You Know That You Are Dominican When You Say....

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Evans

....but only here it seems.why would someone be offended by you saying that and what is it in spain que pasa ?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I don't think they would be offended, but if it is really just a Dominican phrase it might not be instantly understood by a non-Dominican, although it seems obvious to me. Maybe because it is very informal 'street' talk, and you wouldn't use it with your boss or your granny.

In Spain and other places "que pasa" is the equivalent.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
tranquillo jejejej. its sorta slang for whats up...how you doing. and you answer "tranquillo" which pretty much translates into "just chillin"

I dont even use this with my DomYork friend. Any time i say it he just doesnt say anything.

it is VERY slang and i am not sure if i would use it on an upper class dominican when in the country. My Argentianian friend really freaked out when i said that to him "why are you speaking this way to me???"

many boriquas in NYC are picking up on this phrase.

again...i'd only use it with people that i know well.

I've always thought the literal translation was "what the what" or basically "whats up" or how u doing".

I have never heard the hay put on the end tho. But you folks live there and know better than me ;-)

I kinda like que lo que. it is VERY effectionate. it usually acompanied by a hand shake or a hug or sometimes a pat on the butt.

EddyT644

Apr 18, 2008
My mother always says in the summer time (read with Spanish accent): "Quiero un esmuri de Donkun Dona" Translate: I wan't a smoothie from Dunkin Donuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.