Post trip depression?

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi mamgirl, I understand perfectly what you mean. Last time I was in DR, I never wanted to go back to Europe where, globally, life is kind of absurd... But my friends forced me to get onboard... I'll be back there for good in august... :)

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Hi:

You have Island fever. When you get home from work put on a little Salsa or even Jimmy Buffett, pour yourself a Cuba Libre' , close your eyes and dream of the next trip.

LTS

My bar bill for rum goes up after every trip to the D.R. LOL

panicmechanic

Apr 15, 2012
I have the same problem darlin! Mine lasts for at least a month but I just tell myself that it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all! Those old boys like Tennyson knew what they were talking about! Regards, Ragu

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
I'm still there: listening 24/7 bachata, planning the next trip, learning spanish, dreaming of be(a)ches. So I'm trying to turn the depression into some positive thoughts :)

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Hi:

You have Island fever. When you get home from work put on a little Salsa or even Jimmy Buffett, pour yourself a Cuba Libre' , close your eyes and dream of the next trip.

LTS

Exactly what I do when I get the blues missing my land...

DR2001

Jan 2, 2011
Sound advice from everyone...while I am sitting stuck in the house due to rain and low temperatures, I have spent the evening planning our October trip to the north coast and our March trip to Punta Cana. We have been traveling to the DR for 11 years and it actually gets harder and harder to leave.

mamgirl

Mar 25, 2012
Salsafan - I have taken a similar approach. I've downloaded some great music to listen to, as well as some stuff for learning spanish. It keeps my mind occupied. But the best part is that I have another trip planned in 10 days! Can't wait to go back, but am already dreading how I'll feel when I come home. I really think the best medicine is to plan the next trip. :)

Oct 2, 2011
Peravia, Bani
Got good news fo ya MONGIRL. I'm from DR and I've been in Boston for the last 5 years, 14 years prior to that after 4 years retired., And there is not a single day that I think about tha palm trees, It is so bad that I take depresion's pill, But like somone mention in this forum I have worked very hard and I going to go in a semi retirement at the end of this year, to spend 6 or 7 months in my house and "probably" the rest of the year in the states.

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
You must be so happy that you are returning shortly. Have a terrific time, and when you do get back home, half the battle for depression is that you have something to look forward to again............DR

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Mamgirl",there is only one reason that you feel the way you do about your trip to the DR.
Let me "guess",you will be coming alone again???
I wonder why???
I doubt you will actually tell us what it is that you "NEED" so much,that you have to return again,only one month after you were here.
To bad,your HUSDAND, and CHILDREN can't come with you.
I'm SURE you alraedy have SOMEONE in mind to help you pass your time here.
Just remember,he is with someone else this week.
And others on this site will back me up here,that "someone" could be female,OR MALE!
I used to miss the great sex here so much,that a doctor in Boston gave me "PROZAC", in an "Attempt" to lower my sex drive!
If you want to save money,they probably have some great looking guys where you live to help you get your "Gruve Back"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

EllaTO

Mar 16, 2012
Much easier to get that itch scratched while you're away... No need to rush back home and shower before the kids get home from school and the hubby gets home from work ;)... Just make sure you don't bring anything back home to share with that hubby!!

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
To be sure the seaside is good for health as well:

18 April 2012 Last updated at 23:53 GMT

[h=3]Share this page[/h]

<!-- Social media icons by Paul Annet | BBC GEL Social Media Icons -->

this page

[h=1]People really do like to be beside the seaside, study
says[/h]
Comments (112)
By Sean Coughlan BBC News
education correspondent
_59705081_seaside.jpg
Researchers discovered people
of all age groups found the seaside more refreshing than the country

The songs and postcards appear to be
right - a study suggests we really do like to be beside the seaside.

The study of 2,750 people presented to the British Psychological Society
examined the effects of different types of outdoor environments on people.

Researchers found the bracing seaside air had a more positive effect than the
countryside or an urban park.

Researcher Mathew White said it could reflect an "innate preference" for the
sights and sounds of water.

The study examined how different types of outdoor environments could generate
different reactions from people in terms of encouraging a sense of relaxation
and calm.
Seaside rocks
This found that being beside the coast was significantly more likely to
create a feeling of well-being.

The research, from the European Centre for Environment and Human Health, is
being presented to the annual conference of the British Psychological
Society.

The centre is part of the Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry, set up
by the Universities of Exeter and Plymouth.

