Why that Marjory of Dominicans tame to like hip hop or reggae better than rock?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's a class, and urban vs rural thing.

About three or four years ago I accompanied a visit to the DR by an up-and-coming British musician who has since become an A-list celebrity, married to a Hollywood star and well-known for his campaigning work.

We drove out to the campo in the southwest, and he asked young people we met there what sort of music they listened to. It was all bachata, merengue. They hadn't even heard of Britney Spears or Jennifer Lopez - "How refreshing!" - let alone his rock band.

Later that day he went to record an interview at one of the radio stations in the capital, I can't remember which one but it broadcasts western style rock to a young urban audience, to find that his band's debut album was at no. 1 on their playlist.

Maybe Dominicans outside the DR are more inclined to listen to Latino music as a way of reinforcing their identity? (Speculation, I have no clue).

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Chirimoya said:

About three or four years ago I accompanied a visit to the DR by an up-and-coming British musician who has since become an A-list celebrity, married to a Hollywood star and well-known for his campaigning work.

We drove out to the campo in the southwest, and he asked young people we met there what sort of music they listened to. It was all bachata, merengue. They hadn't even heard of Britney Spears or Jennifer Lopez - "How refreshing!" - let alone his rock band.

Later that day he went to record an interview at one of the radio stations in the capital, I can't remember which one but it broadcasts western style rock to a young urban audience, to find that his band's debut album was at no. 1 on their playlist.

So Chiri, did yall do all that sex, drugs and rock n' roll stuff that rock singers are famous for ;) ??? Maybe it was 102.1 FM, la X-102, that had his song at the top? Or maybe 95.7 FM, La Nota Diferente?? I tune into their broadcasts online every Wednesday night. Mostly a mix of old rock and techno on X-102. One thing I find interesting is how much the "upper-class" Dominicans like to listen to New Wave stuff. Look at how much Pet Shop Boys and other groups get promoted when they do a concert in Altos de Chavon. It's definitely a class thing to me and also a urban vs. rural thing. However, every time I go and visit family in Cotui, I hear my younger relatives listening to rock more and more each year...........

Stodgord, Chiri and Capo explained exactly how things go in regards to the rock scene in the DR. And I wish Tony C was here so we could hear him babble on and on about how "there's no such thing as Spanish Rock and I'm a purist and elitist"...........those were some funny posts :p

P.S: Capo, too funny with the 'SCRemo' description :p, just tell them to stop crying about the music

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Jon S. said:
So Chiri, did yall do all that sex, drugs and rock n' roll stuff that rock singers are famous for ;) ???

Nope, I got all that out of my system when he was still in diapers.;)

Come to think of it, he did ask one question which I, in my 'innocence', translated as "donde esta la farmacia?":rolleyes:

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Awesome said:
(stodgord or whatever your name is)byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee have you ever try listening to rock and getting wild and crazy and just feeling free and not giving a **** of what people might say(try it it's awesome)

You mean like body slam dancing and banging my head against the wall....no thanks I will pass on that. I don't know much about Rock and its history but I know blacks don't dominate that genre anymore. I have only heard of one rock band headed by a black person "Hootie and the blowfish". Anyways, my comments were regarding los jevitos de Santo Domingo and the wannabes (a.k.a Los Plasticos) and their love for foreign musics, instead of the locally grown. I do apoligize for making the white world statement and I leave it at just pure coincidence that the jevitos preferred musics (techno, rock and other) listened by the majority in Europe and the US.

Plasticos: people who has limited means but act like they don't to give a false appearance of wealth. Example: a ghetto girl or boy badly wanting to fit in in the upper class, starts acting like, listening and frequenting the places where the upper class hangout. When asked where they live their response is "el Naco" instead of "guachupita".

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Stodgord said:
Plasticos: people who has limited means but act like they don't to give a false appearance of wealth. Example: a ghetto girl or boy badly wanting to fit in in the upper class, starts acting like, listening and frequenting the places where the upper class hangout. When asked where they live their response is "el Naco" instead of "guachupita".

