Would DR be a good vacation spot for me? If not, where would be?

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
uh,oh,uh,oh

You appear to be just a little preoccupied with being black. And somewhat uncomfortable with being outside of the "traditional" vacation venues. But you want to " walk " on the wild side.
If this is really so maybe you would be better off visiting washington heights in the NYC area. Several million Dominicans with their culture. And you can always go back to the hotel when you feel pressure.

The only prejudice that I've witnessed in the D.R. is against presumption.
Relax. bring with you whatever personal culture you require and then meet the GIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSs. Good luck.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
duhtree said:
If this is really so maybe you would be better off visiting washington heights in the NYC area. Several million Dominicans with their culture. And you can always go back to the hotel when you feel pressure.
That is not a bad idea, take a weekend vacation in Washington Heights, get a local hotel and enjoy the culture.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
dnc1972 said:
Well Chris - out of respect for you as a person, thank you for your comment, we are all entitled to them. Unfortunately, you are even entitled to the snide ones! However, to be fair with those who aren't so factitious, I won't take you as an example of all others in the DR.

I just think it?s unfortunate that I am criticized for having a preference and a want!

Critizised? Oh man, where is your sense of humor? Knock that chip of your shoulder already. As I said clearly, "not to denigrate your wishes". You're entitled to them and entitled to go after them. But geez man, lighten up and see what you've asked for. And definitely buy and bring a sense of humor when you visit the DR. We laugh a lot here. And we're seldom politically or racially 'correct' here. And just in case you missed what I said, not everyone from African descent is dark skinned. Perhaps let go of some of your own pre-conceptions. Anyway, I don't believe their are 'areas' in the DR where you'll meet 'concentrations' of people from African descent. This is not the US where you get whole communities made up of African Americans. Despite the crazy racial descriptions and racial hatreds and racial pre-conceptions and pre-occupations that exist here, the races are fairly well integrated IMO (except for Haitians) in all but the top layer of society.

I see many black Americans visiting in Sosua. Many black people also come over from the Turks and Caicos Islands. Doing the same things that you're wanting to do. Mostly when I see some of these folks in the streets and recognise where they are from, from the accents or languages, it is noticable that they are mostly laughing, having a good time and enjoying themselves. That is the object of the excercise. The last one that I saw that was miserable, had a cap on with fake dreadlocks hanging out with an attitude that stuck out a mile... You owe me Something! Well, we don't and he looked miserable. (Hot under that cap with all the dreads as well).

To conclude this longer than intended post. Yes, you'll have a good time here if you leave your hang-ups at home.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Dominicans don't hate Black people, period.
Yes there may be some racial discrimination, but that is in every country around the world. In the Bahamas they are complaining about their "Haitian Problem" and most parts of Africa they are divided by Tribes. People are confusing the Dominican issues with Haiti with flat out Black racism.

dnc1972, come down to the DR and have a great time, you won't have problems if you are courteous and polite, the women will love you, stay away from tourist towns, hang with the locals, have a beer and learn spanish.