Two Canadians being held in Jail in Higuey charged with assault? Wedding Party.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
A lot of things were "said" in that article, with very little information being conveyed. Much / most of it smelled "fishy" to me.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
For those that have never been Quebec offers incredible foods in numerous great restaurants, fantastic Maple sugar, lots of good looking women

yes, we mention those canadian ladies on dr1 all the time... :rolleyes::laugh::surprised

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
bilko;1257112There doesn`t seem to be anything that shows that this case could go somewhere.[/Q The father claims they had a "Mickey Mouse Trial" and were convicted.[/QUOTE said:
Most people don`t know the difference between an arraignment, a preliminary hearing and a trial (or whatever hearing is held in a courtroom). Why would they? Unless you`ve worked in the legal system, you`ve been prosecuted before or a relative of yours has been through the whole process, It`s pretty normal to call everything a "Trial".

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
The 48 hours is a time limit set as a control or limit to Police or prosecutor abuse. It`s the time before which the prosecutor has to present the suspect before a jugde for an arraignment hearing. This is because, before the current Code, people could be arrested and held for months, even for minor things, with no info on their status and no hope for a trial.

In the arraigment hearing the judge has to check if there were any violations during the arrest, if there are hints or "scintillas" that indicate the person could have participated in the crime, if there are grounds to hold an investigation, etc.

An arraignment is a temporary disposition in which a suspect is held during an investigation. The type of arraigment is imposed according to the type of crime and the attachments that the suspect could have in the country.
If the person has family, business in the DR, they could get bail, or have to come periodically to the prosecutor`s office to sign a record book, for a set period of time (among other things). If the person has no attachments to the DR, or it`s considered that they could posibly escape and not be present for trial , they could be held on "Prision Preventiva" for 3 months and up to a year.

Yes. During the arraignment the police submits to the judge whatever evidence they've gathered to warrant an investigation, or charge as it happened in this case.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
A lot of things were "said" in that article, with very little information being conveyed. Much / most of it smelled "fishy" to me.

I'm with you Captain. I don't believe the groom's father where he states his son just "pushed the other two aside as best he could." He sees his bride being banged against the buffet table and I think he went beserk. It turned into a vicious brawl.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
The father claims they had a "Mickey Mouse Trial" and were convicted.

Any kind of hearing can be quashed if you are foreign and do not have a translator, fact! If they now employ a lawyer then they can be out in half a day.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I'm with you Captain. I don't believe the groom's father where he states his son just "pushed the other two aside as best he could." He sees his bride being banged against the buffet table and I think he went beserk. It turned into a vicious brawl.

I'm with the Capt and Bronzeallspice.....
All that VERY detailed info we got from the suspects' family member and not a word was said about the condition of the beating victim.
Those guys had better hope that the injuries are NOT overly serious.
We have all heard stories about brawls where a victim slams his/her head on a corner of something and the situation takes a whole new direction.
Time will tell.
That's some heck of a hangover though...............

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
That`s not a fact ! No judge performs an arraignment without the suspect being represented. You can`t just skip that!

I know what you think you know, but what you think you know is not fact, I know it to be fact, I've been there! Sorry to burst your bubble of knowledge!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
That's some heck of a hangover though...............

I feel for the 18 year old, the young ones even in courthouse lock up are treated pretty bad, food and water taken from them, made to sleep beside the poop and pee area saturated in poop and pee. Being moved to Higuey will be a huge ordeal for them, imagine being in that situation and not able to understand what people are demanding from you, terrifying.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Where have you been? Where is "THERE"?

I'm not about to disclose my personals to prove a point that another DR1er can't see the difference between text book and reality here in DR. But lets say I've been through the situation you claim is not possible as far as representation etc, therefor what I say is fact, it happens.

That's all I'm saying to you, whatever book you've read or website you've found your info, your info is wrong, simple.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I'm not about to disclose my personals to prove a point that another DR1er can't see the difference between text book and reality here in DR. But lets say I've been through the situation you claim is not possible as far as representation etc, therefor what I say is fact, it happens.

That's all I'm saying to you, whatever book you've read or website you've found your info, your info is wrong, simple.