Ella era una chica plastica, de esas que van por ahi
Que cuando andan rapido, sudan Chanel #3

'Plastico' by Ruben Blades ;)

I've met plenty of people like that everywhere I've lived at. They suck and they're fake, always talking about what they've "got" :tired:

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Hi Awesome or should it be dude or dudelet ;) ,

I see that you are young and since your english is not all that good I can only assume two things, 1. You suck at grammer or 2. You just arrived from DR.

I live in NYC as well and I must tell you, even though YOU are not influenced by your surrounding neighborhood, it definitely PLAYS a deciding factor when it comes to peoples choices (especially if they were born there). I will take NYC as an example, Harlem = Rap, Soho & The Village = Rock, Washington Heights = Merengue, Bachata, etc. Spanish Harlem (back then before Mexican explosion) = exclusively Salsa, as one moves through the city and different sectors, the music and accents change. I will take Brooklyn as my second example, to be more specific the Dominican enclave in the Williamsburg sector also known as Los Sures, in this specific area gentrification is happening alot of young professionals and artists are moving in and moving the hispanic familes out. In the Southside there are about 3 territories, the Jewish side (won't discuss), the Hispanic side and "Hipster" side, to make it more simple I'll go by the train stations. The J,M, & Z train stations (Marcy to Hooper St stops) is the very hispanic side of Williamsburg but once you head towards the L & G train stations (Bedford Ave & Lorimer St) it is a totally different world. I call some of the newer residents "Hipsters", these hipsters are changing the scene, alot of cafes, art gallerys, and punk rock clubs are opening, in fact in my opinon it's starting to resemble a poor man's version of the village/Soho. I recommend you visit this sector of BK alot of avant, alternative, punk rock bands are coming out, one of them is Yeah Yeah Yeahs, a better known band is They Might Be Giants (Malcolm in the Middle theme song), and one more notable newer band is TV on the Radio. Since you claim to be part of the "nerd" crowd, I must warn you these punk rockers do more drugs then the hip-hoppers and way harder drugs as well, I'm talking about heroine and cocaine....

Anyway, back to music, if you want to get into some good real good hip-hop I recommend Immortal Technique (Political), Dead Prez, Common, Mos Def, De La Soul, The Roots, Talib Kweli, Tupac, AZ, Nas, & Jay-Z (Yes Jay-Z, he is not all commercial, listen to his lyrics "dude"). I understand your disgust feeling towards "gangster" rap, I dislike 50 Cent, Cam'ron, and all these other BS rappers but I also dislike emo bands. When I was your age (I'm 20 BTW) I didn't listen to rock because I considered rock to be noise and nothing else but I grow up and thanks to Enrique Bunbury & Heroes del Silencio I listen to rock now and I like it, I'm just saying don't be closed minded. The rap that is currently on radio is all commercial aimed for the ghetto people or those who want to be ghetto (See Havoc the movie). And on the Latino music I recommend this local group from Brooklyn, they are rock/rap/tropical, they are called Los Joaquines, it's hard to find their stuff but trust me they are good, it's what I call Dominican "Rock" (maybe?), sounds good yet has humorous lyrics and it's feels good (its not emo but you might like them).

I have a question: Are there any good new Dominican rock bands? I haven't heard of any, of course I don't live in DR... but if anybody has any recommendations, I would definitely like to hear, maybe when I'm down there I'll buy an EP or something.

Peace,
Capo

P.S. If anybody wants to listen to TV on the Radio here is a free song (offered by them on their website), it is political: http://www.tgrec.com/news/detail.php?id=101

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Most people will always go with what's hot.

Dominican will do the chicken dance if that is the current fad.

But your ID of dominicans preferring Hip hop and rap over anything else is more noticible because the people that mostly display an interest for this kind of music are the people that you are gonna see in the streets, the parks and the clubs dancing and acting stupid.

