Work from Home questions

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Shalena,

I'm in La Cienega, about 10 minutes north of 27 down or is it up in the Campo...;) If that is close to you let me and I will come over there to set it up and show you all that you need to know...I'll PM my new home number and cell to you..

Anthony

OK.
I'm sorry but most of what you all are saying is going over my head as I know how to use the computer but setting it up is another issue. I don't even know what bandwidth is! LOL. I have Claro Internet and home phone now except my Internet is finicky at times but overall it has been good.

So can I get another Claro internet just for the home office? And I ask for 2mbps? Don't know what that is either so may have to treat one of you guys to lunch in Santiago if you'll come with me so I know what to ask for :nervous:

Also, with the phone, not sure if I will have a company issued phone yet or not, but if not, maybe just Skype or Vonage? I have used MagicJack before with horrible results. I have tried Skype but can't seem to get it right, again...may just need some tutoring, I'm sure I'm just doing it wrong.
Thanks for the info.

As far as the work from home positions go I have been using mostly indeed.com. I also posted my resume there so I get alot of calls from employers. Many insurance companies use Nurse Case Managers, it has been hard for me because I have only clinical experience, no real Case Management experience so getting past the first chopping block from HR is usually the problem. I have never had a problem getting a job if my application ever reaches the manager, its the getting to the manager that is the hard part. HR has key words to look for in the application process and only a third of the applications put in actually get to the manager.

Also, Indeed.com's jobs are reputable.

SHALENA

P.S.
This is all looking forward also because I haven't been given the interview yet, have been selected to take the testing that is required before the interview but I am determined so I want to set this home office up now because I am not giving up and this looks promising. I was given the other job out of a little over 300 applicants so I know its just a matter of time for me.
Rarely have I been selected to take the testing, only once before, for the job I was offered (which was the best wfh job EVER!) but turned it down when they said I couldn't do it from DR.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I dont want to interupt the train of thought here, but another idea might be "Organ Harvesting".. Apparently its big in China. All you would need is a cooler, ice, and customer.. and willing folk from the campos. its the future.

Apr 7, 2014
Hey. If you now someone that is good at writing in English have them contact me. I have more writing work than I can handle. It doesnt pay all that much, but you can get up over $40K+ pesos part time if you write well and relatively quickly. I know a few people who are making a living with writing here in the DR. You don't need a fast internet connection and it is less stressful than taking customer service calls or doing sales.

The only thing is that the subject matter can be really boring - like HVAC repair or staffing. But, for those who can manage to bang out 1000 words per hour of good quality work, $2000 or more U.S. per month part time is definitely possible. Right now I would be willing to pay $10 per hour for 750 words of quality work. I have found the good writers are slow, and everyone else are not good writers. I somehow manage to combine being pretty good and pretty fast. I just sit back with my Windows 7 voice-to-text and talk it out. Then I edit it. I can get up to 1200-1300 words per hour that way. I could go faster but the software is not very accurate. But, it saves my hands and wrists a lot of trouble.

What!! How can you not be enthused about HVAC repairs? Aw man, you are the odd mAn out. Refrigeration is one of my interests. What are you writing, technical service manuals?

Sent from the Federation Starship Pastrami.

Apr 7, 2014
I am contemplating applying for a few work from home positions and I have a few questions.
The positions are work from home in the US. Would they be able to tell that I'm in DR if I still have a US number? How can I get a US number besides Magic Jack, I bought 2 of those things and they're crap.

From what I get from the job description its all (or mostly) outbound calls so I don't have to worry about incoming.

Anyone work from home? Can you give me a little info, help, I'm not sure how to handle it. Of course, I haven't even applied yet so I may not even get a job but just in case by the grace of God I do....I want to be prepared to have what I need to do it.

Thanks,
SHALENA

Without reading 13 pages I know Tmobile, Sprint and.Verizon offer.cell phones.with international service so outgoing calls will have a US number...or even a 800 number. Verizon.might be your best bet since Claro is a major.provider.in DR.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm surprised to hear you had trouble with MagicJack Shalena. I've had one for years, and it works great for me in DR, even with the Claro stick. I did have to try several locations in my house to find the best place for 4-5 bars. With a regular connection it should be better. My daughter used one in her home for a few years - directly connected to her desktop to a phone base and used the portable phones all over her home.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Without reading 13 pages I know Tmobile, Sprint and.Verizon offer.cell phones.with international service so outgoing calls will have a US number...or even a 800 number. Verizon.might be your best bet since Claro is a major.provider.in DR.

I think the Claro/ Verizon relationship is Kaput....