I worked in a criminal court for several years. Your problem is that you asume that everyone else`s information comes out of Google. Actually, I`ve seen you give A LOT of wrong information on these forums and this is why I actually doubt, and feel comfortable doubting, that what you say is totally accurate.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I worked in a criminal court for several years. Your problem is that you asume that everyone else`s information comes out of Google. Actually, I`ve seen you give A LOT of wrong information on these forums and this is why I actually doubt, and feel comfortable doubting, that what you say is totally accurate.

So you worked in the criminal court? So what, that qualifies you for what exactly? Where exactly, what was your job? Maybe this will help me understand your misleadings.

Doubt me, for me is not a problem. When people talk sh1t i have to assume it is Google to blame, as on so many levels info is wrong. For you to claim that you know all because of what happens before your eyes is such and therefor all else must be as you witness yourself makes your opinion to most who know DR void. So I'm cool with your opinion of my experiences, realities of the legal system.
Please provide links to the wrong information I have provided previously, as you claim, I never post on the legal forum on these matters unless I know first hand, I'm here to back up anything you doubt.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I SMELL A FIGHT BREWING. LOL Aguaita and Giveadogahome are going to be locked up next to the "wedding crashers". LOL

[video=youtube;1sONfxPCTU0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sONfxPCTU0[/video]

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Please provide links to the wrong information I have provided previously, as you claim, I never post on the legal forum on these matters unless I know first hand, I'm here to back up anything you doubt.

Well, here are some examples.....

1)On a common Law post you quoted an OLD CEDAW Convention report that is no longer accurate and laws that have been derogated. You talked about them with confidence as if they were still valid.

2) On a Child Support post I remember you stating a set and very specific amount for child support, when actually it all depends on what the father of the child does and what was the situation before the divorce or separation.

3)You once posted that Cockfighting was an underground activity in the DR, when actually there are PUBLIC Colliseums all over the country and it`s a legal activity.

If this is your "first hand" experience, I`m sorry for your "Second hand"!

iT`s rude when you think that what everyone else posts is bull**** and out of wikipedia, whenactually you`re one not EITHER exactly the greatest contributor to this site.(Which I`m not either, but don`t go on telling everyone that they say is BS)

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
So you worked in the criminal court? So what, that qualifies you for what exactly? Where exactly, what was your job? Maybe this will help me understand your misleadings.

Wait, when I asked you about your "first hand" information you said that you didn`t need to explain. Actually, I`ve told you more than what you`ve told me. And you want me to explain myself to you, MORE? LOL

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
I know what you think you know, but what you think you know is not fact, I know it to be fact, I've been there! Sorry to burst your bubble of knowledge!

From the man who knows everything, and has never been wrong.....

How DO you do it?

Fascinating!!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Well, here are some examples.....

1)On a common Law post you quoted an OLD CEDAW Convention report that is no longer accurate and laws that have been derogated. You talked about them with confidence as if they were still valid.
Point me to this thread please, I will clarify or be proven wrong. If you can't point me to the thread then at least remind me what I said exactly, if I am wrong then I will hold my hands up. But I have just been through all this sh1t in the courts, I doubt they have changed much in the last 3weeks.

2) On a Child Support post I remember you stating a set and very specific amount for child support, when actually it all depends on what the father of the child does and what was the situation before the divorce or separation.
Never, I may have used an example, or spoken of for instance, I would not speak of a specific for all, that would be stupid, please, link me to the thread. Again, I have very very recent first hand experience on this matter.

3)You once posted that Cockfighting was an underground activity in the DR, when actually there are PUBLIC Colliseums all over the country and it`s a legal activity.
Now you are just making sh1t up, link me to the thread. Never would I because I see cock fighting every day on the streets where I live.
If this is your "first hand" experience, I`m sorry for your "Second hand"!

Again, not accurate. I've just told you I've very recently been through the system, I know what is involved.

iT`s rude when you think that what everyone else posts is bull**** and out of wikipedia, whenactually you`re one not EITHER exactly the greatest contributor to this site.(Which I`m not either, but don`t go on telling everyone that they say is BS)

I'm telling you what you stated as a fact is not true, I know for a fact. Now if I have been through it and you say something contrary to my experience then I can tell you that without a doubt your facts are false. Simple. I have nothing to prove here, I'm contributing to help readers what I KNOW to be the situation, first hand. I'm not sure how anyone can argue with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.