Shipping 70" TV.

Jan 9, 2004
[
QUOTE=playacaribe2;1261125]Well, if you like that one at $2199....you will probably love this one at $1,599:

VIZIO E-Series 70

Seriously, tomorrow I will ask my shipper about door to door costs for that size.

Following up on this post from yesterday, I spoke with my agent about shipping and taxes for a 70 inch. And while I am still awaiting his answer on the 70" (he has never shipped one that big and needs to check the price), he did indicate a 55" would be $800 door to door all taxes included. That price is from the Boston area...although I do not think the shipping portion changes much, no matter where you ship from...even Miami. Taxes are, and always will be, the 800 pound gorilla in the room.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Dominicans often bring a lot of items in their suit cases.
Soooooooooooooooooooooo, be like a Dominican, fly to "Nueba Yol", go to "China Town", buy the biggest "F83King" suitcase you can find, and bring it back with you on the plane!
I have seen them with suitcases big enough to pack an upright piano, or a small car.
I SWEAR"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I had done this with 32" but I doubt there is suitcase out there that will fit 70".
LOL..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
$800 seems like a lot...

I shipped a 32" TV, soundbar, Blu-Ray DVD, stereo and who knows what else with Awilda last October or so...... $750.

I complained LOUDLY and it was explained that it was the electronics that drove up the number.

Call and find out.... they'll quote on the phone

Jan 9, 2004
$800 seems like a lot...

I shipped a 32" TV, soundbar, Blu-Ray DVD, stereo and who knows what else with Awilda last October or so...... $750.

I complained LOUDLY and it was explained that it was the electronics that drove up the number.

Call and find out.... they'll quote on the phone

So, if I wanted to ship the following TV it would run $780 plus 800.

VIZIO ESeries Razor LED 55" Class 5458" Diag. LED 1080p 120Hz Smart 3D HDTV E551d-A0 - Best Buy

To decide if it is worth it, you have to find the equivalent TV in the DR and do a cost/benefit analysis.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
From my personal experience I paid USD$860.00 for shipping a 70" Sharp Aquos tv to Santiago from NYC door to door service (where they collect the tv at home or shop for you and then place all the needed protection for shipping and deliver it to your door in Jarabacoa).

That was done in March this year... They quoted me over USD$1,000 in the initial price provided via phone, but I went personally to "negotiate" the price as I shipped several extra boxes and drums at the same time of the TV shipping.

Was it worth it? YES!

I didn't even shop around at the time given I was pressed for time and had to return to Florida the next day of taking care of that biz there. I imagine that if I had paid a visit to other shipping companies with the quoted price from that shipping company (AWILDA) to say, Monumental, etc... They would had better up the offer on the spot (they are very competitive in the NYC market for shipping goods).

As advice I would say that the value of the shipping for a large screen TV by itself would be rather more than had you shipped several other items at the same time.

You can drop it at their place, have them pick it up at your house or the shop where you bought it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Last October, when I complained on here about my $750 ship&tax amount, Windy(if I recall) went out and priced my TV - 32" LED - then did the cost analysis for us here.

Effectively, the TV in RD was double.... so my purchase + the $750 was well worth it.

I agree w/ Picho..... buy stateside - I say that about all electronics and white goods (appliances)

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
BTW!...Does anybody know? What's the best brand TV to import in resell value and for repairs, parts availability. It use to be Sony!

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Last year on Black Friday I paid $688 for a Vizio Slim 60" LED Smart TV at Walmart!!! The Vizio 70" was on sale for $1,699 and NOBODY was online waiting for that one. A $1,000 for 10 lousy inches, fuhgeddaboudit! Why don't you just buy a HD projector like an Epson and blast it on your wall at a 120" Plus, sneak it in with your carry-on. BOOOM!! I just saved you duty. U R Welcome!

Where's Aftab! He was huge on the projectors.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you wanted one , I expect you can find an old projector screen for peanuts.

Many people must have one in their basement and have forgotten about it.

This seems like a good solution....

