saddened and disappointed once again

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Supermarkets, Dominicans choosing a supermarket or cafeteria instead of street vendors? Reality check!

Go to any jumbo at lunch time from 11:30 to 2:00 and you will see the Cafeteria FULL of nothing
but Dominicans, second floor.

You are not looking at the class of Dominicans. The poor frequent the street vendors. Reality check!

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
You mentioned being Dominican; I wonder if you were actually raised here? What you mentioned above has been the mold of this country for years and it has not changed much.

I think if you read my posts you will know, it's no secret., regardless, what's the point
of even mentioning?

Sep 4, 2012
Laugh it up, Pg. Like I said, I don't care what you or others say. This is a personal
preference. Everybody should be able to post what they like or not and not be laughed
at when it is not being seen their way.

Not all Dominicans. It depends on who the Dominicans are that you ask.

I understand that these street vendors have mouths to feed, but I am looking
out for my health.

What's the point of a foreigner being overseas w/o getting to have a local taste and in your case since you are Dominican and am assuming you don't live in the DR, to get the Dominican taste back upon arrival for a visit in the country?

Health issues, please. Pass the Chicharrones!

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
What's the point of a foreigner being overseas w/o getting to have a local taste and in your case since you are Dominican and am assuming you don't live in the DR, to get the Dominican taste back upon arrival for a visit in the country?

Health issues, please. Pass the Chicharrones!

I do get the taste of chicharrones and other morsels but at the place of my choosing.

Que le aproveche!

Sep 4, 2012
Go to any jumbo at lunch time from 11:30 to 2:00 and you will see the Cafeteria FULL of nothing
but Dominicans, second floor.

You are not looking at the class of Dominicans. The poor frequent the street vendors. Reality check!

Supermarkets and supermarkets cafeterias were not existent up to maybe a few years back in the DR w/exception to Supermaercado Nacional, which was and is not part of the populace today. True Dominicans eat in the streets back then as they do now. Don't make this a classy thing, is not; rather a cultural thing. I know a thing or two about this island :)

Dec 26, 2011
Dominicans eat in supermarket cafeterias because they're convenient, air-conditioned, and pretty good. Those same Dominicans will buy chicharrones or morcilla on the street because that's good stuff too.

The poor don't frequent anything. They eat arroz con huevos fritos or sardinas at home.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I hate to post something that may put this back on track but I have to relate my errand run this morning - just too coincidental.

Stop #1 - for pica pollo ( I'm solo this week)....... I choose 3 pieces of chicken, a slab of that fried/salted cheese and 2 pieces of yuca.
That's when the fun starts.
The chica insists that I take one more piece of yuca..... that makes it an even 100 pesos:bunny:
She wanted meto getmy money's worth.

Stop#2 - buying eggplant for a new recipe I have
Two little eggplants ( I can say it, but not spell it in Espanol)... not a big purchase.
The market is full - French lady beside me, RD'ers trying to nose me out of the way... packed.

The lady looks at me and asks if that's it -- Si senora, no mucho
10 pesos, she yells -- same price for foreigners as Dominicans at my store, she announces to the waiting crowd.:squareeye

How's that for 'on topic' ????

I couldn't resist telling you.............

Sep 4, 2012
Seriously? In lots of the pica pollos the prices are displayed. Where are you living that you don't
know that?

So you eat at a Pica Pollo but not from the street because health issues? ummm, wonder if you have been out back when Jackie Chan is preparing the pechugas? You will be dazzled.

Dec 26, 2011
I hate to post something that may put this back on track but I have to relate my errand run this morning - just too coincidental.

Stop #1 - for pica pollo ( I'm solo this week)....... I choose 3 pieces of chicken, a slab of that fried/salted cheese and 2 pieces of yuca.
That's when the fun starts.
The chica insists that I take one more piece of yuca..... that makes it an even 100 pesos:bunny:
She wanted meto getmy money's worth.

Stop#2 - buying eggplant for a new recipe I have
Two little eggplants ( I can say it, but not spell it in Espanol)... not a big purchase.
The market is full - French lady beside me, RD'ers trying to nose me out of the way... packed.

The lady looks at me and asks if that's it -- Si senora, no mucho
10 pesos, she yells -- same price for foreigners as Dominicans at my store, she announces to the waiting crowd.:squareeye

How's that for 'on topic' ????

I couldn't resist telling you.............

Love it. That's been my experience as well. I wonder how some of these vendors survive as cheap as they are.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Supermarkets and supermarkets cafeterias were not existent up to maybe a few years back in the DR w/exception to Supermaercado Nacional, which was and is not part of the populace today. True Dominicans eat in the streets back then as they do now. Don't make this a classy thing, is not; rather a cultural thing. I know a thing or two about this island :)

Good I'm glad to hear it but don't make it look like I don't know anything either
because although I was born in the DR and not raised, you weren't born or raised
there so don't make it out like you know more than me.

I know that Dominicans have eaten from street vendors, but with the current prices
the poor cannot afford to eat there now. That's my point, do you understand?

I've been traveling over the years the DR extensively since I have family that live there, so it's
not like all of a sudden I just went there.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Love it. That's been my experience as well. I wonder how some of these vendors survive as cheap as they are.

gracias.... - pretty cheap day.... half decent lunch and a vegetable dinner.

Marinate the eggplant - grill it and then sandwich some cheese between 2 slices.
Oil, balsamic, salt/pepper, garlic painted on.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Dominicans eat in supermarket cafeterias because they're convenient, air-conditioned, and pretty good. Those same Dominicans will buy chicharrones or morcilla on the street because that's good stuff too.

The poor don't frequent anything. They eat arroz con huevos fritos or sardinas at home.

Yes, Mr expert on everything Dominican. I will rest from conversing with you on this because it is turning out to be a match of who knows more than who and not on relating experiences.

Dec 26, 2011
Good I'm glad to hear it but don't make it look like I don't know anything either
because although I was born in the DR and not raised, you weren't born or raised
there so don't make it out like you know more than me.

I've been traveling over the years the DR extensively since I have family that live there, so it's
not like all of a sudden I just went there.

Of course you have unique knowledge according to unique experience. But it sounds off when you say the poor frequent street vendors. That's simply not the case.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
So you eat at a Pica Pollo but not from the street because health issues? ummm, wonder if you have been out back when Jackie Chan is preparing the pechugas? You will be dazzled.

Never gotten sick from eating at the places of my own choosing., so they must be doing something right. My preference and it stands.

You like eating from street vendors, like I said before, buen provecho.

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Of course you have unique knowledge according to unique experience. But it sounds off when you say the poor frequent street vendors. That's simply not the case.

When the poor want to eat something besides home cooked food, PG. They go out for cena and buy from the street vendors, I've personally been with alot of the women from the barrios. I
work with the poor, for I have purchased these meals for them.

Do you understand now?