Will the cholera outbreak spell doom for the DR or is it just a nothingburger?

Jan 3, 2003
Fact is the Artibonite river is the source of the contamination, 2 case reported in P.A.P today, sources predict over 400.000 deaths in the next few months.

Will cholera spread massively to the DR?

If cholera spreads to the DR in an epidemic form, will DR's precious tourism jewel be affected?

Will fear prone tourists avoid the DR at all costs and what will this mean for the DR?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

If cholera spreads to the DR in an epidemic form, will DR's precious tourism jewel be affected?

Will fear prone tourists avoid the DR at all costs and what will this mean for the DR?

Nothing will affect the All Inclusives... talk about an isolated population!

I doubt that it will even cross the border intensively .. since purified water is readily available all over the DR and so the main vector is closed.

Jan 3, 2003
It seems the DR gov't is panicking. From DOMINICAN TODAY:

UN troops disperse Haitians, Dominican Republic seals border-

SANTO DOMINGO. – The Dominican Government on Monday afternoon bolstered the military patrols along the 130 mile long border with Haiti to halt the entry of undocumented foreigners infected with cholera, which has killed as many as 300 Haitians, just hours after the UN Peacekeepers fired tear gas to disperse a crowd awaiting to cross into the northwest town Dajabon.

President Leonel Fernandez announced the decision after meeting with the ministers of the Armed Forces, Virgilio Perez, and of Public Health, Bautista Rojas, who said the only Haitians who’ll be allowed to enter the country’s are those who take part in the cross-border markets and must use the bridges.

The Government also said it has the resources needed to keep the disease from entering the country.

The Presidency’s Press director Rafael N??ez announced the implementation of a sanitary quarantine along the border in collaboration with Haiti.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
O&C - no, not doomed quite yet.

Cholera is a bacterial infection, easily treated and easily avoided - unless you are dirt poor thus cannot afford handwash/soap and use water that is not treated.

I think we would need a half decent meteorite strike to have a Dominican doomsday scenario as per the "Book of O&C".

To be honest that is all that Haiti is missing these days - just to finish the job.

Lane53

Mar 3, 2009
Cholera Catastrophe Spreads in Haiti

"They are doing exactly the wrong thing," said Dr. Manolo Castro. "When you bring cholera victims into a hospital, especially one with poor conditions, you stand a good chance of infecting all the patients in that hospital."

"It is essential to isolate cholera victims from other patients, especially where there is poor sanitation," said Dr. Castro, who helped squelch another cholera outbreak when stationed in the Cape Verde islands in 1994. "The government should also stop all traffic and travel between the affected area and those not affected. Otherwise, the disease is going to spread."

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well, they have pretty much identified the source according to AP. The Nepalese soldiers and their waste. Improper handling and storage of human wastes.
Bottom line: The UN has killed over 300 Haitians and will kill hundreds more before this is over.
The UN is responsible and the world will soon know about it, since there are photos and evidence galore.
If it should break out here, the UN has to pay the DR for every penny spent is treating and isolating it.

I have to agree that Isolation is a key element in the stemming of the outbreak.

Whether it will or when it will get here remains to be seen.
It is terrible. It must be stopped. The government is spending a lot on propaganda: Wash hands. clean water. clean food. clean water. clean hands. clean water.....

HB

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

Everything DR with you finds gloom and doom in the same sentence as always!!!

Sir! Step away from that kool-aid!!!! Put it down on the floor and turn around with your hands up atop your head! Huh? Sorry! Atop whatever is left of it then!

Reactions: mountainannie

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Oral vaccines for cholera and travellers diarrhea such as Dukoral are readily available for worried travelers. I used it this spring before coming to POP and it stays in your system for 4 months.

Nothing will affect the All Inclusives... talk about an isolated population!

Not all of them, I stay there but I am outside all the time discovering and putting money in the local economy. Not all tourists who stay at all inclusives are the same.

I don't think Canadians will stop visiting the DR because of the Cholera and I doubt even if it passes the borders that it will have the same effect as in Haiti. I am pretty certain that the Health Dept must be taking this epidemic very seriously.