Wow! Effects of the Hard Rains in Santo Domingo

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Sad.
The amount of corruption, greed, stupidity, negligence, refusal to take responsibility for one's actions,
lack of respect for the fellow man along with the inability to plan or think past tomorrow is quite impressive.... i must say.
Seems since Leonel admin, no one ever learn but themselves. Sad

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
With the amount of rain that fell on such a short period of time, flooding is inevitable regardless of the drainage.

The other thing about "normal" Dominican rain is that it's heavy. Many Dominicans compare SD with places like NYC, Boston, etc and often claim a little bit of rain causes flooding in SD. Well, it doesn't truly rains in NYC, Boston, etc as it does in SD except in a handful of days during summer. Guess what happens when is rains like in SD? Even highways floods, that should give an idea.
Hardest rain I ever saw was in the state of Georgia and in the DR.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
For me it was in Suriname.
Many years ago, when I was high lead logging on the west coast of Vancouver Island It rained extremely hard, a deluge, for more than thirty days straight. One morning the sun came out and boss gave us the day off to enjoy. He said it was Sunshine Liberty. The closest weather station averages around 275 inches a year. Here in Jarabacoa we had a steady rain for hour but not enough to flood. Rivers were high but I think all the vegetation here helps absorb the water., plus everything flows down.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Now folks are reporting one of the overhead road on Ave. Kennedy is cracking:

F_VqksfXgAAOfGK

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
No one has mentioned the Metro, did it flood? I’m picturing the station at Centro de Los Heroes…..all that water flowing down Churchill/Jimenez Moya

Reactions: CristoRey

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Sad.
The amount of corruption, greed, stupidity, negligence, refusal to take responsibility for one's actions,
lack of respect for the fellow man along with the inability to plan or think past tomorrow is quite impressive.... i must say.

That pretty much sums up everything that I hate about DR, and pretty much everything that is wrong with the country.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I just got back from San Isidro. Both sides of the Autopista Las Americas was fine with no standing water to speak of. Same with Autopista San Isidro where I've seen it over 2 lanes before. I was really surprised.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Not really. Edenorte is constantly doing maintenance that never seems to help
I think it's somewhat euphemistic to call what they're doing "maintenance". The entire grid is in such a shoddy state of disrepair that they have no choice but to fix some known problems. Then you have the exploding transformers, fallen down power lines, and overloaded substations that are fixed on an emergency only basis.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I think it's somewhat euphemistic to call what they're doing "maintenance". The entire grid is in such a shoddy state of disrepair that they have no choice but to fix some known problems. Then you have the exploding transformers, fallen down power lines, and overloaded substations that are fixed on an emergency only basis.
Just so you know,, EDENorte does not have a copyright on exploding transformers. Here at 90V Boca Chica, it's happens 2 or 3 times a year that we can hear.

Reactions: windeguy and cavok