Worm Composting

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
OK I get the idea. Yes, worm composting is a form of composting. I understand vermiculture and vermicomposting.
I just wanted to clarify the difference between getting a pile to heat up as opposed to getting a pile to be eaten up. Many readers may not know the difference, including my wife who read the post and asked me many questions because the post confused her.
Both ways will basically give the same product, except for the fact that worm capsules are better for granulated fertilizer, and there is also little baby worms in the capsules.
I am not an expert in this field but I have been around farms most of my adult life. I have both methods implemented on my farm right now.
Maybe I should do a blog on composting? I am in the process of building a new heap.
I had to laugh when someone postedsomething along the lines of real men don't write blogs......

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Is this worm thread still going? I am new to the DR and need worms for my grass and garden - can anyone help? I live near sosua.

thanks

Grandma Jen,

Just pay some a kid 100 pesos to bring you a can full of live worms. They are easily found in wet areas such as stream, and standing ponds. Don't be scare, but the worms down there are long, unlike the red wigglers (composting worms) or the nightcrawlers. I am surprise you don't have worms in your garden, they usually come out when it rains, to mate. Also, it will help if you add kitchen scraps and coffee ground to your soil. "If you build it, they will come"

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Buenos Guys is time it bring this thread back
I have time ti spare and would love to take pictures of this project.
I was recently donated a truck load of Acerin(sawdust) and it has been siting in front of my house for a while now.
Today I look up the word gardening on DR1 and this thread pop up. so let me ask all those expert for help...If it works Ill take to a schools project to Ranchito so the kids their have something cool to learn.
e0opq1.jpg

Last edited:

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
I want to use the sawdust as food for the worms is that good or bad?
if I can I'll like to add Cal to the mix or Gypsum(yeso)
Water and all the kitchen waste my house can produce.
I cna build a container with some drain out of cinder blocks...
all I need i sugestions.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Norma
I thought that egg shells where for the noise it makes to keep ants aways.
So what would I add to my compost pile to me a good food supply for the lombrises.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Norma
I thought that egg shells where for the noise it makes to keep ants aways.
So what would I add to my compost pile to me a good food supply for the lombrises.

If I were you I would not give sawdust to the worm. Sawdust is very acidic and will sour the bedding. Also Sawdust will compact and not let air in. Your worm will suffocate. Even in a compost pile sawdust is a large amount is not good. It will simply cake and nothing will happen.

I have been vermicomposting and composting for a couple of years now. On one occasion the bedding went sour (do to overfeeding them), killing the worms. I think I have learned from my mistakes now. The casting are excellent for transplanting and starting new seedlings.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
thanks,
I was suggested to actually make a compost pile fro 4 weeks and add some cal apagado to neutralize the acid for m sawdust, and kept turnign every other days nad only put in to the worm bin if the compost is semi started. is this advise okey?

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
thanks,
I was suggested to actually make a compost pile fro 4 weeks and add some cal apagado to neutralize the acid for m sawdust, and kept turnign every other days nad only put in to the worm bin if the compost is semi started. is this advise okey?

First thing, saw dust takes a long time to compost, and once it is composted, the PH will be neutral. 4 weeks maybe enough but it will need a lot of hands on attention. Once it is composted, use the worms to cure the compost. This means, the pile is not hot anymore, and it is dark and moist.

Another thing, if you pile is contained, add the worms to it instead of adding the pile to the worms, but make sure the worm has somewhere to escape, in case the sawdust is still unfavorable for them. I would suggest lining the base of the pile with wet newspapers and rotting materials. Eventually the worm will move into the pile.

Finally, Composting is not a chore, is an art. If you want a master piece, you need to put in lot of work.

kiai

Jun 1, 2007
Composting/Vermiculture/Organic Farming Co-op/Eco/Enviro/sustainable housing

There are few in anything in this world better than worm castings for organic fertilizer for your vegetable and flower gardens.I am from Canada and live on a small organic farm 2 acres and have been to DR many times and am moving there.I would like any connections available to purchase red wigglers in Dominican.Also interested in contacting people that are interested in starting a coop organic farm in San jose de ocoa or any area in the fertile valley.Anybody now anyone who has fertile land that is not being used.

I would like to find people interested in building a small self sustaining community with interests in eco, environmental, sustainable housing and agriculture that could potentially branch of into Eco Tourism.

I will put you in touch with my Dominican buddy in Santo Domingo. I hope to be back in DR in September

Comment, ideas, suggestions welcome. paul_modde@yahoo.ca

regards Paul

kiai

Jun 1, 2007
worms

thanks Dolores will do I rent a place 5 minutes to hotel jaragua cheers Paul