wind turbines

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Stodgord said:
Goergios,

I am extremely insterested in the Wind turbine that you are advertising. I just bought a 388 Tareas (approximately 62 Acres) land in Hato Mayor that has the perfect hill top for a wind turbine. My plan is to build a home at the hill top and install a wind turbine for power. When your design is ready please let me know.
I am also very interested in alternative energy (wind & solar). I researched quite a bit on the wind generators but decided against them. From what I can determine, the maintenance associated with wind generators is relatively high. Further, the speciality of understanding how to maintain one to peak efficiency is hard to come by.

So while I would love to have wind generators on my finca (small 165 tarea), I can't get past the issue of maintenance. Does anyone else have any notion on this?

Solar, on the other hand, requires very little maintenance. Who on the island is the best with solar?

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
Wind Turbine Update.

Stodgord said:
Goergios,

I am extremely insterested in the Wind turbine that you are advertising. I just bought a 388 Tareas (approximately 62 Acres) land in Hato Mayor that has the perfect hill top for a wind turbine. My plan is to build a home at the hill top and install a wind turbine for power. When your design is ready please let me know.

Hello Stodgord,

Final adjustments underway. Project subject to Canada Kyoto protocol
assistance fund approval. Efforts are made to find DR fabricating company
to build tower components. Turbine suitable for tropical climate. For
hurricane protection, several features are introduced including fast
"swing down" to ground level without cranes, equipment...one man can
bring the turbine down in about 20 minutes.

Thanks for your interest, a lot of people have PM me their contact info
for receiving final figures regarding pricing, installation cost etc.

Georgios.

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
Wind Turbine maintenance.

Castellamonte said:
I am also very interested in alternative energy (wind & solar). I researched quite a bit on the wind generators but decided against them. From what I can determine, the maintenance associated with wind generators is relatively high. Further, the speciality of understanding how to maintain one to peak efficiency is hard to come by.

So while I would love to have wind generators on my finca (small 165 tarea), I can't get past the issue of maintenance. Does anyone else have any notion on this?

Solar, on the other hand, requires very little maintenance. Who on the island is the best with solar?

Hello Castellamonte,

You are right. So far all available wind turbine systems have rigit towers
80 feet high or more. Rigit towers can result in;
1. Hard to reach nacelle for inspection, lubrication and repairs.
2. Crane service too expensive. Sometimes, turbine siting does not allow
crane access(small dirt road, trees, steep hill etc).
3. No protection against hurricanes. The furling feature will only work to
avoid overspinning which can cause overheating, main bearing failure etc.
In case of hurricanes your investment is simply "blowned away".
4. Guy wires rust or brake and occupy a wide area.

The "swing down" feature I designed solves all the above problems making
the maintenance simple and less, much less easier to perform with cost
kept to a minimun. Maintenance is part of any machine, can not be avoided
but can be less complicated if the design has addressed it correctly.
Please read previous post for more info on the "swing down" feature.

Solar panels work only during the day and cost a lot. Some solar panel users
have showed great interest in my wind turbine. A hybrid system is worth
more than only solar.

Regards,
Georgios.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Wind power demonstration?

georgios said:
Hello Castellamonte,

You are right. So far all available wind turbine systems have rigit towers
80 feet high or more. Rigit towers can result in;
1. Hard to reach nacelle for inspection, lubrication and repairs.
2. Crane service too expensive. Sometimes, turbine siting does not allow
crane access(small dirt road, trees, steep hill etc).
3. No protection against hurricanes. The furling feature will only work to
avoid overspinning which can cause overheating, main bearing failure etc.
In case of hurricanes your investment is simply "blowned away".
4. Guy wires rust or brake and occupy a wide area.

The "swing down" feature I designed solves all the above problems making
the maintenance simple and less, much less easier to perform with cost
kept to a minimun. Maintenance is part of any machine, can not be avoided
but can be less complicated if the design has addressed it correctly.
Please read previous post for more info on the "swing down" feature.

