xoom caribe express warning

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I've only had good experiences with them too.
One has to wonder when this type of complaint comes from a 1st time poster.
<TABLE class=tborder id=post663781 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><TABLE cellSpacing=6 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>fperalta <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_onlinestatus -->
user_offline.gif
<!-- END TEMPLATE: postbit_onlinestatus --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_663781", true); </SCRIPT>
Bronze

</TD><TD width="100%"></TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap>Join Date: Aug 2008
<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_reputation -->
reputation_pos.gif
<!-- END TEMPLATE: postbit_reputation -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / user info --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_663781><!-- message, attachments, sig --><!-- icon and title -->
icon13.gif
My bad experience with zoom.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
Can you send money through Xoom from Canada. I see the website specifies that you have to send from a US bank account but can a credit card or paypal transfer originate outside the US?

Its about time there is some competition for WU.

prplemich

Dec 20, 2004
I just used Xoom this past Saturday, sent the money from my US bank account, got an email right away telling me the money was available. My friend went to pick it up yesterday & was told there was nothing for him. I also called Xoom back & told them I wanted my money back & they gave me the 5-10 business day story as well. So I gave them another chance when they said they will send a message to Caribe express to make sure the money is released. I haven't heard anything today, he's supposed to call me when he gets it. Keeping my fingers crossed!

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
xoom sent out of canada

Can you send money through Xoom from Canada. I see the website specifies that you have to send from a US bank account but can a credit card or paypal transfer originate outside the US?

i have sent a few times, the first was a bit of a hassle as they said the money was available but my husband would go and Caribe would say no. After a phone call to Xoom, they said go in one hour and it will be there..it was there, and ever since it is available within one hour and no problems and much cheaper than WU

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
mone on xoom out of canada

no have done it several times with nor problem, once on credit card and 3 times on pay pal

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
1st time sending a problem

I just used Xoom this past Saturday, sent the money from my US bank account, got an email right away telling me the money was available. My friend went to pick it up yesterday & was told there was nothing for him. I also called Xoom back & told them I wanted my money back & they gave me the 5-10 business day story as well. So I gave them another chance when they said they will send a message to Caribe express to make sure the money is released. I haven't heard anything today, he's supposed to call me when he gets it. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I had this problem the first time, but not after that intial time, so i hope it works out for you

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
I sent some cash with Xoom last year. It took five days for Xoom to release the cash for pickup. I request a refund which took another 10 days and I used Western Union. WU cost more but I really never had any problems sending money.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I sent some cash with Xoom last year. It took five days for Xoom to release the cash for pickup. I request a refund which took another 10 days and I used Western Union. WU cost more but I really never had any problems sending money.
Would you mind clarifying this please?
Did they release the money after 5 days, or did you get the money refunded after 10?

Feb 7, 2007
Let me shed some light on available - not available problem.

I have had my share of Xoom hassless in the past but I still think it's a good service.

Once the payment is approved on Xoom part, they make a file available for download by CaribEx. CaribEx download the files every so often. If there is a computer error and the file (or batch) does not downlaod correctly, CaribEx does not have the file and no money to release. But On Xoom site it appears as Available for pickup. Xoom has to send teh file or batch again to CaribEx for them to download. Once they download the file, somebody has to enter it (type) into CaribEx computer system and then send it to specific location.

Sometimes it happens that a money file is processed incorrectly at CaribEx headquerters in SD, and sent to a wrong location (e.g. instead of Puerto Plata to Monte Plata). The catch is that in POP they do not see the file because it's sitting in Monte Plata CaribEx'es computer. MP has to send it then to CaribEx in POP for them to appear. Only and ONLY in SD's headquerters they see all the files coming and received from Xoom. After they are processed the HQ and the destination (payout) location sees the file. No other CaribEx location besides HQ and destination location sees the payment file!!!
This is also true for national CaribEx transfers. So you always have to make sure the location of destination is specified correctly.

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
Would you mind clarifying this please?
Did they release the money after 5 days, or did you get the money refunded after 10?

Let me clarify. I used Xoom to send three different cash transactions in one week in June 2007. I needed to send money to a friend in Santo Domingo who needed cash immediately and the other two transactions were no emergencies. The two non emergency recipient?s funds were released in five days.
Since my friend who needed cash immediately did not receive the funds within 24 hours I contacted Xoom customer service and was told it would take Xoom about five business days to release the cash. I requested a refund immediately which was given to me in about 10 business days.
I used Xoom was in 2004 and I had no problems. In 2004 the cash was delivered by Xoom within 24 hours.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
send xoom in canada

i have sent several time from canada, no problems. make sure recipient has their cedula, and the confirmation number

thorky

Oct 23, 2004
xoom better than Western Union

I have used Xoom for three years now, and only one problem where the "money wasn't there". Was resolved immediately after a chat with a Xoom rep. I had a lot of problems with Western Union in the Dominican Republic, so switched to Xoom. Western Union employees steal the money, and then hope that you will give up and forget it. Xoom is better. You must remember that stealing is as normal to Dominicans as is breathing, so beware!!! I lived there for 7 years, and I speak from experience.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
You must remember that stealing is as normal to Dominicans as is breathing, so beware!!! I lived there for 7 years, and I speak from experience.

Wow I guess as a Dominican living / working / paying taxes (lots) here in The US I must be stealing something right now, as I'm also breathing.

cougar

Jan 27, 2009
i have been sending money to my sister with xoom for a year now it delievered right to her door . the secret is don't be cheap and use the cheapest option, use your pay pal account, one year not one problem and she has it within 24hrs

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Open an account in bank of america, send the debit card to the DR, deposit the desired amount of money you want to send in the account, and tell the contact in the DR to withdraw it in a Scotiabank ATM. You will get the best exchange rate and no charge or almost no charge per withdraw.

UmSulaiman

Apr 19, 2011
i have been sending money to my sister with xoom for a year now it delievered right to her door . the secret is don't be cheap and use the cheapest option, use your pay pal account, one year not one problem and she has it within 24hrs

I don't know why, but I just tried to use them and they wouldn't let me send money. They said that they couldn't authenticate my account. wtf? I'm ****ed!

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
"friday i send my sister in law 1k using xoom, to be picked up at caribe express. 1 hour later e-mail tells me money is ready for pick-up. saturday she goes to caribe express herrera office and is told no money is there for her, she waits 1 hour and then is told she has to wait 5 days. i call customer service who assure me the money is there."

I largely have had no problem with them sending through BHD however - on occasion as a precaucion they will hold a transaction. I send money and use both my B of A card and direct from the account. For an unknown reason it will get a hold for a period of time.

ALSO. I tried to send to my Peso account from B of A in the US. Did not go through because it was sent in dollars and they did not translate it correctly. Got all my money back...took about a week to have it reversed.

Wise to always be cautious of course.

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
I don't know why, but I just tried to use them and they wouldn't let me send money. They said that they couldn't authenticate my account. wtf? I'm ****ed!

Where are you located? I tried to set up an account for myself here in the DR and couldn't do it.. I had to do it from the states only.. and send it as if I was sending from the states. I love XOOM. I used to live 1 hour away from any ATM machine so I used to send myself money via Xoom and have it delivered to my door.. it was AWESOME!!! At times if I don't want to go out I'll do it too.. but usually I can easily go to an ATM now.

jaxter

Aug 24, 2012
Xoom is more inconsistant than Western Union. Seven years with WU no problems.Tried Xoom once and they lost the money. In this subject you get what you pay for.

Jax