Things are NOT all that good as "some" say

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
cobraboy informs us

Time. Each human on the planet has the same 24 hour day to work with.
Associations. Each of us decides who we associate with. This includes family.

each of us decides who we associate with. really! and at precisely what stage of life do we acquire the capability to do just that? does some 8 year old kid from the barrio get to associate with the Brugal family? if he does get to do so, later on in life, how does it erase the negatives that he digests in his early formative stages of life, when he is surrounded by a social ecosystem that manifests the worst self destructive traits known to mankind? what does he do, at eight years old, when the role model for his barrio is the drug dealer with the Lexus? does he make the conscious decision to pack his meagre belongings, leave home, and seek more positive associations? besides, this notion of being able to choose one?s friends is very limited in application, and does not lead to the egalitarian outcomes that cobraboy seems to imagine. there are people , in all countries of the world, who have a leg up on others, simply because of who they, or their family, is. George Bush, the younger, has a better chance of getting into Yale than i do, even if my SAT is higher. that chance is called GHW Bush. so, spare us the simplistics of some notion of potential egalitarianism, sabotaged by ?genetics?, among other things. the Bell Curve might be attractive to you, as an explanatory dynamic for social inequality, but is highly insufficient to tell us why a guy with a 95 IQ gets into Harvard over a guy with 160.
^^^PERFECT example^^^ of the "I'm a victim, it's not my fault" card.

One does not have to associate with a Brugal family to associate with people who are determined to be an achiever.

I am sorry for your self-hate and underachievement, "the gorgon." It truly saddens me. :(

Last edited:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
you see, cobraboy, there are people who believe that we are all able to make rational choices, and, if we do not, it is because we have elected to be irrational. that is simplistic, beyond discussion. some people are born with qualities which are far different from similarly situated people, and that explains the notion of the Black Sheep of a family. not everyone is disposed to the same behaviors, and it is not always a matter of personal failings, on their part. some have genetic defects, which impair brain functions, and induce different behavioral traits. Van Gogh is a perfect example of an exceedingly talented person , beset by demons occasioned by a brain defect. to be reductionist and dismissive, and to attribute a person?s failings in life to ?bad choices?is beyond simplistic, and, in a way, elitist. it suggests that those who fail, choose to. i am not in the NBA, but not because i do not wish to. at the age when i could function at that level, i just did not have the gifts. acumen is a gift, just like the ability to throw a ball at 100 miles per hour. some have it, some do not. besides, you analysis fails to examine those who are successes because they inherited wealth, and the contacts with which to develop it. no amount of choice on my part will ever give me the access to the advantages in life that someone like George Bush has. yet, i bet that my SATs were in excess of his, and so is my IQ score.
^^^Perfect example^^^ of jealousy.

Thanks, "the gorgon."

BTW: IQ and SAT scores are meaningless in the big picture of achievement. The world is littered with educated, intelligent derelicts. It's what you DO with it, not that you possess it.

My comments were regarding the only two areas of life that humans can affect: what a man does, and who a man associates with.

I don't make excuses, but am often surrounded by those that do.

(You need to seek help about that More-Than-4-Hour Rage Erection you have for Dubya. He's just a man, and every nanosecond you spend thinking about him is a nanasecond you could have spent on productive mental exercises that aim toward what you define as success. That's my point.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
^^^PERFECT example^^^ of the "I'm a victim, it's not my fauly" card.

One does not have to associate with a Brugal family to associate with people who are determined to be an achiever.

I am sorry for your self-hate and underachievement, "the gorgon." It truly saddens me. :(

typical of you, cobraboy, to assume that certain people have underachieved. actually, save your pity for the appropriate targets. my father was a Howard University educated physician, my mother was the Director of In Service education at a prestigious NYC hospital, and i have graduate bonafides from more than one institution of higher learning. both my sons have Masters degrees, like i do. my brother is an international economic Development consultant, who has done work for many East Asian governments. sorry to disappoint you. i am not sitting in some ghetto, in a hoodie, smoking on a crack pipe, wishing i was as important as you are.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I chuckle when someone expresses opinions on a book while never having read it. You aren't the first.