Solar panels work only during the day and cost a lot. Some solar panel users
have showed great interest in my wind turbine. A hybrid system is worth
more than only solar.

Regards,
Georgios.
Hi! Very interesting posts... When are you going to have a demonstration in Puerto Plata. A lot of people are very interested in your wind-power machines. Canadian Bob.

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
Wind turbine demo.

canadian bob said:
Hi! Very interesting posts... When are you going to have a demonstration in Puerto Plata. A lot of people are very interested in your wind-power machines. Canadian Bob.

Hello Canadian Bob,

Just came back from DR late Saturday night, Mar 26, 2005. A few hundred
potential clients have contacted me for info and pricing of this equipment.
I am hoping to install the first one in approx 3 months. Final location will
be the Sosua-Cabarete area. The website is under construction for all
info and ordering forms. This website will be advertized on DR1 when
completed. Thanks for your interest in this project.
Regards,
Georgios.

Miamimike

Jan 16, 2005
Castellamonte said:

I have several neighbors here in Miami, Florida using Solar and they LOVE their set-ups. Low maintenece and prices have really came down in the last few years. Miami Sun and climate is almost same as the DR. I have seen many Solar set-ups go for sale on eBay.com

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
solar panel for power.

Miamimike said:
I have several neighbors here in Miami, Florida using Solar and they LOVE their set-ups. Low maintenece and prices have really came down in the last few years. Miami Sun and climate is almost same as the DR. I have seen many Solar set-ups go for sale on eBay.com

Hi Miamimike,

Heavy cloud cover is a common phenomenon in the DR which limits solar
power production by 50%. Solar panels have zero production at night.
Pricewise, a 32" x 65" is rated at 165 watts but cost $US600 approx not
including glass framework, misc wiring and installation.

A major advandage Florida residents have over DR is a 55% refund by
the American Federal Government towards any purchase of renewable
energy equipment which results in substantial savings. The lifetime of
solar panels don't come even close to a wind turbine life(20 years or
more). Finally, a few solar panels could compliment the turbine during
low wind days.

Wind turbines are equipped with permanent magnet alternators able
to produce power at wind speeds as low as 5 mph, day or night. The
value is there when a typical turbine will pay for it self in approx 7 years.

As for solar panels for sale at eBay, I would have them tested before any
ordering is done...who knows where these panels are coming from. Main
concern about them is their remaining lifetime, if any. Be aware.

Nice talking to you,
Georgios.

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
Water windmill?

heldengebroed said:
For those who can read french. This is a link to a producer of a bizar type of wind turbine

http://users.swing.be/eco-turbines/

Greetings

Johan
Hola,

This is a funny looking turbine based on the Savonius style. It should
produce lots of torgue, good for water pumping only. A lot of similar
designs appeared on the internet but with little success...
Georgios.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
According to an article i've read in thenewspapers it produces more energy than a conventional one

Greetings

Johan

Geert

Jan 28, 2005
Swift Turbine

shadInToronto said:
I was in London last May and saw a similar article on home-sized wind turbines being used in Scotland. They generate enough energy for a small family's needs. I wish I kept the information. I am very interested in alternate renewable energy sources.

Here is some info on the Swift Turbine you refered to.
Some pictures available on their website.
I will try to get some idea of pricing next week.

http://www.renewabledevices.com/swift/index.htm

Universal rooftop Wind Energy System.
Embedded renewable electrical energy
Renewable heating system which augments existing hot water system
20 year product life with low maintenance
Rated power output: 1.5 kW
Annual Power Supplied: 4200 kWh
Design enables use of turbine in turbulent air flows
Silent mast mounting technology eliminates unwanted vibration to building

Cheers, Geert

reconciled

May 26, 2005
I can not figure how to work this forum. Georgio, I am developing a project in the mountains of constanza. Screw eden norte. I have purchased 700 tareas and want to develop my own system of wind/diesel power. I want to build cabins and sell lots for others to build and sell power. I want to produce it all off grid. I would like to plan a system of adding about 8 cabins a year. I have a masterplan of 77 lots. I do not want to by something huge now but maybe later. Help me with a growth plan of power. Any thoughts?

