What attracts expats to Santiago?

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
You know, i got to thinking some more about this contrast and comparison. What you said got me thinking...what is better, waking up to an ocean view everyday, and being able to walk out your front door and down to the beach promenade where you one can walk miles along the ocean front in the sand where there are no cars, no motoconchos, no city noise, and no pollution, and stopping at cafes along the way, drinking beautiful Dominican coffee while taking in the beautiful sights and watching sculptured Kite surfers and Wind surfers zip up and down the edges of the water front.

Or would it be better to be up in the mountains--looking out over the haze of pollution that settles over the Cibao valley every late afternoon around 4pm?

There's a lot to think about and consider here: Ocean view vs thick haze, Bikinis vs donkeys, walking on the beach vs walking across gravel, being stuck in the rain up in the mountains vs being stuck in the rain on the beach looking at girls. Is it better to be up in the mountains getting eaten up by mosquitoes vs sitting on the beach being eaten up by vampires? Is it nicer sitting on the beach drinking pina colodas out of fresh pineapples vs sitting up in the mountains drinking hot coco trying to keep warm and dry; is it better sitting on the beach watching baseball & football on large screen tv's vs sitting up in the mountains watching roosters chasing chickens around the front porch trying to mate; is it better walking barefoot on the beach vs walking up in the mountains with horse and cow manure squishing in-between your toes.

The list really is endless, but at the end of the day, i love that people have different tastes, desires, and needs...diversity is what makes the world go around. Imagine if everyone only lived up in the mountains and walked barefoot in horse & cow manure all day and watched the lights in the valley below flicker on and off due to a lack of a working grid...how boring would that be!?

Frank

Ohh, you don't have to live up in the mountains and walk barefoot to get this view, any two story house in one of the many pollution free residential areas in Gurabo with a 24 electric grid can do the trick.

Well like you said the list is endless, you gave us your point of view on the North coast vs Santiago mountain living, thanks. Just that some of us would never change a walk in the huge PUCMM campus, while seeing some of the most gorgeous girls in this island for a walk in the beach, looking at kite suffers, ugly cueros and dudes trying to sell cheap souvenirs. Perhaps some of us would never change the tons of entertainment options we get here, from golf to bowling, to paintball, to motocross for a GYM with an ocean view. Maybe some might never change a diverse nightlife that offers countless clubs that range from tipico parties in the western part of the city, to the clubs that play electronic music in los Jardine for a night life that offers a few cuero infested clubs. Why would anyone want to change the incredible experience of going to a live baseball game at el estadio cibao, or a live basketball game at la arena del Cibao for watching sports on a big flat screen. Maybe some would never change the option of dozen of nice supermarkets, Malls, ferreterias, and restaurants for a pina colada. For the record not everyone is baby boomer retiree, I'm sure many here like me are young, and need a social life that requires a young crowd, decent universities, and decent jobs. I for one can not see how a young guy in his early to mid 20's could ever live in the north coast.

Like you said the list is endless, we can keep going, but we won't get anywhere, there's just too many scenarios, everyone has their own opinions, their own preferences etc.. and I try to respect that. One thing is certain though, it seems that more and more expats are coming down from the north coast to live in Santiago.

Last edited:

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
I think santiago reviews should be left to be written by santiagueros (people who actually live there), the flip flop wearing tourists from the coast will just not get it (charm of santiago). I have lived in santiago for more than 10 yrs and let me tell you this, I still love santiago. If it wasn't for bad economy there, I would still be living there. i live in capital now but I still take time out to spend a weekend here and there in santiago.
There are no traffic jams there, now on-your-face ugly hookers, no idiotic (clueless) gringos in swimming shorts, no puta bars in your view and no tourist scams. The housing facilities are cheap, food is great and has all the amenities of a big city (like santo domingo) yet retains small city charm. The people are the nicest in the country and the girls are the best looking. So if you are into some cheap ghetto puta bar waitress type girls, better not come to santiago. If you do not speak spanish or have not learnt spanish living in the north coast in 10 yrs of residency, do not come to santiago. Santiago is not for everyone and, generally speaking, foreigners who live in the coast will not feel at home there.
In simple terms, if you do not have to work to make a living then live in santiago.
AZB

Hahahaha One of the best and funniest posts in the whole thread.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Santiago is a city of commerce and reflection of authentic Dominican culture. Along with some mountain areas close by, it's where many of the original Spaniards settled, hence the lighter skin tones.

