these?? I think that in Peru parents can only choose from an Official list approved by the government. It is part of the " child protection laws" in the country. There are many ignorant parents without any education or culture, they just don't know any better.

In Japan too, I haven't met a single Japanese with a non-Yamato name. All you see everywhere are names like :

Ichiro Honda
Michiko Suzuki
Nobunaga Nakamura
Ryutaro Hashimoto

Parents have to choose from an official list of Chinese characters to give a name to their babies. There was a time when a crazy, stupid guy overthere wanted to name his son " Akuma" , which in Japanese means " devil". Ofcourse, it was immediately tossed out by the government.

I haven't seen extremes like these in DR(yet). Anglicisms aren't something " humiliating" , but they do show a lack of culture.

Last edited:
May 31, 2005
Oh please. You are just frustrated because you did not like the name that you got as a child. Let everyone else be happy. There are many people from other countries naming their children "Spanish" or "hispanic" names. They don't have a lack of culture for doing it. :tired:

Yari

Aug 18, 2005
who made this guy the name police?? like dragonfly mentioned, if an American named their child maria or marisol, then are they lacking culture too? look man, a name is a name is a name. like others have mentioned, we do not get to choose them so they therefor do not DEFINE us!

And it certainly does not mean that a parent is lacking in the culture department if he/she chooses a name from a different culture...on the contrary, I think that the parent may be even more culturally diverse in having chosen a name that is not "typical"...how many Jose's and Maria's can there be? :tired:

Yari

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Most Dominicans must not get too upset by the matter of names. If they were bothered, you wouldn't see a great many of the apodos (nicknames) that would be very objectionable to sensitive people.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Nothing better to do....

This thread is one of the most ridiculous and insensitive threads I have seen. You simply have nothing better to do then start making fun of Dominican people's names? Crrrrrrrrrripes!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
You have to admit, though...

that some of these names are kind of funny in a way.

I'll name a few... all first names...

Afrodisio, Birmania, Edison

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
asopao said:
Jose, Julio and Nadia are proper names for Dominicans. I'm sorry but the others are just plain ridiculous. Your family ( I think) have Spanish/African lineage, not English/African lineage, so why all these Anglicisms? I don't care about the " times". It can be the year 3000, if Dominicans still speak Spanish and eat platanos, we should maintain our Spanish names. You don't say you are " indio" when you're clearly a Mulatto and you don't say you're "Michael" when there is a perfectly Spanish language equivalent to it that is " Miguel"!

I didn't name myself, ofcourse, but I was given a ridiculous arse name,and I did change it to a normal Spanish name when I became of age. Do you know that in Peru they have a law that prevent parents from giving their children stupid arse names?
I saw that in the news one time. They've found that on the phone books names like :

Marciana De la Cruz
Hitler Mego

There was one scientist that named one of his daughters " RH-O negativo". This is true !

Do you think that a child deserves to grow up with the humilliations from stupid arse names like these?? I think that in Peru parents can only choose from an Official list approved by the government. It is part of the " child protection laws" in the country. There are many ignorant parents without any education or culture, they just don't know any better.

In Japan too, I haven't met a single Japanese with a non-Yamato name. All you see everywhere are names like :

Ichiro Honda
Michiko Suzuki
Nobunaga Nakamura
Ryutaro Hashimoto

Parents have to choose from an official list of Chinese characters to give a name to their babies. There was a time when a crazy, stupid guy overthere wanted to name his son " Akuma" , which in Japanese means " devil". Ofcourse, it was immediately tossed out by the government.

I haven't seen extremes like these in DR(yet). Anglicisms aren't something " humiliating" , but they do show a lack of culture.

You see my friend, the first name of a person is not always the one you would try and identify their culture with, it's the last name that holds the history and culture. This name will NEVER change!

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
Yari said:
who made this guy the name police?? like dragonfly mentioned, if an American named their child maria or marisol, then are they lacking culture too? look man, a name is a name is a name. like others have mentioned, we do not get to choose them so they therefor do not DEFINE us!

And it certainly does not mean that a parent is lacking in the culture department if he/she chooses a name from a different culture...on the contrary, I think that the parent may be even more culturally diverse in having chosen a name that is not "typical"...how many Jose's and Maria's can there be? :tired:

Yari

What I mean is a first name that matches your last name. and to answer your question , YES, it is also a lack of culture. Anyways, you find very little of these " mismatches" in people of Anglo lineage, like " Carlos", or "Juanita" with African American women. Compare this to DR, in DR Anglicism are in epidemic proportions. Juan Pablo Duarte is rolling in his tomb.

The parents of Leonardo DiCaprio gave him a good, matching Italian/southern European name that matches " DiCaprio". That is good, that was smart. Sounds like Leonardo Da Vinci, you don't have a " Robert Da Vinci" , that is ridiculous, stupid.

I'm not advocating for an official list of names like in Asian countries, althought I've found that in countries like Japan ,there is a true sense of identity, people don't allow foreign names to contaminate their traditional names. Yamato names are beautiful adn plentiful, so they don't need to get replaced with " Michael, Johny, Jennifer, etc".

I do advocate that the government does prohibit parent from giving name to their kids like " Marciana". There should be either an " exclusionary list" or an " inclusionary list". This may sound fascist, but there should be some child protection of some sort. Just because you're a parent doesn't mean you can do whatever you want with your kid, including beating him or her all the time senselessly. Protections in naming babies should also be included in the package.

LadiiCalii

Sep 5, 2005
I understand people wanting names to represent their cultures, but come on! A lot of the culture of DR seems to be of African, Amerindian, and Non-Spaniard European origins, translated into Spanish- so why then are you worried about the authenticity of culture?... and a lot of those traditional Spanish names have their Anglo equivalents. Come on now... Miguel, Jose, Juan, Roberto, Ricardo, Lucia, Carolina, Alberto, Francisco, Maria.... don't they sound vaguely like Anglo names you've heard of?

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
irishdomician said:
You see my friend, the first name of a person is not always the one you would try and identify their culture with, it's the last name that holds the history and culture. This name will NEVER change!

True in some way. What I'm getting at is to give a child a name that matches the last name. I believe that the first name always must match the lineage of the last name. Example " Leonardo DiCaprio", Antonio Banderas, Enrique Iglesias, Marco Antonio Solis, Juan Luis Guerra, Angelica Carrasco etc" those are perfect examples of matching your fist name with last names.

A name like " Jennifer Jimenez" sounds to me like an atrocious Spanglish. You have the fist " J" pronounced like Spanish " Y" and the other J pronounced like regular Spanish " J". I hate when people speak in Spanglish, it is a sign of lack of culture definition for me, and this is no different.

I've adviced family and friends that are expectant parents to give their unborn child a Spanish name that matches their last names, and some have taken my advice. A few others have even changed their Anglicised or Galicized names. Some people agree and others don't. I'm just happy with the people that agree with me.

Last edited: