Young Dominican American Starting Over! Wish me luck...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I looked at a lot of houses in Alma Rosa, SD Este, 16 years ago when I first moved here.
Not a "Status" neighborhood, VERY Important to "Dominicanos", but not to me, and great values.
I worked in la Plaza De La Salud, This Side, so it wasn't practical, Traffic wise.
Only one bridge back then, and no "Elevados" either.
I chose Arroyo Hondo, and have been happy here, just spent too much money!
Gives my "Dominicana", "Bragging Rights"....
"YO???...."Yo Vivo en ARROYO HONDO"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She's STILL a "Barrio Rat", but now, she's, "MY Barrio Rat", living in a better, "BARRIO"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I looked at a lot of houses in Alma Rosa, SD Este, 16 years ago when I first moved here.
Not a "Status" neighborhood, VERY Important to "Dominicanos", but not to me, and great values.
I worked in la Plaza De La Salud, This Side, so it wasn't practical, Traffic wise.
Only one bridge back then, and no "Elevados" either.
I chose Arroyo Hondo, and have been happy here, just spent too much money!
Gives my "Dominicana", "Bragging Rights"....
"YO???...."Yo Vivo en ARROYO HONDO"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She's STILL a "Barrio Rat", but now, she's, "MY Barrio Rat", living in a better, "BARRIO"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

As far as I can tell, it (Alma Rosa) used to be better during those times you were a neophyte to the DR. I know because I grew up between that place and San Carlos, before the "gente de bien" fled to Naco and other places while the sectors in question became swollen with chopos.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
Any person in dominican republic who does not fit the "jevito" look is a chopo or a low life...if you don't look or pretend to be european or american and if/or you don't speak a second language... you are a chopo... chopo would be anybody who is into urban music, or reggaeton, or dembow... gente de barrio. Having said that there are a lot of hard working, decent people of good moral values, who live in working class neighborhoods, who are profesionials, craftsmen, well spoken and with good manners...
and the same people who bitch about chopos..if they got money that changes the equation..

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
The same "jevitas" o chicas plasticas would jump at the chance to be with a chopo if that means a green card to US or Europe...or if they will live the lifestyle that a chopo con cuartos could give them...

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Any person in dominican republic who does not fit the "jevito" look is a chopo or a low life...if you don't look or pretend to be european or american and if/or you don't speak a second language... you are a chopo... chopo would be anybody who is into urban music, or reggaeton, or dembow... gente de barrio. Having said that there are a lot of hard working, decent people of good moral values, who live in working class neighborhoods, who are profesionials, craftsmen, well spoken and with good manners...
and the same people who bitch about chopos..if they got money that changes the equation..

Where would campesinos fit? Those are the ideal kind of people, for me at least, since I have paternal family still living on the campos of Valverde.

Last edited:

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Helllo,

I have some info that I hope can be helpful to you.

1) When it comes to babysitters and housekeppers wages, it depends on whether they sleep in or they come to work for a shift. But I would say it is between $6,000 DOP to $10,000 DOP

2) Activities? Yes there are activities for your children.

- Karate: There is a Karate school in Santiago right on Las Carreras. The name of said school is ****oryu. or they can go to El Palacio de Los Deportes

- Baseball: if there is a small Play de Pelota by where you plan to move chances are that they have a Liga de ni?os.

- Basketball: In santiago, the Basketball clubs like (Sameji, Cupes, CDP, La Plaza) have leagues for the younger ones that practice in their courts or at La arena del Cibao (Palacio de los Deportes). Or if they attend a private school most likely they have their team that plays in Los Intercolegiales.

- Dance is at the Centro de La Cultura, I have a friend who is part of the Ballet Contemporaneo de Stgo and also tteaches at El Centro de la Cultura.

- Gymnastics also at El Palacio de los Deportes next to el Estadio Cibao.

I dont know about the fees for those activities, but certainly know that they do exist. Also, most private schools in Santiago offer some of those activities at no extra cost or for an additional fee. I am moving back to Santiago with my little one after living in the U.S. for 10 years, 3 of those in Ft Lauderdale. And this is my last week here. If there is anything else that you would like to know maybe I can help. Good luck :)

SugarMorena,

Tell us how the move was. How is Santiago treating you and the kids?

Welcome home if you are here.