It's not a tourist town and doesn't pretend to be. There isn't much there that might interest "typical tourists" beyond a couple of museums.

The NC is pretty much only a tourist area and reflects such.

Few "retire" or vacation to a commercial city, but many do a tourist location.

Santiago isn't really a "mini-Santo Domingo." StoDgo is an international city, a center of international trade and finance.

Santiago is not. It's a city of intra commerce & distribution.

So it's not too surprising that those who like a vacation environment don't care that much for Santiago, and vice versa.

Opinions vary, but IMO Santiago in the most livable big city in the DR.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I find Puerto Plata spoiled with pollution, both garbage & air, when driving through.

I have noted that the barriers between the lanes of traffic actually keep a lot of the low ground air pollution, the smoke and nasty gasses, from dispersing more quickly. But at least there isn't the craziness of cars and motos crossing in front of you every 20m...

May 29, 2006
I'd rather be in an ag area with a large town/small city like Constanza or Mao. I also like the looks of Cabrera, but it's a bit far from a big supermarket. Bigger Dominican cities are too dusty and loud for my taste. Mao looks like the Napa valley.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I'd rather be in an ag area with a large town/small city like Constanza or Mao. I also like the looks of Cabrera, but it's a bit far from a big supermarket. Bigger Dominican cities are too dusty and loud for my taste. Mao looks like the Napa valley.
Mao gets dry...

We love Jarabacoa, and it's only 20 minutes to La Vega or 35 minutes from Santiago.

Best of all worlds...

Sunbiz1

Jul 29, 2013
Mao gets dry...

We love Jarabacoa, and it's only 20 minutes to La Vega or 35 minutes from Santiago.

Best of all worlds...

Santiago has it's advantages. It's where I went when I wanted to be back in "civilization". I never visited there as a tourist, was a student and lived as Dominicans do. My idea of dining out at the time was a chimi from a street vendor...which I miss terribly along with chinola juice.

I'm also somewhat possessive of the DR, other than the necessity of Sosua as a safe haven some 80 or so years ago I'm not too pleased with all the development and tourism on the north coast...or any coast for that matter. I haven't checked yet, but I'll bet someone has built on Macau near Punta Cana.

The empty beaches are now harbors, and my favorite mountain outside of Jarabacoa is now littered with European style mansions.

But I still love the DR, so long as I have electricity.:)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Ohh, you don't have to live up in the mountains and walk barefoot to get this view, any two story house in one of the many pollution free residential areas in Gurabo with a 24 electric grid can do the trick.

Well like you said the list is endless, you gave us your point of view on the North coast vs Santiago mountain living, thanks. Just that some of us would never change a walk in the huge PUCMM campus, while seeing some of the most gorgeous girls in this island for a walk in the beach, looking at kite suffers, ugly cueros and dudes trying to sell cheap souvenirs. Perhaps some of us would never change the tons of entertainment options we get here, from golf to bowling, to paintball, to motocross for a GYM with an ocean view. Maybe some might never change a diverse nightlife that offers countless clubs that range from tipico parties in the western part of the city, to the clubs that play electronic music in los Jardine for a night life that offers a few cuero infested clubs. Why would anyone want to change the incredible experience of going to a live baseball game at el estadio cibao, or a live basketball game at la arena del Cibao for watching sports on a big flat screen. Maybe some would never change the option of dozen of nice supermarkets, Malls, ferreterias, and restaurants for a pina colada. For the record not everyone is baby boomer retiree, I'm sure many here like me are young, and need a social life that requires a young crowd, decent universities, and decent jobs. I for one can not see how a young guy in his early to mid 20's could ever live in the north coast.

Like you said the list is endless, we can keep going, but we won't get anywhere, there's just too many scenarios, everyone has their own opinions, their own preferences etc.. and I try to respect that. One thing is certain though, it seems that more and more expats are coming down from the north coast to live in Santiago.