Franklin

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Oh well

Interesting article in Listin Diario today on wing power generation;

http://www.listindiario.com.do/cuerpos/dinero/din1.htm

It is interesting to note that all the studies have been done, areas have been laid out and the only thing holding things up, for a number of years, is the passage of the necessary bills through the government. It is also interesting to note that the Energy Law (125-01) states that no more than 20% of the electricity produced can be wind generated.

Another law set up to line the pockets of the already rich at the expense of the Dominicans and the Dominican Republic. At the expense of cleaner air and cheaper electricity do you envision changes being made? ;) ;) ;)

Jos?45

Jun 1, 2005
Rick Snyder said:
Interesting article in Listin Diario today on wing power generation;

http://www.listindiario.com.do/cuerpos/dinero/din1.htm

It is interesting to note that all the studies have been done, areas have been laid out and the only thing holding things up, for a number of years, is the passage of the necessary bills through the government. It is also interesting to note that the Energy Law (125-01) states that no more than 20% of the electricity produced can be wind generated.

Another law set up to line the pockets of the already rich at the expense of the Dominicans and the Dominican Republic. At the expense of cleaner air and cheaper electricity do you envision changes being made? ;) ;) ;)

DR has large wind-power potential
Apparently large-scale wind generation is just around the corner. Research has indicated that there is a vast potential of this "free" energy in three percent of the Dominican Republic. The potential generation is estimated at 10,000 megawatts, five times the present local demand. The BHD Group and the Spanish consortium GAMESA are promoting the Guanillo Energy Park, which is said to be able to contribute 90 megawatts of power to the national network. The project is supposed to use 129 wind turbines.
In the Superintendent of Electricity's office there are permit requests for projects that total 700 megawatts of energy. Ironically, however, the General Electricity Law (125-01) only allows for 20% of the nation's energy to come from wind generation. Currently at least five companies have received provisional concessions from the SIE. Ortega Zeller has a permit to study the area around Imbert, Puerto Plata; Elite Decor to study the winds around Lake Enriquillo, Barahona; International Eolic Generation will look at La Isabela in Puerto Plata; Poseidon Renewable Energy will study Puerto Plata and the BHD-Gamesa group will study Guanillo in Monte Cristi province.
This last group is currently the most advanced in its development. They have created the Eolic Park of the Caribbean (PECASA) with an initial investment of US$15 million. Of this sum, 29% belongs to the BHD Group, 57% belongs to the Gamesa consortium and the remaining 14 % to private Dominican investors. The first step of the project is expected to cost US$40 million. Approval from the Ministry of the Environment, the Civil Aviation Department and the Military Map Service have been received and the Superintendent of Electricity has approved the plans for the connection to the high tension line that runs from Navarrete to Monte Cristi by means of a 12 kilometer transmission line.
However, the largest hurdle that the project faces is the lack of legislation that promotes the development of alternate, renewable energy sources. The debate on the incentives needed to spearhead this type of energy has been in the Congress for six years. The director of the National Energy Commission's Alternate Energy department, Doroteo Rodriguez told Listin Diario reporters that the legislation has "many enemies", principally the current power generators, since eolic generation is more than 25% cheaper that current costs for fossil fuel generation.
For a DR1 discussion on eolic energy

Jos?45

Jun 1, 2005
Dolores said:
Interesting observations on eolic energy. See http://grupomillenium.blogspot.com/

The author can be contacted by writing to Jose Antonio Vanderhorst at vanderhorstsr@gmail.com

He wants to see eolic energy a possibility for others than the big big companies that would install large parks.

Please contact me with javs@ieee.org instead, which is my permanent email address.

I am the organic seed of Grupo Millennium Hispaniola, which pretends to promote Dominicana and Haiti to become developed countries in this millennia. Most of the emphasis in the blog is on reliable electricity, which is the research that I am working on for quite some time. I firmly believe it is possible by differentiating electric service.

