Yet another rum question

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
beware ....not every bottle in the duty free is actually cheaper than what you can buy it for outside of duty free .I bought a bottle of "papa andres" recently at the duty free in santo domingo...and could have bought it in new York cheaper
I think "duty free " is becoming a con job

"Duty free" doesn't mean it's profit free.

Last edited:

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
buyer beware??? dont they have a saying about that somewhere???

Yes, hunny. It's Latin: Caveat Emptor. It means "buyer beware." (Am I the only person who took 2 years of Latin in high school and another one in college? Seems like....) It was the name Rhett Butler suggested to Scarlett O'Hara for the name of her post-war store in Atlanta: Caveat Emporium. It was Ashley Wilkes (poor, miscast Leslie Howard) who had to tell her. She thought it sounded sort of grand.

Last edited:

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Duty free

The only place I EVEN bother with duty-free is in Israel, bc you can get this I-kid-you-not amazing kosher pinot noir that is US$20 in the US at Ben Gurion for the equivalent of US$12 there. Sometimes in France, perfume and wine. But in the DR, duty-free is total idiocy. You go to one of the distributors in Sosua Abajo and you get a deal that is beyond any airport deal.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I cannot conceive of paying $2000 or even $100 for a bottle of booze.

Stick with Boone's Farm wine coolers mate, they are on sale @ Publix.
A good single malt can cost a few thousand smackers.
I am happy with a nice POM Blue with a San Pelligrino and I am on my way.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007

Learned the hard way.

Son came from college on summer vacation back in 2010.

Ask him if he would like to drink something with me. Took him to the liquor store.

He told me he only drinks single malt whiskeys and picked a bottle that cost $150.00 USD. Of course I bought it since I offered. He taught me how to drink whiskey. Until then, I only drank vodka..........................lol

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
Thanks for the replies. Neither seem to have generated much interest on the island. Last time I was in the DR, a couple fellows in the group bought their Extra Viejo at the A.I. for about $30USD a bottle. A couple guys bought theirs at the duty free for about $19USD a bottle. I had the taxi driver stop at some grocery store and I paid $9USD.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yes, hunny. It's Latin: Caveat Emptor. It means "buyer beware." (Am I the only person who took 2 years of Latin in high school and another one in college? Seems like....) It was the name Rhett Butler suggested to Scarlett O'Hara for the name of her post-war store in Atlanta: Caveat Emporium. It was Ashley Wilkes (poor, miscast Leslie Howard) who had to tell her. She thought it sounded sort of grand.

actually, i took 5 years of Latin. i had to be able to translate Caesar?s Gallic Wars, Romulus and Remus, etc. i remember next to nothing now, but it helps when i run into new words.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
beware ....not every bottle in the duty free is actually cheaper than what you can buy it for outside of duty free .I bought a bottle of "papa andres" recently at the duty free in santo domingo...and could have bought it in new York cheaper
I think "duty free " is becoming a con job

Always has been. Buy your coffee or rum at La Sirena and put it in your checked luggage and it will cost half of what the duty free shops charge. Duty free is for container loads. That is the only way you could come ahead.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
actually, i took 5 years of Latin. i had to be able to translate Caesar?s Gallic Wars, Romulus and Remus, etc. i remember next to nothing now, but it helps when i run into new words.

For me, it was Caesar, Cicero and Virgil!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i had few years of latin in HS and then at the uni. helped with learning spanish.

as far as free duty in DR, too expensive. but it is the only option of alcohol purchase for those who travel light and do not have checked luggage.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Learned the hard way.

Son came from college on summer vacation back in 2010.

Ask him if he would like to drink something with me. Took him to the liquor store.

He told me he only drinks single malt whiskeys and picked a bottle that cost $150.00 USD. Of course I bought it since I offered. He taught me how to drink whiskey. Until then, I only drank vodka..........................lol

"Teach your parents well" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVaqZajq-I

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Stick with Boone's Farm wine coolers mate, they are on sale @ Publix.
I am happy with a nice POM Blue with a San Pelligrino and I am on my way.

I sincerely hope this is an April Fools' Day post.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
"Kirk and Sweeney 12 Year Rum is crafted in the Dominica for a company from Sonoma California called 35 Maple Street, which is the spirits division of The Other Guys (TOG). TOG is wine company led by August Sebastiani, a member of one of California?s oldest wine families. The Sabastiani family has been involved in the Californian wine industry since August?s great-grandfather, Samuele Sebastiani, opened his family run winery over 100 years ago."

Dominica or La Republica Dominicana? And I do purely love that it's a California family (Family, as in Friends of Ours, if you know what I mean) that facilitates.