The study, by Katherine Ashbullby and Mathew White, looked at responses from
2,750 people in England over two years, comparing their experiences of the
seaside, countryside and urban parks.

While all of these could be refreshing, the greatest sense of pleasure came
from exercising beside the sea - regardless of factors such as age, where they
lived and who they were with when they were visiting.

The study found that in six different age groups the seaside was always
identified as being a more positive experience than other inland parks or
country walks.

This preference for the coast was found both in the general population and
among walkers.

Those who were travelling alone were particularly likely to get more
enjoyment from the coast.

There are no clear conclusions about why being beside the seaside should be
more refreshing than other types of settings.

But the researchers are considering a range of possible associations.

This includes testing the idea that people respond positively to the way
light plays on the water, or the sounds of the sea.

There could also be social or cultural expectations about the benefits of the
seaside, suggest the researchers.

Or else there could be individual associations, such as happy childhood
memories.

The researchers say that there has been a growing awareness of the importance
of relaxation in preventing ill health - but there is not enough known about how
this is experienced.

"There is a lot of work on the beneficial effects of visiting natural
environments, but our findings suggest it is time to move beyond a simple urban
versus rural debate and start looking at the effect that different natural
environments have on people's health and well-being," said Dr White.

BBC News - People really do like to be beside the seaside, study says

No wonder people get depressed when they go away. Many people from Europe and N. America are fortunate enough to be able to buy a condo or villa near the beach in the DR at a very moderate price. Does their health benefit when they live in the super natural environments of the DR near the beach in Punta Cana , Las Terrenas etc.

pi2

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
"Mamgirl",there is only one reason that you feel the way you do about your trip to the DR.
Let me "guess",you will be coming alone again???
I wonder why???
I doubt you will actually tell us what it is that you "NEED" so much,that you have to return again,only one month after you were here.
To bad,your HUSDAND, and CHILDREN can't come with you.
I'm SURE you alraedy have SOMEONE in mind to help you pass your time here.
Just remember,he is with someone else this week.
And others on this site will back me up here,that "someone" could be female,OR MALE!
I used to miss the great sex here so much,that a doctor in Boston gave me "PROZAC", in an "Attempt" to lower my sex drive!
If you want to save money,they probably have some great looking guys where you live to help you get your "Gruve Back"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Actually CC you got it wrong this time. Been speaking with her and she is bringing the children on this trip.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Most "AIs" have babysitting services!!!!
Can't say anything about her "HUBBY",except,"Be Worried,Be VERY VERY WORRIED!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

EllaTO

Mar 16, 2012
Can't say anything about her "HUBBY",except,"Be Worried,Be VERY VERY WORRIED!!!!!
Not to mention the kids' club where you can leave the kids all.day.long.

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012

Oh My CCCCCCCCC........You are suspicious, lol. Babysitting services yes, but I doubt her teenage kids would like that

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Oh My CCCCCCCCC........You are suspicious, lol. Babysitting services yes, but I doubt her teenage kids would like that
Abuela, keep that post count going....only 324 to go.
Don't worry about substance, just POST POST POST AWAY!

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
Getting back to the origional post.....I get depressed also. The cure, start planning the next trip.

mamgirl

Mar 25, 2012
Normally I enjoy reading Mr. CCCCC's posts attacking folks on here, but since it does attack my character this time I feel the need to respond.

I looked so forward to my first trip every down south for a long time; was supposed to be a trip with my two sisters. The day before I left I came down with the flu and the day I left had a fever. I was stuffed up, coughing uncontrollably, feverish, and ill for most of the week I was there. So here I am all excited and can't even smell the fresh sea air!

Add on top of this the fact that my brother suprised us by showing up with our parents in tow on the second day of the vacation. We don't get along at the best of times when all together, but throw in unlimited alcohol and it was quite the emotional rollercoaster.

My vacation was ruined by unwanted family and the flu. I started planning my next trip before I even left.

As far as my post trip depression, it had nothing to do with anyone at the resort, but the fact that while at the resort I got to do absolutely nothing but lay around for the first time since I had children. It was the smack of the real life (ie: work and kids and pets) that hit me when I returned home. Combined with the stress of being sick and the emotional visit with my family.

I am unable to go away next year and realized if I wanted to go again it would have to be this season, or at least two years from now. I don't want to wait that long and decided my kids would benefit from the experience and I don't want to travel alone as it would be too boring. And since you're so concerned about my husband, we would have all loved it if he could join us, but he is in the military and is unable to get away.