saddened and disappointed once again

Sep 4, 2012
Very true

This is by far not the rule and rather the exception. It's also a manifestation of overseas influences. Dominicans cook home meals or eat at the streets. Those eating at cafeteria do so many time because its close by their places of work not because they rather do it there.

Sep 4, 2012
Yes, Mr expert on everything Dominican. I will rest from conversing with you on this because it is turning out to be a match of who knows more than who and not on relating experiences.

LOL!

PG is indeed at street smart Dominican guetto fellow. He knows how the cookie crumbles around here.

Sep 4, 2012
Never gotten sick from eating at the places of my own choosing., so they must be doing something right. My preference and it stands.

You like eating from street vendors, like I said before, buen provecho.

Bueno, I'll stick with Chicharrones. Que le aprovecha sus Pica-Pollos. :nervous:

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
The one price today and another price tomorrow is nothing new, at least in what I have experienced in all my years here. I am sure it happens to the locals also. Problem is it gets old and annoying after a while. The problem for me is that when there is a error such as on a bill, etc..the aggravation to correct it can send one over the edge. Here getting someone to "own up" to the error is almost near impossible. I think that is what p**ses one off the most. Of course this happens elsewhere but since I live here this is my take on it. You go somewhere buy something and you like it. So you go back the next day and now there is a "new" price, frustrating. Haggling, negotiating, that use be the fun way back when. Now it is just aggravating but that is just me. Like I have said, the older I get the less tolerance I have. And at times less tolerance and living here do not always make a good combination.

Mar 1, 2009
You go in and when you pay you ask "e que tu me ta viendo la cara de pendejo?"
I usually don't check the bill anyway. My ex girlfriend hated that.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
The one price today and another price tomorrow is nothing new, at least in what I have experienced in all my years here. I am sure it happens to the locals also. Problem is it gets old and annoying after a while. The problem for me is that when there is a error such as on a bill, etc..the aggravation to correct it can send one over the edge. Here getting someone to "own up" to the error is almost near impossible. I think that is what p**ses one off the most. Of course this happens elsewhere but since I live here this is my take on it. You go somewhere buy something and you like it. So you go back the next day and now there is a "new" price, frustrating. Haggling, negotiating, that use be the fun way back when. Now it is just aggravating but that is just me. Like I have said, the older I get the less tolerance I have. And at times less tolerance and living here do not always make a good combination.

That's very true, that's been my experience too, different days, different people (even gringos), different prices. Going back and get a new price, haggling with one person when boss comes and changes the price, all of that, it's just the way it is here and in many other 3rd world countries. The aim is to get the maximum out of their very few (gringo/local) customers.

But loosing face and owing up to mistakes is far worse in some other countries (Thailand!?), if dealt with a smile it usually is not too bad here - specially in bars !

Sep 4, 2012
Keep on mind that prices fluctuate in DR do to the changes of the economy. Hardly ever is the price of anything the same it was yesterday, never mind pollo which changes daily and its vendor, location dependent anyways.

Most of street vendors are re-seller of goods, they have to increase their prices for a gain or else their business would at loss. El pollero buy pollos from the market, cook it, prepare it and re-sale it so he can have some profits therein. Profits would come in the price you and I will pay later.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
You go in and when you pay you ask "e que tu me ta viendo la cara de pendejo?"
I usually don't check the bill anyway. My ex girlfriend hated that.

Ha ha! My father says, que, tu te crees que yo soy turista?!? They smile and lo and behold prices drop.:)

In time those who want to live in the DR will learn how to navigate.

Sep 4, 2012
There is famous Dominican say. It goes "todo los dias sale a la calle un pendejo." They live by it, just don't be the one :)