Worst Tsunami in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texasfool

*** Sock Puppet ***
Nov 9, 2004
Great report

pinar_quemado said:
Tsunami have occurred in the DR. The following story is from 1916 - no reports in this story on the effect that it had in the country - but it sunk a capital US warship in the Santo Domingo Harbor.

I would be interested if anyone had news of the effect that this Tsunami had on the country proper and its people.

There was also one that hit the North coast in 1946. I'll try and locate that report and post it.

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, Tsunami, August 29, 1916

War Vessels ?Memphis? and ?Castine?
According to crew member Alvion P Mosier, the loss of the Memphis was the greatest sea disaster in peacetime that the Navy had ever suffered. The Memphis was in Santo Domingo to support the Marines stationed there, and was the flagship to senior officer Admiral Pond. The ship?s commanding officer was Captain Edward J Beach. San Domingo harbor was a very exposed anchorage, open to the S and E. Memphis and the gunboat Castine were anchored in 55' of water. On this Tuesday morning, the Admiral and 2 aides went ashore and were met by the US Consul. At 1 pm the cruiser put ashore a recreation party, which went ? mile upstream in the Ozama River, where the Marines were billeted at Fort Ozama. Shortly after, one of the Memphis? dinghies capsized, and it was noticed when raising it the ship was rolling more than usual, but there was no wind. Rolling became very heavy, and the Captain looked seaward and saw to his horror an immense wave about 70' high approaching the harbor fast and obscuring the horizon. It was now 345 pm.

The swell became enormous, washing over her, and with her keel occasionally touching the seabed, waves now estimated at 40'. The large wave had slowed. It was carrying before it a huge area of sand and mud, and the nearer it approached, the more the swell increased. The launch sent to pick up the recreation party emerged from the Ozama, pitching then capsizing. The Castine could not lower boats to the sailors in the water, but threw life belts and other objects in the water to help the men. She had built up enough steam to reach deeper water and lower swells, but the Memphis had not. The Memphis continued to roll, as much as 70 degrees, with the crew to their astonishment witnessing green seas descending into the funnels. When the enormous wave reached her, she was beam on to the wave.

A trough appeared about 100 yards ahead of the wave, slowing as the crest of the wave built up, curving over the horrified onlookers, the peak about 50' above the bridge, itself 40' above the water line. It was in the form of 3 gigantic steps, each with a large plateau atop it, the whole now rushing shoreward at colossal speed. With a roar like an express train, the wave broke over the Memphis. She ended up onshore, after having been grounded several times on the razor-sharp coral bottom, once with the ship?s port side aground, the 18,000 ton ship thrown onto her beam ends. The ship was a total wreck, and 40 lives were lost. She was to wait on the rocks for 21 years for the arrival of the ship breakers.
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/phi/reports/tsunami.htm#aug2003G

Only one commnet: Memphis was a cruiser, not a "Capital ship"

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
So I guess that means it is possible in RD, but rare

Great informational posts.

pinar_quemado said:
The following is from the US Geological Service. Note particularly the last 2 sentences of perhaps 1,800 people killed in the DR due to a Tsunamis in 1946.

Eighty-eight tsunamis have been reported for the entire Caribbean Region in the past 500 years, including 14 tsunamis reported from Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands (Lander et al., submitted). 30 tsunamis caused significant damage including reports of as many as 9600 fatalities, which can be attributed to tsunamigenic earthquakes and tsunamis combined. 1922 deaths are confirmed as being specifically related to tsunamis during the last 150 years. A 1918 M 7.5 earthquake resulted in a tsunami that killed at least 116 people in northwestern Puerto Rico. A runup of about 6 m has been documented by mapping, and sedimentary evidence for at least two earlier tsunamis in the area has been cited. Eyewitness reports of the St. Croix tsunami give a maximum wave height of 7.6 m in Frederiksted. Immediately after the 1946 Hispaniola earthquake a tsunami struck northeastern Hispaniola, followed by a series of smaller tsunamis, probably caused by continuing landsliding. The initial tsunami was as much as 4-5 m high and propagated inland for several kilometers, drowning, according to some reports, nearly 1,800 people.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/of99-353/stateknowledge.html

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Mr_DR said:
Over 14,000 thousand dead after a Tsunami that covered much of Asia and part of Africa with 30+ ft waves...How safe is the DR from one of the phenomenum?
Some of the deepest water in the world exists off the north coast of the DR. Massive underwater landslides down such steep slopes in the very recent past have caused huge displacement of water creating "rogue waves" which have damaged the north coast and drowned more than 30 people.
These were real Tsunamis and without the protection by the barrier reefs, would have been much more dangerous. The destruction of parts of the reefs by a certain power plant to facilitate their operation opens a gap in this protection and should not have been permitted. These reefs can not be repaired. Even now many reefs are dying because of coastal pollution which has many side effects including ciguatera in reef and other fish.'Nuff said! Canadian Bob.