It tells me much about that person: they make judgements on issues with little to no knowledge, and are too lazy to get information for themselves.

AS is not about greed and selfishness.

It's about how society punishes the Producers, the price of innovation and success extracted by the Looters.

By your rationale, I can't say that Alaska is cold in January, since I've never visited; can't say Thomas Jefferson existed, I guess, for I never met him. And your logical mind told you that had I read AS, I would've spelled Galt's name correctly...

Yes, I'm lazy and, in fact, an underachiever. And I guarantee you that all the members of DR1 and almost all the people you and I have met in our lifetimes are underachievers, unless, of course, some of you are of a different breed of Homo sapiens sapiens... maybe Homo sapien northameripithecus floridensis or canadensis.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
each of us decides who we associate with. really! and at precisely what stage of life do we acquire the capability to do just that? does some 8 year old kid from the barrio get to associate with the Brugal family? if he does get to do so, later on in life, how does it erase the negatives that he digests in his early formative stages of life, when he is surrounded by a social ecosystem that manifests the worst self destructive traits known to mankind? what does he do, at eight years old, when the role model for his barrio is the drug dealer with the Lexus? does he make the conscious decision to pack his meagre belongings, leave home, and seek more positive associations? besides, this notion of being able to choose one?s friends is very limited in application, and does not lead to the egalitarian outcomes that cobraboy seems to imagine.

Yes each of us decides who we associate with. I grew up in a lower middle class family and when I became a teenager there were plenty of undesirable types I could have chosen as friends to be popular yet I chose mostly to have no friends or very few at all. I see the real difference is whether parents bother to teach their children right from wrong.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
i am not sitting in some ghetto, in a hoodie, smoking on a crack pipe, wishing i was as important as you are.
That never once crossed my mind. I'm saddened you think your fellow men think that. Shows your bias, not mine.

Never said I was important. I have never tried to be important. I quit caring what folks thought about me many, many years ago.

And I have intentionally been vague as to what "success" means. If you are satisfied with your definition of it, and feel as though you have achieved it, fantastic!

But I reject the notion that a man cannot control his actions and associations, therefore has no control over his achievement and whatever outcome is by good or bad fortune, not time utilization, chosen associations and delayed gratification.

And FWIW, the gorgon, I never thought of you as unintelligent nor uneducated.

I just think you are wrong on this issue, and feel sadness that an intelligent man such as yourself chooses to embrace excuses for individual failures rather than promoting personal initiative and how a young person chooses who they hang with and what they do with their time...

If you choose to live your life that way, kudos. If you choose to promote that precept, fantastic! As long as you don't try to effect my person, life or property with those opinions we can live in peaceful harmony in different worlds, and I'm A-OK with that.

Because, as usual, opinions vary, all blessings.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes each of us decides who we associate with. I grew up in a lower middle class family and when I became a teenager there were plenty of undesirable types I could have chosen as friends to be popular yet I chose mostly to have no friends or very few at all. I see the real difference is whether parents bother to teach their children right from wrong.

I have never heard anyone say that it was their choice of friends that made them popular. I have always seen it work the other way. As if one could just make oneself popular by doing that. Popular people are chosen by others and that is what makes them popular. How sad there was not anyone good enough for you when you were growing up. That explains a lot.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
By your rationale, I can't say that Alaska is cold in January, since I've never visited; can't say Thomas Jefferson existed, I guess, for I never met him. And your logical mind told you that had I read AS, I would've spelled Galt's name correctly...
Non-sequitor.

You have not read any Rand, never even read a Cliff Notes version, yet you write a reviews of her. You actually opined a quote from a review, not even a review of a review.

And, yes, had you read it you'd certainly have spelled "Galt" correctly. It's only appears several thousand times in the book.