Demand Response and Energy Efficiency technologies with retail liberalization will eventually lead to replacing the regulator and the distributor as intermediaries. Customers in Dominican Republic can freely purchase individual solutions to supply security. By letting everyone by himself the country has created enourmous ineficiencies. I believe that the grid can serve "backwards" to integrate renewable energy investments. My latest presentation in Atlanta, Georgia, "Dominican Republic Electricity Risk: A Customer Orientation", can be download from the GMH blog.

Dolores has sugessted you to look at the three part "Small Is Beautiful" comments, in which I advocate for distributed wind development, instead of centralized solutions. Centralized solutions are second wave thinking; distributed resources are essential in the third wave, where electricity can be differentiated to enhance local reliability needs.

Last night I picked up some of the information of the Forum and placed it on the blog. I liked the comment on 100% reliable. That is part of my research findings. By thinking 99% and 100% we miss the essence of differentiation. Instead we should look a 0% and 1%. By doing so, we see that some customers want 2%, 1%, 0.5%, 0.1%, 0.05%, 0.01% or whichever one requires and is willing to pay for. Businesses with high interruption costs should pay for the kind of reliability that they want. Then, poor customers that have other priorities might be able to afford 3% reliability.

Anyone which feels can contribute to the aims of GMH is invited to become a member of GMH. Please email me to sent you an invitation.

Jos?45

Jos?45

Jun 1, 2005
georgios said:
Hi Richard,

I know the Playa grande area well. I play golf there everytime I visit the DR.
The area has a wind class 4, which is a "good" wind sourse.
A very important factor is inspecting your "wind site". Visit:

www.windpower.dk/core.htm

click turbine sitting. Read all pages. This editorial will help you to decide
if a wind turbine is SUITABLE for your location.

Using multiple smaller turbines results in:
1. More wear & tear
2. More towers
3. More wires, transfer switches & misc connections.
4. More noise. Small rotors spin faster=increased fluttering!
5. Higher cost for overall kw production.
6. Aesthetically, your home will look like...well you know.
For small turbines "bergey" is the best. I located a few authorized
distributors in Santiago, DR. Go to www.bergey.com, click world distribution
and zoom into DR.
I suggest buying only the turbine. Given your elevation at 700 feet,
you can install a pivoting tubular metal tower approx 30 feet high. This tower
can be custom made locally having the "hinged" point 10 feet above
ground. Fix a counter weight at the bottom for easier erection. The reasons for this type of tower are:
1. Protect the turbine from hurricanes.
2. Easier inspection of components, lubrication and general maintenance.
3. Bring turbine to the ground when travelling abroad.
4. Replace rusting support wires.

My turbine design is based on large blades with slow rotation but high
torque. This design is less noisy, gives longer bearing life, is hurricane
proof and produces power even under a light breeze. Permanent magnet
generator is used with special design for low inertia-high efficiency.

Due to patent procedure, more info is not yet available, sorry.
Basically, three(3) models are tested:
a. 1kw for battery charging.
b. 10kw for stand alone.
c. 100kw for resorts.

Investing in windpower can be confusing and costly. Look at all products
out there before deciding how to go about it...Georgios.

Hi Richard, and Georgios,

You are both right. It all depends on what reliability the customer needs, what he is willing to pay, and what solutions are available. From my previous 99% - 100% comment, it should be obvious that some customers are happy with 1% reliability shortage. Those that require better reliability than is available from what existing solutions can offer, have to use redundancy to have smaller reliability shortages. That is why off system capacity becomes expensive. Power industry interconnection is the solution.

That is why the vertically integrated power industry was the most important technology of the 20th century. Deregulation of wholesale markets without deregulation of retail markets has been found to be the flaw the electric power industry is facing. The result: an unstable business system that is unable to resist shocks. Demand Response is the key to a robust and efficient solution, which was not possible in the second wave. As transactions costs become insignificant in the third wave, the vertically integrated power industry becomes inefficient, with respect to a fully functioning deregulated electricity market.