Surprisingly most overpriced items in DR.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Are apples, Green apples are daylight legal robbery! And I can't think of anything more surprisingly expensive. (exc vehicles)
They don't grow apples here.

Grapes are also expensive.

But out bananas, pineapples, mangoes, chinola, tamarindo and other yummy fruits are dirt cheap...

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
I always thought they grew apples in the DR, not even in the higher regions?

LOL, I know I'm going to catch a L for this one.. but I too thought apples grew here. My knowledge about these things is low, but I thought.. well we're on a sunny island so every type of fruit should grow here.

Also, I should have to Google to find out what's the difference between red and green apples besides the colour. I know in London I always bought apples (red and green) in a bowl of 7 for 1 pound = 60 DOP.

Here in Santo Domingo 1 green apple is 25 DOP.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Ironing boards are US 120 or MORE![/QUOTE

People still iron???

That in itself is an interesting topic. How many men with Dominican/Haitian wives/partners find there clothes put away inside out and not ironed until the day you wear them. I was brought up understanding the routine of washing day one day then the ironing the following day, then put away.
I put this inside out storage method down to her being brought up in a dusty Campo environment, but I've never really questioned it as she will without doubt accuse me of accusing her of being lazy (which is not good) which means I would be expected to accomplish more around the house (which is not good) so it just is.........
Does anyones wife do the washing and ironing before being put away?

Sorry, absolute hijack, but doubt it's worth a separate thread!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, i do not have a wife, i am one. and i will do no ironing. i just cannot understand why should i bother if the clothes will wrinkle again in no time... my mother still has the same iron she got as a wedding gift, 38 years ago. she used to iron, bless her, once a year, so my dad woul have fresh shirt for new years eve party (dad used to be a car mechanic, no need for pressed clothes in this line of work). now she cannot be bothered and she buys him new shirt every year ;)
in any case, i do the laundry. i know dominicans would go bonkers with the quantity of washing powder, to say nothing about cloro. then our cleaning lady does the ironing, once a week. and yes, the ironing boeard was kinda expensive. i presume dominicans must be using methods applied by my mother - double folded towel on the table.

and i was pretty sure dominicans grew them apples somewhere in constanza.

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
Uhm, internet is expensive.. I just looked in an old thread of mine and I said:

I think that's going to be my pick, 10mb at around $130 a month. Sounds fair.

:dead:

Because ever since I've not been living with momma I always had internet inclusive, so no internet bills.

Internet in UK / Netherlands is around €30,- for 20mb and it works!!! I test like 17mb when I'm at home with momma.

$130 for 10mb!?!?!?!?! NOW THAT'S EXPENSIVE!!!!

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Obviously you haven't seen how many Canadian woman are on the local market. I believe the word is ubiquitous.

Come see my Canadian ass... I dare you...

Your elderly ass, receding hair line, huge beer belly and teenage puta don't stand a chance...

Canadian women have no shame. It's more embarrassing to be one of the many old men strolling around thinking they're hot sh!t with a girl that could be their great grand daughter... now that's disgusting.

... grow up or watch out for geese overhead.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Print this, and put it on the refrigerator:

Dom-Expense.jpg

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Uhm, internet is expensive.. I just looked in an old thread of mine and I said:

:dead:

Because ever since I've not been living with momma I always had internet inclusive, so no internet bills.

Internet in UK / Netherlands is around €30,- for 20mb and it works!!! I test like 17mb when I'm at home with momma.

$130 for 10mb!?!?!?!?! NOW THAT'S EXPENSIVE!!!!
It's worse than that. Currently internet
RD$7600/month for 10Mbs through Cable del Norte in Cabarete. That's about US$195.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
It is for sure imported items are expensive here, but imported items are also expensive in your own countries.

If you buy imported French cheeses or wines in the US, they will be very expensive in comparison to local products.
If I would buy f.e. pancake mix by Betty Crocker in Belgium, I would pay a hell of a lot more than I would pay in the US.

Then you have to take into account which country you come from. If, like me, you are from Belgium, then prices here in general are on the same level, or lower. A flatscreen tv will be just as expensive in Belgium, as here. But we get a decent warranty over there... lol

If you are from Switzerland, you will laugh at the prices here, and go crazy shopping...

What is overprized is the beef here. Never have known leather was so expensive... lol

BelgianK

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
Belgiank, example.. when I spent time in Antwerp coming from The Netherlands. I don't know if you know it but PEANUT BUTTER is what we do in The Netherlands! :)

Of course the better brands are more expensive but the normal brands will do the trick as well and they are being sold for like €0,50 or at least less than €1,-

The first time I went to a super market in Antwerp to get me some peanut butter, I swear I couldn't fine any cheaper than €2,-

Just a simple small thing, but to me it meant the world!

Also I'm found of choco pasta (Due Penotti for example), last time before coming to here I was in London so my state of mind is still in London. I always bought choco pasta for like 60 pence = less than 50 DOP. I went looking for it in Jumbo, they didn't have it.. maybe it's because both of the Jumbo's I went to weren't the BIG Jumbo's. I went to La Sirena, I had to pay 150 DOP = like 2 something pounds.

Things like this fck up my whole experience of eating breakfast.. :( And I'm just talking about a couple of cents.

I petty those who buy laptops, tv's and all the finer things of life!