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:
Has anyone heard from AZB? He said he was in Pakistan last time he posted.

pakistan was no where near the tsunami. forget about it. spoke to agent there today. didn't even bring it up.

this is a stupid thread. people talking about tsunami's no can happen in dr.

well golly. friggin did in 1946. read thread i started in "living". 1800 killed in 1946. i first heard about this about 5 years back, talkin' to me wife's uncles and aunts....two of which died during hurricane jean jean the dancin' machine. after i heard the story, i cursed the design of my building....windows great for protection against thieves but impossible to exit during a hurricane or tsunami.

we need a tsunami watch. who cares if we never get it again? tourists will demand it.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Jasper, read the whole thread (you must not have the first time, judging by your comments). We talked about the 1916 and 1946 tsunami's in the DR.

The Environment Forum Moderator :glasses:

getonwithit

Mar 17, 2003
i'm sure there was/is some kind of memorial on the malecon for the memphis and all those killed.

i read about the ship a long time ago, but can't remember if i actually went down to see this memorial somewhere near one of the obelisks or if i just dreamt the whole thing up.

dontuseEltour

Feb 2, 2003
Seems the Morgan sea Gypsys new what to do there whole village ran away as soon as they saw the ocean get sucked out this was something they were told as kids by there fathers that had been handed down generation to generation.
Also a young girl from the UK had just finished a project at school on these killer waves, when she saw it happening she told her mother who with resort staff evacuated the beach no one from this resort is known to have died but many just a short distance away that looked on did. The young girl was 10 yrs old.
I found this intresting after reading another post here that said My dad always said if you can pick the fish up from the ocean run like hell .Well somthing like that. Seems we have the signal we need to help us just need to know the signs needed to implement it.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
i'm sure there was/is some kind of memorial on the malecon for the memphis and all those killed.

It was there a few years ago, in a spot called 'El Placer de Los Estudios' at the end of the Malec?n. Written on a stone slab on a short pedestal, almost hidden behind the concrete benches. The words suggest the memorial is for the locals who jumped into the sea to save the seamen:

Al ver la nave zozobrar perdida
un noble gesto les cost? la vida

Mirador

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
It CAN happen here

The Dominican Republic sits on the northern edge of the Caribbean plate.

http://geology.er.usgs.gov/eastern/plates.html

The earthquake of 2003 ocurred along the fault line on the northern edge and was 6.5 on the Richter scale.

http://www.redtailcanyon.com/items/17050.aspx

The US Geological Survey has this article that states this island is at HIGH risk for tsunamis:

http://woodshole.er.usgs.gov/project-pages/caribbean/background/background.html

Consider this: the southern edge of the Caribbean Plate is off the coast of Venezuela about 400 miles (644 km) from the south coast of the DR. The 9.0 Richter earthquake off Banda Aceh, Indonesia sent tsunamis that reached Phuket Thailand, 375 miles (600km) away in 75 MINUTES! A 9.0 quake off the coast of Venezuela would send similar devastaing waves right at the south coast of the DR. What would be the devastation along the Malec?n, the las Americas Highway, the airport, the south coast resorts, the population centers, or even the caba?as along 30 de Mayo near Haina? Dios m?o! Can you say dying in the saddle?

Here I'm quoting Pinar Quemado:
"Eighty-eight tsunamis have been reported for the entire Caribbean Region in the past 500 years, including 14 tsunamis reported from Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands (Lander et al., submitted). 30 tsunamis caused significant damage including reports of as many as 9600 fatalities, which can be attributed to tsunamigenic earthquakes and tsunamis combined."

I read somewhere that there have been 8 major tsunamis in the same area where the Banda Aceh quake occured in 208 years (I've forgotten the link). Let me make a leap here; Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands are to our east but sufficiently close, I think to draw some loose conclusions about our risk factor.

http://www.caribseek.com/Caribbean_Maps/map-of-caribbean.shtml

14 in 500 years in our region is a frequency of .028 per year; 8 in 208 years off Sumatra's west coast is a ratio of .038 per year, about a 35% greater frequency, admittedly for different time periods. It's probably to be expected that the quakes along the Pacific Ring of Fire are more frequent but IMHO it's not by that much. The question is what is the stress along the southern fault line of the Caribbean Plate and has it been released sufficiently over the years to prevent a catastrophic tsunami producing quake?

Volcanos are popularly referred to as active, dormant and extinct. The Hawaiians have a great expression for this attempt to classify their fire breathing mountans. "You never know."

Last edited:

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Domincans survive Tsunami

For those of you that asked about that Dominican woman and her son vacationing in Thailand,

That lady, her husband and her child was able to escape the Tsunami because when they went to the hotel they told her that there were no more vacancies and they then decided to go back to Bangkok.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Dominican biggest Tsunami.

Hippo goes down in History as Dominican's biggest Tsunami.

Status
Not open for further replies.