Zona Oriental, SD and negotiations

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There ARE places around, but as several have suggested you really need to literally visit neighborhoods to find them. For example... my suegra has lived in the same house on a main street in SD since the 60s, and it has become a very commercial place. Lots of noise and traffic - and the exhaust from the cars and trucks is awful. [she spends weeks at a time out at our house in Najayo Beach just so she can 'breathe'] Big house, 5 bedrooms, 2 baths, large rooms - and she's 89. The first time I went there in 1975 it was a quiet and rather empty area - massive empty field across the street that is now covered by a well-known commercial building. We put it up for sale about 18 months ago to get her out of there. Lots of commercial interest in it, but no sale yet. Recent events have us feeling positive about selling ....and my brother-in-law has started looking for a house for her to rent, and he found a really nice one right in his neighborhood with a nice yard [momma loves to be outdoors] for 12,000 pesos a month. There was a small sign outside. Bear in mind, he's Dominican, and I think if an American or Brit even found that house the price would probably double. Sad but true.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
prices for foreigners

What Alter said about the foreigner differential is true.. I went to look at a vacant apartment in my building.. i heard from a friend that a local realtor had it listed at 22000 pesos (610) but I assumed that with the intro from my neighbor below I could skip the agent's fee...Ah n0.. with the smell of the gringo blood the asking price went up to $900....(when I mentioned this to my neighbor who introduced us, she said, well, they are going to have to pay $1000 over at their new apartment!)...

Last edited:

cuas

May 29, 2006
I have nephews living in the parte oriental or zona oriental.
My mother's let' say broker lives in the zona oriental. He also rents and collects rent of my sister's property. Never a complaint.
A friend of mine -accountant/lawyer- (we went to college together) is also a broker or real estate agent. He lives and has his office in the zona oriental.
Any contact that you want please let me know.

GALK

Mar 12, 2006
DRNED,
taking into consideration what you mentioned up to now, I would focus on safety and the distance to your place of work, as there are no public transport systems like in the US or Europe you easy spend 2 hours on the road per day, from ZO to Churchill for example, besides safety.
There are nice living areas near Churchill, safety quite good, but not cheap and because of the short stay I don't think you will get a lot of discount.
Good luck,
GALK