You're in good company on DR1. There are a bunch here who never read any Rand and hate her...

(Just a suggestion: it helps credibility to have read something you want to criticize, otherwise, you're just a Blind Follower...)

Lucifer said:
Yes, I'm lazy and, in fact, an underachiever.
My condolences. I'll bet you wished you'd done things differently.

Lucifer said:
And I guarantee you that all the members of DR1 and almost all the people you and I have met in our lifetimes are underachievers,
Then your guarantee would be wrong. I know a number of DR1ers who are hardly underachievers.

Lucifer said:
unless, of course, some of you are of a different breed of Homo sapiens sapiens... maybe Homo sapien northameripithecus floridensis or canadensis.
I'm, a knuckle-dragging Homo sapiens neanderthalensis...

and proud of it!:cheeky:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Cobraboy" is barred,by decree,to not engage in any "Battle-of-Whits" with the likes of you.
He could be tried for "Beating An Unarmed Man!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
cobraboy;1115912 I'm said:
Homo sapiens neanderthalensis...

...[/I]and proud of it!:cheeky:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zxUY5HoRiRk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>.................

Feb 7, 2007
OK this thread is starting to turn into personal attacks that have little to do with the opening topic. Please stay on track. (I am starting to sound like a moderator).

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zxUY5HoRiRk" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>.................
LOL!

Some of my peeps from the hood:

[video=youtube;mM6OIlreneA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM6OIlreneA[/video]

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
"Cobraboy" is barred,by decree,to not engage in any "Battle-of-Whits" with the likes of you.
He could be tried for "Beating An Unarmed Man!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

No c/boy has been in Republica Dominicana soo long, he's developed a superiority complex (intellectually)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
OK this thread is starting to turn into personal attacks that have little to do with the opening topic. Please stay on track. (I am starting to sound like a moderator).
It's not "over" until Godwin's Law has been invoked...:cheeky:

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Per OP, thread should be cleaned-up..

Posts will stay as is and any more personal attacks will be deleted and infractions given.

Come on now. We are all adults here.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Cobraboy,

I tried reading Ayn Rand's books but found them to be boring. Just like you.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Good analogy. Lert us use that then. My logic is if you are in the top 1/3 of a category...lets say class rank in school, I would classify you as one of the "most" sucessful in that endeavor. If you are in the bottom third you would be classified as one of most unsuccessful/least unsuccessful in that endeavor. The other 1/3 would rank as average/middle of the road.

In theory this might sound good to you but in reality and specifically in academia this is absurd. A grade of 70% is considered sightly below average or between a D+ & C-. I don't know if things have changed much after I graduated from CCNY but D+ and C- were both considered poor grades. In fact, a GPA of D+ ~1.3 or C- ~1.7 would land you in academic probation for the next semester and being dismissed from school permanently if a GPA of C ~2.0 wasn't secured at the end of the probation semester.

Source: http://www.educationoasis.com/resources/Articles/beginners_guide_grades.htm

That is exactly what I did....and my opinion does not change. According to the rankings the DR is "one of the most corrupt" countries in the survey. If you believe it should be called something different, I am open to your suggestions.
I would say DR is corrupt but I would not say DR is one of the most corrupt from that index.

Yes! How would you extrapolate/categorize being in the top 30
Close to the 30% mark would be average and close to the 20% mark would be good. Exceptional is anything upwards of the 10% mark.

Fair enough. We interpret the data differently. However, I still believe if you are in the bottom 30% of the corruption index...then you are "one of the most corrupt."

Lets just agree to disagree.

Respectfully,
NotLurking

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Hey guys we are still waiting for the answer to the big question that has been danced around and avoided by the Great Pichy San!
Anyway guess we will never know!!!
Good day all I am still waiting for Edenorte to come fix my transformer I wish Pich would call somebody in the DR and tell them to put some pressure on Edenorte to hurry up and fix it ! HINT HINT

Status
Not open for further replies.