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I bought a 52 inch sony few months back from amazon and went through a recommended mudanza. The sale price for tv was 1000usd but once the dust settled it was 1675 to me after taxes, shipping etc. In my case fro whatever reason the mudanza had my load with a ton of other TVs and was held up in customs for 3 months.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I bought a 52 inch sony few months back from amazon and went through a recommended mudanza. The sale price for tv was 1000usd but once the dust settled it was 1675 to me after taxes, shipping etc. In my case fro whatever reason the mudanza had my load with a ton of other TVs and was held up in customs for 3 months.

Yesterday I saw a 50" Sony Bravia for 59,000 DOP (around US$ 1,450) in Anthony's "Hi-Fi" electronics (yeah, that's inside anthony's clothing store). I thought it was a good deal. 32" Sony were at 17,000 DOP

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Price is more dependent on the specifications of the TV.(Full HDTV, Smart TV, LED, vs, "Older Technology",Brand, etc.)
"Size" does matter, but a new "Loaded" model will cost you more than an older, fewer features, model of the same size all day long!
New "Loaded" LED TVs, will now cost you about the same here,as a "Shipped In" TV.
AND, you have it on "Day One", installed in many cases, "FREE" mounting brackets, and a warrantee, that "CAN" be of value.
What happens if your "Shipped In" TV, breaks, or never even works after you get it????????????????????????
Be Smart,Buy LOCAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
All you guys with the big TVs..... you must have great security, because if I put a 50-60-70" TV on my wall it would be the same as painting a "rob me" sign on my gate. Word would spread like wildfire in the campo.

Not that we watch much tv in DR to begin with, but just saying......

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Price is more dependent on the specifications of the TV.(Full HDTV, Smart TV, LED, vs, "Older Technology",Brand, etc.)
"Size" does matter, but a new "Loaded" model will cost you more than an older, fewer features, model of the same size all day long!
New "Loaded" LED TVs, will now cost you about the same here,as a "Shipped In" TV.
AND, you have it on "Day One", installed in many cases, "FREE" mounting brackets, and a warrantee, that "CAN" be of value.
What happens if your "Shipped In" TV, breaks, or never even works after you get it????????????????????????
Be Smart,Buy LOCAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One thing I forgot to mention on my TV shipment to Santiago, was that I bought the TV set at Best Buy and was able to buy an extended warranty (yes you read it right!) for the TV that is honored in the Dominican Republic!

If the TV fails you can contact the manufacturer's local service center for the included coverage under warranty or if that does not solve your problem you call the number on your Best Buy extended warranty for the service center that will take care of the problem for you. If they can't fix it at a reasonable price, they will refund you the full price paid for the TV...

When I'm down again in Santiago, proly next month, I'll take a pic with my cell phone of the extended warranty contract to post it here for you guys!

You must ask for INTERNATIONAL EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERAGE for the contract to cover you in the DR.

That was why I was so eager to pay the shipping charges to the DR from the USA, instead of buying the set in the DR direct...

Warranty in the DR, is heaven sent!

Last edited:

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I put the original receipt, extended warranty and manufacturer's warranty documents into a plastic folder and secured it to the back of the TV for safe keeping and ease to find when needed.

I do that with all my large appliances and electronic items when possible.

The Pichardo

Spin

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You ACTUALLY believe that an "International Extended Warranty" will get you ANYTHING here in the DR????????
And you must have paid a few hundred dollars more to "Best Buy" to get it!!!!!
You can seldom get a Dominican store to fix an item under "Warranty", here, let alone from another country.
And then there's the "Skill Level" of a "Tech" here to deal with.
Wrong "Diagnosis" Spin Doctor, the prognosis is not good!
Call "Blandino" for a pre paid burial policy for your TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loansong

Jun 19, 2013
Wow for the taxes and fees alone on that TV - you could buy a couple of Large Display type glasses and just bring them oin a suitcase! Heck with the cost of the 70 inch TV and shipping and taxes you could buy half a dozen and have enough for the whole family!