Nothing in your post would have me prefer Santiago over Cabarete. Different strokes for different folks.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
One thing I think a lot of people don't understand is that the worst of the worst Dominicans move to the coastal areas to work/hustle/etc.. Also educating children on the north coast is cost prohibitive, ISS is like what, 700-800$ a month? There are no other decent options at a reasonable price. Here in Santiago my boy goes to an amazing school for only 180$ a month, which would be very close to ISS from what I saw when I visited.

One time the key to my suv broke and I had to drive out to Santiago to fix it. I can literally get any product under the sun from my supermarket here for 15-20% less than Playero in Sosua charged for the same products much closer to or already expired. I felt as if most Dominicans on the north coast were too vivo, just waiting for the moment to take advantage of you.. For example, I left my car once at a car wash and just told them to give me un sencillo.. I came back 30 minutes later after a beer and they were spit shining the engine and asking for 800 pesos.. this kind of crap doesn't fly in Santiago.. Internet service here in Santiago is much better than in Cabarete, nicer housing and security cannot be compared to living up there. I'm only like an hour drive away from the beach anyways and we can go any weekend we like.

I also lived in Miami Beach for most of my life so I guess the whole wake up and look at the ocean thing just doesn't appeal to me anymore.. I suggest Santiago to anyone who needs to get stuff done, raise a family, or network as living on the North Coast would be great for someone who has a ton of money to blow and isn't bothered easily by the small stuff.

I will say this though, if I was a multi millionaire with absolutely no cares I would get the nicest penthouse in Ocean Dream plaza in Cabarete and just have servants do all of my bidding.. I think the ocean view can be better appreciated when one doesn't have the stressors of everyday life to think about :)

TL:DR - Different strokes for different folks :)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I also lived in Miami Beach for most of my life so I guess the whole wake up and look at the ocean thing just doesn't appeal to me anymore..
I lived in the Tampa Bay area for many years, and on the water in St. Pete Beach for 12 years, 3 blocks from excellent beaches.

Beaches and water have also lost their appeal to me.

Different strokes...

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
this is the same in most countries where there are a lot of tourists

Yea the worst people like to move into areas of tourists since less people will know who they are/what they are into..

Oh wow, another HUGE dislike of Cabarete, the guys peddling chicas/drugs on the main strip, with the politur standing 30 feet away.. Obviously working together and when the dealer doesn't give the politur the right cut, the dealer and the tourist get locked up.. dangerous stuff.. My poor Canadian friend actually thought smoking pot was legal because of those guys selling so close to the cops, that has to be one of my biggest problems with Cabarete.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
One thing I think a lot of people don't understand is that the worst of the worst Dominicans move to the coastal areas to work/hustle/etc.. Also educating children on the north coast is cost prohibitive, ISS is like what, 700-800$ a month? There are no other decent options at a reasonable price. Here in Santiago my boy goes to an amazing school for only 180$ a month, which would be very close to ISS from what I saw when I visited.

Medical service and expenses is another one. I wanted to do a certain blood test while in Cabarete, went to that CMC center just before Sosua, they quoted me 1,800 pesos for what costs 600 in Santiago. no thanks.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
Before all you guys start packing your bags for a move to Santiago, keep in mind you need some "game" when it come to the ladies in Santiago. Unlike the North Coast, every chica does not think you look like Brad Pitt. :)

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Before all you guys start packing your bags for a move to Santiago, keep in mind you need some "game" when it come to the ladies in Santiago. Unlike the North Coast, every chica does not think you look like Brad Pitt. :)

"Game" like deer or ducks? lol

You are definitely correct. :)

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I lived in Montreal and Toronto all of my 53 years. I have had it up to the ying yang with cities. I visit cities like SD and Santiago and I get depressed, just another city. I hate cities to my core at this time in my life. I live on the North coast now and find my whole outlook on life has changed. I have slowed down and I now smell the coffee. I went to my doctor a couple of weeks ago and was removed from my high blood pressure and cholesterol medicines....I eat well now and have lost weight from the walking. I could never go back to a city....infrastructure is not for me...the flow is where I belong now.