Sr Slim sold whichever half of the deal

does the Starship receive incoming messages?
what fuel are running on up there??

Apr 7, 2014
Our fusion reactors operate on Sunny Delight.

I read the whole thing. Got a few ideas or whatever. Have you thought about buying the PII, HIPAA equipment yourself and then just offering a free-lance consulting service to the insurance companies or hospital corporations. Basically it is just software and all software is for sale. Take the lead, start your own business and sell them your services. You would be a 1099 self employed contractor in any event but at least you re in front of the issue. And you grease the wheels by offering your quality services for a slight discount of what they had planned on paying someone to do this service for the company. Thats the way the Chinese do it. If they were going to pay you $78K for the job at ONE company you make them a deal so sweet they cant refuse easily. Offer to do the job annual for $60-66K. Then you can offer the same services to another company for less ~$48K. All of this gives you a high quality of living in the country AND someone will bite because the cost savings are too good to pass up. You are US educated, US trained, US experienced. Now if you own the safeguarding and proprietary software they use then you can hit the ground running as soon as you fill and fax the paperwork and give them your email. Most people had to start their own business and some of them had to invent a business model when they couldnt work for other people or didnt want to.

J

JulianPrada

Hey. If you now someone that is good at writing in English have them contact me. I have more writing work than I can handle. It doesnt pay all that much, but you can get up over $40K+ pesos part time if you write well and relatively quickly. I know a few people who are making a living with writing here in the DR. You don't need a fast internet connection and it is less stressful than taking customer service calls or doing sales.

The only thing is that the subject matter can be really boring - like HVAC repair or staffing. But, for those who can manage to bang out 1000 words per hour of good quality work, $2000 or more U.S. per month part time is definitely possible. Right now I would be willing to pay $10 per hour for 750 words of quality work. I have found the good writers are slow, and everyone else are not good writers. I somehow manage to combine being pretty good and pretty fast. I just sit back with my Windows 7 voice-to-text and talk it out. Then I edit it. I can get up to 1200-1300 words per hour that way. I could go faster but the software is not very accurate. But, it saves my hands and wrists a lot of trouble.

Hey, first time EVER writing on the forum, been reading Dr1 for years! Needed to answer this post. Really could use the money and since I write and speak English well decided to give it a crack! I'm pretty sure that I can manage to pump out 1200 words per hr. If the subject matter is boring, just thinking of the ten bucks per hour is enough enticement to get it done!!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Just giving everyone an update.
Passed some online tests where I was given information on a patient on one screen and then timed and asked questions to see if I could go back and forth between screens andwering questions I guess.

Then another test where I was given a fake phone call and purposely asked questions by a fake patient about medical issues that I am not overly familiar with but I had a system to look it up on, also timed.

Then got past an hour long interview with the Manager.

Got word yesterday and given an Interview next week with the National Nurse Manager of the Division I applied for.

Thanks for all of your advice and prayers....here's to hope for working from home!

SHALENA

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Just giving everyone an update.
Passed some online tests where I was given information on a patient on one screen and then timed and asked questions to see if I could go back and forth between screens andwering questions I guess.

Then another test where I was given a fake phone call and purposely asked questions by a fake patient about medical issues that I am not overly familiar with but I had a system to look it up on, also timed.

Then got past an hour long interview with the Manager.

Got word yesterday and given an Interview next week with the National Nurse Manager of the Division I applied for.

Thanks for all of your advice and prayers....here's to hope for working from home!

SHALENA

Cool

They don't have a problem with you being in the DR? I've found several companies that hire Telecommute Case Managers, but most say you have to reside in the US.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
NO, everything will work out. Shalena will definitely be working from home very soon....While some think that this type of profession (Case Manager) can't be done outside of the USA, yes it can.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Cool

They don't have a problem with you being in the DR? I've found several companies that hire Telecommute Case Managers, but most say you have to reside in the US.

Keep looking...they are hard to find but out there.

And some might say that and not really mean it, I applied to one that said you had to live within reasonable commuting distance from a head office and come to find out I didn't (they went by my NYC address, not one office in NYC/NJ ) and they said "What the heck" and interviewed me anyway....said meetings are only like twice a year anyway and I could Skype! But the title was Nurse Case Manager LD and I thought it meant Labor&Delivery when I applied when actually it meant LEAD....they wanted a Lead Case Manager for the Elderly transitioning from hospital to nursing facility to home and I had no experience in Gerontology nor any of the major medical issues of this population (I mean I know the basics but...) so no go with that one d/t a comprehension error of the job on my part.

So don't always go by the job description, its the Manager that makes that decision is my point.

SHALENA