Words, phrases and expressions of the week- January 27, 2018

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Back to chichiguas: another name for kite is culebrina.

Cuantía sounds like some kind of bug... or food, even.

Rosetas de maíz is what I prefer, but I hear palomitas most often.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Back to chichiguas: another name for kite is culebrina.

Cuantía sounds like some kind of bug... or food, even.

Rosetas de maíz is what I prefer, but I hear palomitas most often.

Interesante.

I am not sure if I have heard culebrina. It is yet another regionalism. 

Cuantía to me sounds like cantidad but un estilo más elevado.Definitely not food to me. I can’t say I hear it often but I am familiar with the word.

Rosetas de maíz yes, I have heard of it but I don’t use it. Palomitas de maíz is what I always say.

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I've heard those names too, but not in Argentina. Microbus or micro, nicknamed "micro asesinos" - but can't remember which country. In Venezuela there is also "por puesto".

Another word for popcorn is cocalecas.

Micro and colectivo are very Southern Cone. The usage is typical of the region. Micro asesino probably refers to the lack of safety associated with that type of bus because of the driver I guess.

Do you remember the chiva buses in Panama? The colourful city bus with absolutely crazy maniac drivers? This is what I am thinking. I say anyone who takes those buses in Panama is crazy but they are cheaper and get you from point a to b. Thanks to the metro now which gives people a little more options for .35 cents a ride and your safety no chiva for me.

-MP.

Sep 4, 2012
Micro and colectivo are very Southern Cone. The usage is typical of the region. Micro asesino probably refers to the lack of safety associated with that type of bus because of the driver I guess.

Do you remember the chiva buses in Panama? The colourful city bus with absolutely crazy maniac drivers? This is what I am thinking. I say anyone who takes those buses in Panama is crazy but they are cheaper and get you from point a to b. Thanks to the metro now which gives people a little more options for .35 cents a ride and your safety no chiva for me.

-MP.

The best part of the Chivas is that one can actually rent one for hours or the entire night. They've managed to install excellent music systems on them so the party moves on wheels with blasting music and drinks -- all in the Chivas.

Best parties ever -- Chuleta!!

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
The best part of the Chivas is that one can actually rent one for hours or the entire night. They've managed to install excellent music systems on them so the party moves on wheels with blasting music and drinks -- all in the Chivas.

Best parties ever -- Chuleta!!

Yes, that is different. Party time. 

However, as a regular mode of transportation están locos. So far the Panamanian metro system has proven to be safe. I look forward to when they have more lines up and running.

-MP.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
In South America prominently the term to describe a Pen is Pluma, I've found out the Dominicans have Boligrapho and Lapicero?