Surprisingly most overpriced items in DR.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Most pear and apple juice comes from China, even in countries like Canada and USA that produce lots of both. Grapes do grow quite well in the DR.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
actually I think everything is cheaper in Thailand and Cambodia.. Have you never considered moving there?

On the premier golf courses in both the DR and Thailand the vision of seniors gnashing their film star perfect teeth when their shot lands in the rough or their golf cart stalls should become commonplace. Of course other parts of the body can be restored. Dick Cheney has a new heart at the age of 71. Of course Evel Knievel had a new liver.
pi2

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
On the premier golf courses in both the DR and Thailand the vision of seniors gnashing their film star perfect teeth when their shot lands in the rough or their golf cart stalls should become commonplace. Of course other parts of the body can be restored. Dick Cheney has a new heart at the age of 71. Of course Evel Knievel had a new liver.
pi2

Were you born this way or are you having some flashbacks?

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
just out of curiosity, I checked the price of the same TV in the US (Amazon.com), and the cheapest electro-chain in Belgium...

A Samsung UN46D7000

Price on Amazon: 1,375$ (+ sales tax depending on state)
Price in Belgium: 2,200$ (all taxes included and 2 year warranty by law)

Just to prove my point, it all depends on where you come from.

BelgianK

But then again, it doesn't make sense to compare USA prices to Belgium prices. And when going to Mediamarkt in The Netherlands and in Belgium, the items I were looking for all had the same price.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Oddly enough, it's because SC was once the home of the US textile industry, one of the first to go offshore. SC needed the extra brainpower to manage that...

Grad business schools have specialties. For example, the U of Michigan MBA program used to be a hotbed for the auto industry.

Wanna go into the oil industry? Try the U of Texas or U of Houston MBA programs.

very true... and also usually has to do with who the big contributors / benefactors of the school are.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
It's really not a difficult concept. Anything that is imported weather it is electronics or food is going to be higher priced, however there are a lot of products grown or made here that are equal to or less than what you would find in North America or Europe. Also many services are less than what you might normally be used to.

LTS

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
pi2

I'm not convinced he ever had a heart in the first place... LOL.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
It's really not a difficult concept. Anything that is imported weather it is electronics or food is going to be higher priced, however there are a lot of products grown or made here that are equal to or less than what you would find in North America or Europe. Also many services are less than what you might normally be used to.

LTS

Importing certainly contributes to price... but it's not the final determining factor. Consider the fact that almost all manufactured consumer goods are imported to the U.S., (as is a lot of the produce too - from Chile); and we have really cheap prices compared to most of the world. THE REAL determining factor is very simple... supply and demand plus competition. In other words... good old fashioned capitalism. ;-)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Importing certainly contributes to price... but it's not the final determining factor. Consider the fact that almost all manufactured consumer goods are imported to the U.S., (as is a lot of the produce too - from Chile); and we have really cheap prices compared to most of the world. THE REAL determining factor is very simple... supply and demand plus competition. In other words... good old fashioned capitalism. ;-)
True.

But "capitalism" is an added value over/under the cost in any product or service.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
No , farm subsidies in the US determinge the price of pigmeat ; car company subsidies and import prevention in the US determine the price of cars. If car companies, farmers, pig rearers etc. were allowed to go belly up the economy would not function. Countries like DR try and maintain stable market condions for their producers - this in the long run lowers prices.
pi2

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
2 items come to mind immediately - charcoal grills and peanut butter

if you know some local people, you might want to check with them where they buy their charcoal.

Oops, you meant the actual bbq? Well, same thing... you can buy some really nice locally made grills out of the drums, with chimney and everything at low prices...

BelgianK

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
No , farm subsidies in the US determinge the price of pigmeat ; car company subsidies and import prevention in the US determine the price of cars. If car companies, farmers, pig rearers etc. were allowed to go belly up the economy would not function. Countries like DR try and maintain stable market condions for their producers - this in the long run lowers prices.
pi2
Explain to me, brainiac, exactly WHAT the DR does to maintain "stable" market conditions.

But I agree about subsidies: kill every last one of them, and let the market determine the price. Every market, exclude none.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
There was a documentary about subsidies i saw in Norway about ten years ago. in it, they said that because of subsidies, the U. was able to sell exported chicken in the Dominican Republic for less than the local farmers were able to sell it!! Now, how is that possible? one word: Subsidies.

Same goes for sugar and many other agriculture items. With the US and E.U governments heavily subsidizing their local farmers, they're able to undersale farmers in both Africa and South America.

Now that should be a crime!

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Explain to me, brainiac, exactly WHAT the DR does to maintain "stable" market conditions.

But I agree about subsidies: kill every last one of them, and let the market determine the price. Every market, exclude none.

DR goverment controls or owns the main banks who control credit flow into the community.

It sets minimum wages/working conditions so people who are earning have sufficient wages to buy rice, beans, chicken and other commodities.

It provides welfare/pension payments to those who are not ,solidarity, so at least poorer members of the community can afford basic foodstuffs thus providing stability for the farmers, vendors.

It subsidises farmers in case of hardship e.g. a hurricane and organises fertilizer and other inputs at reasonable cost.

It controls imports of certain foods that could compete with local production when there is dumping on the World market.

Many state employees and projects.

All this contributes to stable market conditions for the producers.

If as an individual I am offered a job say on the railway:

a) If it is a state enterprise then the job is guaranteed for a reasonable time and is secure.

b) If it free enterprise I might be out on my ear in 6 months and have someone else bidding for my job.

If I have common sense the rate I am prepared to work for is lower in case a because I can be reasonably sure of funds to pay mortgage etc. for a long period of time. I can also save more because savings are not used up inbetween short term engagements. Savings contribute to a stable economy. All things being equal this results in lower prices for the consumers.

a is a more stable proposition for both the individual and the economy.

DR has many enterprises partially/fully owned or run by the state. This is like Singapore.

pi2

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
DR goverment controls or owns the main banks who control credit flow into the community.

It sets minimum wages/working conditions so people who are earning have sufficient wages to buy rice, beans, chicken and other commodities.

It provides welfare/pension payments to those who are not ,solidarity, so at least poorer members of the community can afford basic foodstuffs thus providing stability for the farmers, vendors.

It subsidises farmers in case of hardship e.g. a hurricane and organises fertilizer and other inputs at reasonable cost.

It controls imports of certain foods that could compete with local production when there is dumping on the World market.

Many state employees and projects.

All this contributes to stable market conditions for the producers.

pi2
Tell me: which of those are not done in the US, Cananada or Europe.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
DR has many enterprises partially/fully owned or run by the state. This is like Singapore.

pi2

Yes. I see how well that works with the state run power distribution companies in the DR. Simply brilliant, isn't it?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Let me try this again in a language easier to understand: In the documentary i saw in Norway about U.S and E.U farm subsidies, it clearly stated that U.S farmers were able to export their chickens all the way to the Dominican Republic and undersell local farmers despite the export cost. this means that the U.S farmers are being heavily, heavily subsidized to such an extant, that their able to export things thousands of miles away and still make money...all thanks to good Ole Uncle Sam.

The same holds true for the E.U subsidies in europe hurting African farmers.

This has the consequence of hyper-inflating certain prices.

Does this sound remotely fair?

Frank