These people are mostly your avg poor that is not concern about appearance or how they act in public.

They just want to have fun vs the higher class dominican that even if they like Rap and Hip Hop they would still pretend that they don't like it just because it does not go with the image that they are suppose to project.

These classes are the people that most likely you would not even see dancing because they are too conservative and even worried that they may trip and fall and become the crowds entertainment.

They try not to draw too much attn and you would not really see them in public places bobbing their heads or with the music blasting.

Most parties are held private and there would basically be good food, conversations and very minimum dancing....The avg hip hop, rap clubheads would find these parties very boring because not many people getting stupid dancing or talking loud.

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
capodominicano said:
The rap that is currently on radio is all commercial aimed for the ghetto people or those who want to be ghetto (See Havoc the movie).

But the "ghetto people" don't buy albums, they burn them and sell them on the corner for 2 dollars a pop if you know the game, or 5 dollars if you're taken for a sucker. Commercial rap is aimed towards the middle-class and suburban america--those with disposable incomes.

neverlost

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 7, 2004
Mr_DR said:
Most parties are held private and there would basically be good food, conversations and very minimum dancing....The avg hip hop, rap clubheads would find these parties very boring because not many people getting stupid dancing or talking loud.

You're a 3rd world mind is just full of class based stereotypes isn't it??:ermm:

neverlost

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 7, 2004
Exxtol said:
But the "ghetto people" don't buy albums, they burn them and sell them on the corner for 2 dollars a pop if you know the game, or 5 dollars if you're taken for a sucker. Commercial rap is aimed towards the middle-class and suburban america--those with disposable incomes.

At Least somebody here understands who is buying all that "ghetto" hip hop
(sheesh!)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Exxtol said:
This is certainly an interesting industry!

A handful (as in you can count them with the finger of one hand) of record labels are mass producing and selling the so called "ghetto" culture (can we call them "chopos" too?) to the "non-ghetto" groups.

Why? Because the real "ghettos" don't have the money to buy the original money making albums?

I don't think it has to do with not having the money, but rather not wanting to pay the amount being asked by the album/stores. However, the label companies are attempting to strengthen anti-piracy laws and punishment to those who do indulge in such thing.

-NALs

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
About two weeks ago, I went to the Red Room club in Santo Domingo, where they played mostly techno. The crowd there was, in appearance, typical upper middle class and rich people. Since I love techno, this place was great !

A few hours before closing, the same people were dancing and singing to hip hop, reggaeton, merengue and some rock songs.. I was surprised, because in my home country (Ecuador) those clubs catering to rich kids will not play hip hop, reggaeton, merengue - they don't like the stuff !

Like another poster said, it depends the environment you live in and hang out. Here in Washington Heights, most of the young people, love hip hop and reggaeton ( what's the problem with liking it - the beats are incredible)

But I know some dominicans, in Washington Heights, that prefer merengue, bachata, perico ripao and pop songs. There's also another segment that likes techno, rock and pop, etc..

T.O.N.Y

Apr 5, 2005
capodominicano said:
Washington Heights = Merengue, Bachata
??? Not all of Washington Heights nor does the majority of WH listens to that type of music. As a matter of fact I know alot of Dominicans who ridicule their own people for listening to that type of music. I think the term mostly used to make fun of these people is "hicks"

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Awesome said:
...the goo goo dolls...

Hmmm. You're not classifying the Goo Goo Dolls as rock, are you? They're a good band but rock and rollers they are not.

Categorizing the GGD as rock kinda reminds me of when Jethro Tull beat out Metallica for the heavy metal award at the Grammys.

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Chirimoya said:

Chiri~

Tell me you're not talking about Chris Martin?!?

If so then you are one lucky woman!

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
sunshine_79 said:
Chiri~

Tell me you're not talking about Chris Martin?!?

If so then you are one lucky woman!

How about keep it on the hush ;) ?? No need to speak on it............