Would $1600 a month allow 1 person to live comfortably in the DR ?

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Really? I would not dream of charging my clients for things like that that are out of their control. Maybe that's what I've been doing wrong all these years!
I think the key point is that what's property of landlord, they should fix it, if it's the tenant's property, they're responsible? Would make sense to me...Obviously, if the tenant breaks property of the landlord due to careless handling, that cost would fall on the tenant...

Reactions: drstock and cavok

Father Guido

Jul 24, 2022
SDQ
Socializing is definitely an expense. Unless you want to sit in your room and watch t.v. Social engagements; lunch/dinner, birthdays etc are expensive Yes, girlfriends cost as well. If one wants to be an angry recluse 1600.00 a month should be OK.
google sarcasm.

Reactions: Big

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Really? I would not dream of charging my clients for things like that that are out of their control. Maybe that's what I've been doing wrong all these years!
Because you aren't thinking like a Dominican. Of course foreigners prefer to fix things properly on their own properties

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Where I live the Dominican landlord does only one thing.....he collects the rent. Dosent care about water electric wires plumbing painting outside mantainence........ collects the rent that's all.

Same here. I do care about all of that stuff, so I like things fixed as soon as they break.

I'm a jack of all trades so I have no problem doing my own electrical, plumbing, maintenance, mechanical, etc.

If anything major goes they will fix it, but my time is too valuable to be chasing them down for minor crap.

I also hate moving because I have too much stuff. I'm not the kind of person who can pack a bag and "move"

Reactions: Jan and XTraveller

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I read 'the rent' in many messages
As an owner, without a mortgage on your home, life is pretty good, I would say
I agree, but many here don't want to be tied down with a house. I bought for cash before I moved here and have no payments outside of utilities and insurances.

Even at that, I would hate to have to live on $1,600 US a month. That would suck big time here.

Reactions: Liberator and Big

Big

Apr 24, 2019
That would never occur to you as you "have worked hard in your younger years and invested" so you'd never rent...

Don't forget the obligatory "Big" $100 tip on top of those RD$200-250.. 🤣
there is treatment for low testosterone.

• Sad
Reactions: drstock

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I agree, but many here don't want to be tied down with a house. I bought for cash before I moved here and have no payments outside of utilities and insurances.

Even at that, I would hate to have to live on $1,600 US a month. That would suck big time here.
I am wondering if it is just a hypothesis to" comfortably live" on 1600 U.S. I really don't see how it is considered "living".

Reactions: windeguy

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Same here. I do care about all of that stuff, so I like things fixed as soon as they break.

I'm a jack of all trades so I have no problem doing my own electrical, plumbing, maintenance, mechanical, etc.

If anything major goes they will fix it, but my time is too valuable to be chasing them down for minor crap.

I also hate moving because I have too much stuff. I'm not the kind of person who can pack a bag and "move"
I can't just pack a bag either, but there are times I sure wish I could.
J.D. - Weren't you just opining how you wanted to live in a mobile van a week ago ?

Poppa was a rolling stone, wherever he laid his hat was his home....

Reactions: JD Jones

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Where I live the Dominican landlord does only one thing.....he collects the rent. Dosent care about water electric wires plumbing painting outside maintenance........ collects the rent that's all.
That's very interesting. I employ a gardener/handyman and we fix anything that doesn't belong to the client ASAP - the same day, if possible. I really must increase the rent I charge.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
That would never occur to you as you "have worked hard in your younger years and invested" so you'd never rent...

Don't forget the obligatory "Big" $100 tip on top of those RD$200-250.. 🤣
A fool and his money...

• Haha
Reactions: Kricke87

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I would think you can be a bit more discerning about your tenants than Dominican landlords who don't fix anything.
That is true. I sometimes find the place is "fully rented" for people I don't think will be good tenants, and I get almost all my clients as recommendations - no advertising of any sort.

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe

We bought our first apartment decades ago. If you compare those price developments to current rental prices... at the time our best decision ever.
But I can imagine that you want more flexibility and then renting (especially after a number of years) is a more expensive option.